• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic 46ST30 or 42GT30

al4x

Established Member
narrowed my search down to 2 similar priced on JL website

both about 900£ with 2 pairs of glasses if i sold the 3d blu ray player that comes with the GT

approx 8 foot viewing

use
SD viewing via Windows media centre
Blu ray viewing via Media player classic home cinema with .mkv files
Occasional use with PC [will be careful about image burn]
games via pc only [no consoles]

it will be connected to my PC via this route
PC->GFX card->HDMI 1.4a -> 3d AV receiver -> HDMI 1.4a ->TV
-> Surround system

So a 3rd screen from my PC will appear on the TV where i will access WMC/MPC-HC/Games etc

I already have the receiver/speakers/cables

So which tv would be better? I would love a £900 deal on the GT46 then id have no decision to make! even without 3d glasses [if its likely to come in sales i will wait until xmas eve/post xmas sales]

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
For a start, if you plan to display static windows on the screen all the time, plasma ist a good idea.

GT30 vs ST30 well the GT is the better set higher in the range. Have you read the reviews and done a comparison on the Panasonic UK site?

a 46" GT30 for 900? they have a RRP around 1500, you can get them for around 1100, 900 is a bit of an ask, maybe when the new sets come out, but then stock will be very low.

TimmyBee86

Established Member
well you had your chance last week when richer sounds were advertising the 46GT30 with blu-ray, glasses and warranty for 970. Shame they realised that price was meant to be for the 42!!!

al4x

Established Member
well you had your chance last week when richer sounds were advertising the 46GT30 with blu-ray, glasses and warranty for 970. Shame they realised that price was meant to be for the 42!!!

damn, i would have had that, and seeing that the deal was there will make me less likely to want either of what i listed!

gutted on that,

i wouldnt really be displaying static images [except in game] i would power on the tv and immediately start the blu ray/WMC, the display would be static for minutes at most.

but if that deal was around i cant really go for any of these! wish i didnt know!

TimmyBee86

Established Member
Well it wasnt a real deal. it was a typo.
RS still do very good deals on the 42 and 46. and i doubt they will get much cheaper than they already are

al4x

Established Member
is 42 reasonable for that distance or will i have to push the sofa forward from the wall?

thinking about it a 42 might be a tad small, im used to sitting about a foot and a half away from a 27 and 24 inch monitor, but i am currently also watching tv from said 27 in moniotr from 8 feet

Last edited:

TimmyBee86

Established Member
get a wall mounting bracket that pulls away from the wall...

I think viewing distance is really a personal choice, and it depends on what you use the TV for.
I sit about 3-4 ft from my 50"...

al4x

Established Member
get a wall mounting bracket that pulls away from the wall...

I think viewing distance is really a personal choice, and it depends on what you use the TV for.
I sit about 3-4 ft from my 50"...

yeah i plan to get a bracket seeing as all my equipment will be in the adjacent room, there will be no cables visible at all.

looks like 46 it is, grr means i will proabably be waiting for a good price on the GT30.

TimmyBee86

Established Member

TimmyBee86

Established Member
be warned...
John Lewis are doing the same deal, but it looks like they're giving away 2nd gen 3d glasses (EW3D2ME)

I was assuming the RS deal was with the 3rd gen (...3D3ME) but now im not sure

al4x

Established Member
worth a look, i might look at the john lewis version of that as they do free delivery, and i can leave it late as their offer is on until 24th december, which i guess means RS offer will be on that long as well. Does seem the best offer atm i agree

al4x

Established Member
think im going to wait for the price to be right. any good going into JL/RS right near xmas or in the sales?

vickster

Distinguished Member
JL already have the 42ST30 on a special at £550

No idea if it'll be available cheaper, already come down quite a lot lately

al4x

Established Member
JL already have the 42ST30 on a special at £550

No idea if it'll be available cheaper, already come down quite a lot lately

yeah i would go for that price i think, but i do think i need to get to the shops to try to get an idea about which size to get, 42 or 46. cant tell without a set being there

al4x

Established Member
is 1099 a good price for the 46GT30 with
5 year warranty
2x glass4es
3d blu ray player
some blu rays?

from RS

i was hoping for less than 1000 but 1099 is the cheapest ive seen, dont know whether to hold out a tad longer

Meyrick Man

Prominent Member
Amazon £950 for the 46GT30 with 3d blu ray player and 2 pairs of glasses with free delivery!!!!

With the free blu ray discs included! Avatar 3d discs go for £50 plus on Ebay and Star Wars £30ish

Hope this helps??

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Amazon £950 for the 46GT30 with 3d blu ray player and 2 pairs of glasses with free delivery!!!!

With the free blu ray discs included! Avatar 3d discs go for £50 plus on Ebay and Star Wars £30ish

Hope this helps??

927.82 for just the set, just looked. £950 for a 46" with player and glasses and drlivery? must have been a mistake.

Meyrick Man

Prominent Member
Just checked Amazon and put 46GT30 and Blu Ray player and 2 pairs of glasses in basket...

Discount is then applied.

Grand total £951 and then claim for the discs! Great buy....

AlandEi

Established Member
Don't forget that JL will price match with high street stores retrospectively, up to 28 days after purchase, taking the 5 year warranty into account of course.

Alan.

al4x

Established Member
^john lewis wont match that will they? if they will i will buy now

ive just looked, they dont, i guess john lewis is the better bet, just for peace of mind

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom