Panasonic 500 Aspect Ratio Issue

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by jim_is_ere, Oct 31, 2005.

1. jim_is_ere

jim_is_ere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Not sure what is going on here, I have looked at everything.
    Problem is, when playing a DVD, for example Lord of the Rings, the aspect ratio comes out at 22:9 (Letterbox), meaning that I have to select zoom 3 to get full screen.

When I got the set and tried out the Lord of the rings movies I was a getting a 16:9 picture, which meant I only had to go to zoom 1 for full screen. It seems I have to select zoom 3 now on all DVD's., which isn't ideal as picture quality suffers!! I have the picture setting to Auto, so I haven't changed anything - I think??

By the way - I don't have this problem during normal viewing ie Sky!

Anyone had this issue or know where I am going wrong!!

thanks in advance

Jim

2. pknarb

pknarb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    First of all you need to set up your DVD player correctly. Make sure it's set up to 16:9 televison and not 4:3. I have a feeling that your DVD player is not set up correctly, since you have used Zoom 1 and Zoom 3 which is usually for 4:3 letterboxed content.

Now, there are two wide screen formats 1.85:1 and 2.35:1. You can usually see the aspect ratio on the back of the DVD - LOTR is 2.35:1.

1.85:1 will fill your screen while there will still be some "letterboxing" with 2.35:1. If you want to get rid of the "letterboxing", choose zoom 2.

Zoom 2 will chop of some of the image on both sides and due to the zoom, the picture quality will suffer slightly. Subtitles might also only be partly visible.

3. jim_is_ere

jim_is_ere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Thanks for that - I am an idiot!!

I think I friend of mine, who came around the other night had altered a few things for me!!

I tried my xbox and DVD player, both had been changed to letterbox - the fiend I'll get him back ;)

cheers

Jim