Panasonic 50 and 65inch VT20 pricing/reviews/owners thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, to sum things up, the possible issues are:

• flicker in light parts of the image, to which a viewer can be susceptible or not (so go see the plasma for yourself!)
  • rising MLL/black levels, acknowledged by Panasonic itself but no detail about the levels until the rise actually kicks in (so we have to wait)
Did I forget any? ;)

/me is going to see the VT20 on saturday, if all goes well, and hopefully compare it against some other screen (like the Philips, Sony and Samsung LED LCD screens)

they should change the name of this thread to LETS SLATE THE VT20 APART THREAD, because thats all people seem to be doing

I am beginning to believe that certain people do not have the basic intellect to move the topic of potential problems to the appropriate thread. The funny thing is that their leader has done the right thing and moved the topic elsewhere. I am starting to think that ******** is an apt name as thats what his followers seem to like kissing. This is my last post on this, strictly about VT20 from now on :lease: :rolleyes:

I just don't know what to think anymore....I was just looking forward to getting this TV, getting it calibrated and enjoying watching TV again. Seems like it is impossible now with people saying this COULD happen etc etc

Just don't know anymore. Feel fed up to be honest! Im a rookie when it comes to AV etc but thanks to this site I have learnt a few things but you can probably see from the questions I ask about things how clueless I am with certain aspects etc. I own a panasonic plasma and have never noticed any problems to be honest but now, I still feel confused as to wether I can buy this TV, get it calibrated and be happy with it.

Last edited:
just had a look at lord of the rings on sd dvd, and the picture is just awsome, it cant be far off blueray quality :smashin: ps playing through a sony bdp-s760 and the vt20

I just don't know what to think anymore....I was just looking forward to getting this TV, getting it calibrated and enjoying watching TV again. Seems like it is impossible now with people saying this COULD happen etc etc

Just don't know anymore. Feel fed up to be honest! Im a rookie when it comes to AV etc but thanks to this site I have learnt a few things but you can probably see from the questions I ask about things how clueless I am with certain aspects etc. I own a panasonic plasma and have never noticed any problems to honest but now, I still feel confused as to wether I can buy this TV, get it calibrated and be happy with it.

I would go for it mate as your waranty will cover most things and as people have said it might not happen.:)

Just don't know anymore. Feel fed up to be honest!

I wouldn't worry, you could get hit by a bus before it happens..;)

Lifes to short to worry about could happen. Worry about it when it happens. As long as you have made an informed decision that is the main thing.

The black levels could rise, but even at 3times there original value they will be better than all the other screens available now.

Unfortunately there is no perfect screen.:(

As long as there is no flicker (for you), just relax and enjoy the set. I have a projector set up in another room, but it doesn't stop me enjoying the 32" crt in the living room, or the 32" lcd in the bedroom, despite them having inferior quality. You watch the program/film not the tv;)

That's true, Ricky. I would be able to enjoy it more if I got it calibrated BUT even then I am being told it is pointless getting it calibrated....

just had a look at lord of the rings on sd dvd, and the picture is just awsome, it cant be far off blueray quality :smashin: ps playing through a sony bdp-s760 and the vt20

I am hoping to get my set on staurday. Any tips?
I am gonna be using it on THX mode but i am going to gaming for a few hours on saturday night. Have you done any gaming on it?

Ok lads i give up and enough of my rants just enjoy your VT's.
Another good heated debate.:)

If i had the chance i would have this tv tomorrow and to anyone thinking about it just get it with a good waranty and i am sure you will enjoy it.:thumbsup:

That's true, Ricky. I would be able to enjoy it more if I got it calibrated BUT even then I am being told it is pointless getting it calibrated....

You are right that if there is a drift in the black level the calibration will be effected, but if you are worried about that, why not calibrate it yourself? It will not be as good as a pro calibration, but will get you some of the way there, will be available to you whenever you want to retest, will be available for other/replacement sets. Plus you get an enormous amount of satisfaction from the results;) Barry (tele), do you agree?

Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch. It is not meant to come over that way. It is just highlighting another option for you.

Last edited:
I am hoping to get my set on staurday. Any tips?
I am gonna be using it on THX mode but i am going to gaming for a few hours on saturday night. Have you done any gaming on it?
like you said just leave it in thx and gameing mode . its absolutely brilliant with the ps3, its like having a complete new games library, and blueray is something else:smashin:just looking forward to next friday-red dead redemption

like you said just leave it in thx and gameing mode . its absolutely brilliant with the ps3, its like having a complete new games library, and blueray is something else:smashin:just looking forward to next friday-red dead redemption

mate what settings are you using when gaming on the ps3 ? i have to change the settings to side by side 3d on the tv and whats the best settings on the ps3 especially avatar cheers

Lets change the subject shall we..is there any reason this thread is not in the 3d plasma forum :confused: :D

mate what settings are you using when gaming on the ps3 ? i have to change the settings to side by side 3d on the tv and whats the best settings on the ps3 especially avatar cheers
i havnt got avatar. For settings ive had it in gameing mode, just cant get over the differance in graphics even fallout 3 which is normally a bland looking game;) i think the thing is with this telly its not just the blacks but the overall colours they look so real compared toany other tv

Last edited by a moderator:

Cool. I have really missed a big screen since playing on my old CRT :(
Red dead redemption, thats a sequel right? The first games going into my PS3 (which has been gathering dust because i refuse to play it without a HD set and my Onkyo SR876 blaring) is GOW3 and Heavy Rain :thumbsup: I have also ordered Toy Story 1 and 2 on blu ray for the kids. Well looking foward to it.

your missing out not having avatar imo i picked a copy up for a tenner in 3d its astounding just a pain in the arse changing settings every time

i havnt got avatar. For settings ive had it in gameing mode, just cant get over the differance in graphics even fallout 3 which is normally a bland looking game;)

Fallout 3 a great game! Can't see how the VT20 can make them dull graphics look any better. This set must be special!

your missing out not having avatar imo i picked a copy up for a tenner in 3d its astounding just a pain in the arse changing settings every time

I have heard the game aint all that but i am going to have to get it just for the 3D side of things.

I have heard the game aint all that but i am going to have to get it just for the 3D side of things.

in 2d its a bit bobbins but in 3d its glorious im running out of adjectives to describe it :D you just put the glasses on and just say wow wow this is amazing, its hard to get it across how good it is i smile from ear to ear when playing it :thumbsup:

in 2d its a bit bobbins but in 3d its glorious im running out of adjectives to describe it :D you just put the glasses on and just say wow wow this is amazing, its hard to get it across how good it is i smile from ear to ear when playing it :thumbsup:
have to nip to game tomorrow and pick up a preowned copy:cool:

Lets change the subject shall we..is there any reason this thread is not in the 3d plasma forum :confused: :D

because it's also a good 2D TV and you will use it far more in 2D for the foreseeable future. With only 3 manufactures and a handful off models I don't think the Plasma forum need sub forums anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom