1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 5 Series - Screen Protection

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ispeed40, Jan 16, 2003.

1. ispeed40

ispeed40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I saw a thread a while back about clear (Perspex ?) covers for Plasmas, to protect from 2 year old sticky fingers.

I ultimately intend to put the screen on the wall, which is protection enough. In the meantime, can anyone recommend a place which sells them ready made.

I'm not really into DIY, but anything would be a blessing, so ideas are welcome too !

(OH, Its a PANNY 5 SERIES (EX), 42")

Cheers
    Speedy

2. ispeed40

ispeed40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    51 views and no reply, guess everyone must either have no kids or wall mounted screens !!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    ispeed

The sticky finger marks wipe off - its the flying Mega Zords that are the real worry!

Best regards

Joe

4. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is an issue for me too . . . even wall mounted, it won't be long before my little bundle of joy will be able to reach the screen once it's installed . . .

Can I ask what people generally use to clean their plasma glass, and what is recommended ? Is it just a lint-free cloth ?? I fear that might struggle with sticky finger prints (it certainly doesn't work very well on my 28" tosh at the moment !)

5. GuitarGray

GuitarGray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i saw the thread about pespex n stiky fingers too
    you can usualy get a bit cut to size at any glass works or diy shops (glassworks are usualy cheaper)
    use sticky velcro on tv edge and same on perspex
    perspex works well. as i live in a bedsit and kitchen greese n cooking stuff gets everywhere:) its a good cheep solution and very affective i also have a light wallrug to cover it with ,also using velcro to attach, it looks very nice and protects my hard earned toy:)

6. bluebear

bluebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ispeed40,

One thing to think about is "reflection" of images caused by the Perspex cover.

The screen size is very large, and the Panny glass is very good at stopping reflection, but covering the Panny with any other material may cause it to look like a mirror.

Bluebear.
    :D

7. GuitarGray

GuitarGray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no mirror problems here. cant see any diference at all i dont have a briht lit room but i have 60 watt bulbs and there is no more reflection than without perspex

8. GuitarGray

GuitarGray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    perspex 2mm or 4mm may have diferent reflective properties!!
    BUT it will keep sticky fingers and flying megazoids from ...king it up totaly.. you can always take it off to wiew and replace when finished if you need to..so highly recomended by me may not work for everyone but at £10 is fits perect for my use:)
    Graeme