1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 5 and awful s-video

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by JamieD, Jan 29, 2003.

1. JamieD

JamieD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've had a search thru' this forum for others with a similar problem but drew a blank, so here goes...

Got my panny, got almost everything hooked via scart to vga box from J.S.Tech. Luverly. Now my panny came with the RCA board so I thought I'd use it.

Decided to plug in a DV video camera via nice s-video cable from J.S. Tech and was devastated by the tizzing and cackness of the picture. So I plugged it in via Composite and it was loads better, softer pic but watchable. Hmmm.

Plugged Playstation 2 in via s-vid instead of rgb scart. Also terrible.

So, I wonder if the RCA board (TY-42TM4ZB) is bad or is it because it doesn't like my EX european plasma? (Joe from tmf said previously that Euro series 4 boards were different to British boards)

My only idea so far is check if the board is fitted correctly, i.e. undo the four screws, pull it out, wiggle it in the air, and ram it back in, and re-screw. Any other suggestions?

2. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I viewed a 42" Tosh set today with a Pioneer DVD player. It was initially connected via Svideo. The picture was so bad I was astounded.

Plasmas seem to be very fussy about picture quality. Svideo does not look like an option for Plasma real VHS vision.

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i`m suprised at your findings as before i had a dvd player with component i used to use the s-video and i found it vibrent and sharp.

4. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Again maybe down to setup but i cant stress how bad the picture was, really, really bad. If they leave it setup like that no one will buy that set after viewing it in that RS branch.

On the copyright warning screen before the dvd started playing there were evident scan lines even worse than those on my faulty Samsung.

It looked good component even via their chepo limit prog scan player.

5. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I must say that the S/Vid on my panny is not fantastic, but the VGA and component are just great

6. DaveCheltenham

DaveCheltenham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Just to say that that like others, my experience of the S-Video input is very very good. Not quite as good as RGB and I think the problem(s) could be in the source or the cable.

7. JamieD

JamieD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I solved my bad s-video problem.

Erm... just unplugged the cables, looked at them and plugged them back in. Everything lovely.

I had my DVD player running RGB to VGA plasma input and s-video to plasma s-video input and switching between the two, they were both great, hardly any difference between s-video and rgb... which can only mean one thing:

By the time you have money to buy a nice tv and home cinema rig, your eyes and ears have degraded by an inverse proportion. :)

So that's why that Alba cassette deck sounded so good when I was a kid!

jamie

8. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Sounds like a lose/broken (or in some other way dodgy) connection in your s-video cable to me.

StooMonster