Panasonic 50PH10 or 50PZ70

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by KingGorilla, Sep 7, 2007.

1. KingGorilla

KingGorilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Guys

I'd like some advice..... I'm looking at purchasing a 50" plasma and have narrowed it down to these 2

Pana 50PH10
    Pana 50PZ70

i'll be viewing from approx 10ft with SkyHD. I'll be getting a PS3 later in the year so will be watching BluRay then.... so i need to factor the screen performance for BR in.

The budget doesnt stretch to the Pio 508XD.... and I have seperate amp/speakers. Also I know 1 is a commercial panel(not full hd) and 1 is a consumer tv(full hd) but I dont subscribe to its full hd or nothing... all i'm after is the best quality picture.... any advice would be great.... :D

Thanks
    KG

2. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    It's going to be difficult as it's unlikely you'll be able to compare these side by side. I think both will be very good but I personally gravitate to the panel only option...although I must admit I want to wait a generation or 2 to see where the Full HD; 24fps support etc goes but I already have a panel so don't have any urgency to upgrade.

3. KingGorilla

KingGorilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Tbh i had pretty much settled on the 50PH10 and was initially going to ask if anyone had tried BR from a PS3 through the VGA input as I understand this accepts the 24f rate... and if they have, whats the picture quality like....

but then it seems like everyone is going on about the PZ70 at the mo. Altho whether this is because its a new model or it is truly worthy of its praise I cant really say (until i've seen one in action anyway).

If i had the budget i'd just buy a Fujitsu and be done with it :smashin:

4. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Agree - it's always about the new model and the latest must have spec. My own route will be the 50PHXX when I do decide...just by the time I do I'm hoping some of this latest craze stuff will be commonplace and included as standard.

I have the PS3 and Sky HD on the PWD8 panel, not HD Ready I know but very definitely a step up from SD sources. I have people walk into my lounge and they drool and it's not even a HD ready set. I think you'll be more than happy with the PH10. The juddering on the PS3 is down to whether you are susceptible to that particular "feature" and frankly most folk don't notice it until someone points it out....then they're generally sorry that it was pointed out :) as they were perfectly happy before. Same goes for many of the so called "issues" that people raise here.

To end off...it's best that you do see these panels before you buy, for the PH series you'll need to go to a reputable dealer, which could be difficult finding but will have the added benefit of being set up properly. The PZ you'll find at most of the box shifters...but setup in store will vary depending on the source they use and if you're able to play around with source, setting etc. If they aren't willing to let you play about with the set then they don't want your business so go somewhere that will let you play around, even to the extent that you are able to take in a DVD player or a PS3 if you have one to test how it performs.

5. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The PH10 is just a bare-bones plasma panel.

You have to put some thought into how you intend to connect your AV stuff to it & which video boards you will need.

If on the other hand you have a decent amp with inputs/outputs & switching for HDMI & component then you are sorted.

The PZ70 is an all-in-one solution - connections are there, stand is there, speakers are there, terrestrial tuner is there. OK 2 HDMI, 2 Scart inputs & one set of component inputs may not be enough for all your AV clobber but at least they are readily available on the unit unlike with the PH-series where inputs have to be added.

6. KingGorilla

KingGorilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think i'm going to stick with my initial thinking of the 50PH10....

I'm just waiting for a custom wooden tv stand to be built and then i'll get in contact with AV Sales and sort out the panel.

My Yammy amp is next in line for an upgrade but i just want to use this for audio switching with video going direct to the panel so i'm not too bothered about upscaling amps. I know it means more input boards but it'd give me the option of adding a scaler if i ever win the lottery :)

I'll probably end up getting an DVI board for Sky HD and getting a HDMI to DVI cable(not an expensive 1 either :D), then trying a PS3 thru VGA to see what its like.

I guess there always something bigger and better just round the corner so you may never buy anything!!

KG

7. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    I'm in the same boat KG.

Was set on the PH10 as i've beem more than happy with my PH9. But then the pz xxx comes along.......

Initial reaction is to stay clear of the consumer screens as i've owned 2 great panels. I also don't think the extra money for a Pioneer/Fujitsu is worth it - although i appreciate they may be better.

Let us know how you get on!

8. low-def.

low-def.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +381
    when is the 50PZ70 out in the UK ?