1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 50PHD7 from Joe Fernand

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ihan, Nov 19, 2004.

1. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi all,

Just a quick note to say that I took delivery of the above item from Joe today.

I was upgrading from a 42" 6 series SD panel, and I must say, I am absolutely delighted. The main improvement is the almost total lack of colour banding. The difference in colour banding is vast compared with an SD panel.

I also purchased from Joe a JS RGB-VGA converter (for my sky box) which gives a large improvement over the SCART board I was previously using.

Joe's pricing was extremely competitive with AV-sales. In his favour, Joe employs his own delivery guys (not a national courier), who was actually early (!) waiting outside my flat, for me to get home from work. You are therefore guaranteed that the display is shipped correctly.

I would publicly like to thank Joe for the great service and knowledgable pre-sales advice. I recommend him highly to any of you considering buying a plasma.

Any questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Regards,
    ihan

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    How is it for buzzing ?

My series 6 50" panny used to buzz quite badly but I am very susceptable to any form of buzzing.

Also have they made any changes to the menu system or any extra options/settings ?

Does it still have the same integrator and service menu options ?

Cheers, Lee

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Hello all

ihan - many thanks for the positive feedback I guess you'll be re-watching a few favourite movies this weekend then!!!

Lee - the 7 Series Display's have a 'new look' menu - we haven't really had enough time to fully explore what's on offer to see what's actually changed; so far most menus seem to behave as expected and no surprises.

I cant say the units I've installed cards in so far have 'sounded' any louder (or quieter) than expected.

Best regards

Joe

4. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Joe, I'm watching Gladiator at the moment, and enjoying every minute; thanks.

Hi Lee,

I can't hear it buzzing, I've just put my ear to the display face, and all I can hear is a faint 'hum'. IMHO, there is no way anyone could hear it a few ft away.

I'm no expert, but the settings menu has the same options as the 6 series. I've read through the manual, and I can't find anything that is previously unheard of.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'integrator'. I've not looked in the service menu, I don't want to start messing about with any settings, since I don't know what they mean, I'll leave well alone (sorry for my reluctance).

5. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for that Joe...I guess they may have just carried over the PSU from the series 6.

I am still undecided about whether to go with an MXE1 or another panny...at the moment the MXE1 is winning especially with the current price of the 50".

I went to see SimonO's MXE1 last night and took my Lumagen ProHDP with me and we got a stunning image out of it via DVI with FRC mode 2 from his panny RP-82 SDI player...but his screen buzzes also plus it seems to have a problem with the black level on the analogue inputs which were not present on the DVI input and then there's the whole issue regarding lower overal CR level.

The main downside to the panny is the problems with the DVI card which make it not worthwile even bothering with...and it dosen't look like the HDMI blade will support native res at 50Hz either.

If only someone could take the best bits of the panny along with the best bits of the pio and then make it silent...I'd be happy then.

Cheers, Lee

6. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well that's good to hear Ihan...I could hear mine from 4m away over quiet dialogue :eek:

Have you done a direct swap from the 42" to the 50" ? have you kept the same viewing distance ?

Don't blame you for not wanting to mess with it...if your happy then that's great :smashin: I just get this urge to fiddle :rolleyes:

Cheers, Lee

7. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Lee,

I've sold my PW6 to a friend, he's watched many movies on it, so he knows exactly what he's buying. I still think the SD display is the best on offer in its particular price bracket; if only it didn't colour band as much, I doubt very much if I'd have replaced it.

One downside to the HD panels, is that the internal scaler produces more artifacts than the SD panels. I can see a 'very slight' ringing on dark vertical edges on a light background that wasn't there with the SD panel. I suppose a 576 upscale to 768 is technically quite difficult, and is best acheived with an external scaler. I will consider buying one of these next year, when I've saved up enough money (I've spent enough for now)! BTW, I'm watching DVDs from an Arcam DV79 via component in progressive mode, since it has a better deinterlacer (IMO) than either the SD or HD panel. I didn't buy the DVI board and try the Arcam's HDMI, because Gordon reported he couldn't get it working at 576 into a PHD6 with DVI. I may purchase the HDMI board when it comes out, but it's probably most cost effective to wait and buy an external scalar. I think Joe recommended the Lumagen HDP Pro.

Re: viewing distance, I'm sat 9ft away (same as with 42PW6), and in my opinion it isn't too big. You probably notice more MPEG2 artifacts from the sky box, but you can't blame the display for that.

All in all, I'm very happy :)

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    High-Definition Multimedia Interface Specification Version 1.1
    HDMI Licensing, LLC Page 66 of 104
    • An HDMI Sink that is capable of receiving any of the following video format timings using any
    other component analog or uncompressed digital video input, shall be capable of receiving
    that format across the HDMI interface.
    • 1280x720p @ 59.94/60Hz
    • 1920x1080i @ 59.94/60Hz
    • 1280x720p @ 50Hz
    • 1920x1080i @ 50Hz

Loonatic, HDMI looks hopeful to me, I'd have thought this extract was definitive. That is a statement telling you it is not HDMI if it won't do this. So at least you could get your money back on the board under the trade description act. I am planning on testing this before selling any, for that reason.

9. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    good to hear your positive experience ihan, am expecting delivery of a 50PHD7BS from Joe next weekend - along with some other toys.