• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic 50" TC-P50S60 vs Samsung 51" PN51F5300AFXZA

Pougan

Standard Member
Hey Guys!

I currently have a 42" Panasonic Viera that is maybe 3 or 4 years old. It has been a great TV however I've got some Best Buy gift cards (through Visa Points and Time Warner Cable) and have been considering upgrading to a 50" TV. So far I have narrowed it down to the Panasonic 50" TC-P50S60 for $699 or the Samsung 51" PN51F5300AFXZA for $649.

So I guess the biggest question is: is the Panasonic worth the extra $50 and loss of an extra inch of size? From what I've read the S60 is a great TV (only with some issues in very bright rooms) but I have been having a very hard time finding any info on the F5300. I know Panasonic's Plasmas are widely considers one of the best plasmas available (I certainly love mine), but Samsungs are also considered very high quality, correct?

And I don't care about 3D (can't see it) or smart tv features (xbox, ps3 for that) or lots of hdmi connections or speaker quality (a/v receiver). I'm really just interested in the best picture quality for my buck.

Thank you all for your help!

Pougan

Standard Member
At the very least, does anyone know anything about the PN515300 from Samsung? There is very little information online about it. I'm guessing it is very new.

vickster

Distinguished Member
You might be best trying www.avsforum.com as I am guessing you are in the USA ? This forum is UK based and the vast majority of posters are in Europe where the models and even manufacturers vary :). However in general plasma gives a more natural picture, with deeper blacks and more fluid motion handling, while LCD is brighter, sharper and uses less electricity

Pougan

Standard Member
Haha, I knew something was off. Didn't even notice I was missing the "S" :laugh:. I will definitely have to go over there and ask around.

Oh, and both those TV's are Plasmas. From everything I've seen, it seems in order to get a really good picture on a LCD/LED, you have to go for the higher-end stuff. I also have a problem with ghosting on LCD/LED especially the lower end models. Even cheap Plasmas, which I'm looking at right now, seem to rival the picture quality on higher-end LCD/LED and definitely blow the low-end LCD/LED's out of the water. And as a bonus I never have to worry about ghosting on Plasmas.

Thanks again for the help!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom