1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 500 series - 50"

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by MarkTy, May 29, 2005.

1. MarkTy

MarkTy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know when the Panasonic 500 series - 50" will be available ?

Does it's spec sound as if it will be better than the Pioneer pdp505 XDE, and for pure quality of picture using Denon DVD 3910, and Sky Digital (now and eventually Sky HD) what should I go for please ?

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,933
    Hello MarkTy

Reading the spec sheets on 50" Displays will give you absolutely no idea how well they will look with a range of Video sources.

If you stick with the 'BIg Boys' who are now on sixth, seventh or even eighth generation pixel arrays you can be assured of a pretty decent image with most sources and a very decent image with High Definition sources; though do keep in mind that once your through the Honey Moon period with any of these units you will see both strengths and weaknesses.

Every PlasmaTV or Display I've used has had some very visible video processing flaws and personally I prefer to use a Plasma Display with an external video Processor doing as much Film Detection, Deinterlacing, Colour, Contrast, Scaling etc as possible.

With the Source equipment you've indicated again I'd suggest that a Plasma Display + External processor is a better bet than a PlasmaTV + direct connect to the source.

We partner Fujitsu 40 Series, Pioneer MXE1 and Panasonic 7 Series Displays with DVDO, Lumagen and other processors and no PlasmaTV comes close and the same will be true with the latest Viera range.

Best regards

Joe

3. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will second Joe's comments as a user of said device mate.

dil

4. MarkTy

MarkTy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that

What level of Lumagen processor would you recommend (ie do I need the one costing 2k, or will the 1k do the job I need)

I'll be watching Sky (then sky HD) and DVD. I watch a lot of sport...particularly football....if that makes a difference

Thanks again everyone

5. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Joe - I've asked this on another thread, but this one seems just as appropriate: given that the new Viera HDs have an HDMI connection, is there any reason why they can't use a scaler, too (Lumagen VisionDVI, say)?

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,933
    Hello Sulis

As long as you set the Video Processor to Output a signal that's compatible with the HDMI Input then there should be no reason not to use one.

If the HDMI Input is like the majority of them you may find you cant do an exact Pixel match between the Lumagen and the Pixels on the screen as the resolution of the screen may not be covered by one of the 'compatible' signals the HDMI socket accepts.

With a Pioneer XDE for example you can use the Lumagen to good effect at 1280x720P into the HDMI socket but you cant set the Lumagen to 1024x768 (43") or 1280x768 (50").

Best regards

Joe

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,933
    MarkTY

The three Lumagen Vision models have a common platform with differing feature sets.

The VisionDVI is a great bargain and would work well with your source kit - that said the VisionHDP is now beginning to stretch the video processing differences between itself and the DVI as the latest Firmware releases are beginning to tap into the extra processing horsepower the HDP offers you.

The VisionHDP will offer you one potentially key difference over the VisionDVI for SKY HD users - future Firmware updates for the HDP promise the ability to Deinterlace 1080i Film Sources; this is not available on the DVI.

The VisionProHDP is a refined version of the HDP and whilst its nice to have the last word in refinement I tend to use them with Projectors more than Displays; though if your feeling flush please don't let me stop you going for the best on offer from Lumagen :)

Best regards

Joe

8. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, Joe -

Out of curiosity, does the Lumagen pixel match at 1024 x 720p? (That's the PV50037.) And does it make that much of a difference?

9. Danish T

Danish T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TH50PV500 will be available with panasonic within the next 2-3 weeks .. end of june to be precise.. With the prices you looking for somewhere in the region on 4000-4500 depending on the display option you go for .. Again there will be a free dvd recorder or half price HDD recorder with it .. I guess when the time comes there will be more deals around ... I have seen them at the official panasonic launch and it looks stunning ... simply mind blowing PQ ..

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,933
    Hello Sulis

You can easily create a 1024x720P (50/60) signal from a Lumagen - will the Display support it is a very different question!

I don't have a Panasonic manual here to confirm or not but I rather suspect Not will be the answer.

Any Viera owners out there with a user manual to hand :)

Best regards

Joe

11. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    According to the Panasonic PV500 pdf, 1024 x 720p (50) is the number of pixels for the 37" plasma...