Panasonic 46pz80B To wall mount or place on a stand?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Ashley30, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Ashley30

Ashley30
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Just bought this from Costco today due to large amount of people reccomending it on the forum....Thanks :thumbsup:.

Now in a dilemma to place it on the chimney breast which is 10ft away or into the bay window area, where the viewing distance would be 14ft. Mostly watch the tv in the night. The fire surround I have on my chimney breast is nearly 4ft high. So would the TV be to hight to watch being that high? I do have recliners so will recline it majority of times when watching tv. I have seen a stand on offer from e buyer for £25. How much am I looking to spend a wall bracket?

What option would you go for?

Is it o.k placing the plasma above a fire surround? read somewhere you should place it away from fire points.

All advice and recomendations will greatly be appreciated.

2. JamesG

JamesG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, have just bought it in Costco today as well
    Can you send me the link to the £25 stand please
    Many thanks
    James

3. hilly10

hilly10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I personally cannot stand a TV above a fireplace it looks just so wrong and I would think to high. I wll go and fetch my flame suit:eek:

4. ian_m42

ian_m42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Its known in the trade, so I was told, as the "chav" position. Used to be called "Changing Rooms" position as thats where they always placed the screen after wrecking the room decor and removing it from its nice stand and equipment stack.....

I will get my flame suit as well......

5. derbyjj

derbyjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi got mine yesterday from haydock costco.
    Was considering mounting on the fire place but decided against it as it would look a bit chavy.
    I'm about 11 ft away and it feel its a bit too clsose. HD hotel rwanda on c4hd was great but whitechapel on ITV SD looked like a 1980s video. so woul suggest you use the bay. if you find you need yo be closer you could always mount it on the FP later on.

Have a bro in law who has a 42 inch over the fireplace and watching footie as his always gives me a crick in the neck.

6. samgamgee

samgamgee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Hmm this is worrying..I'll be about 10-11foot away from mine.

7. oj0

oj0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    From the general consensus, anything on ITV on a HDTV generally looks like a 1980s video, never fear!

8. loggie

loggie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was enquiring before about mounting a plasma above a fire place and was directed here Plasma TV Buying Guide: Hanging your Plasma TV Over the Fireplace
    For me wall mounting or above a fireplace is both a space saving necessity and also gets it away from tiny hands if young kids are about. My 3 year old sometimes hugs the screen of my crt when dora the explorer and the like are on and has even used crayon on it. Must be trying to improve the colour:)
    Currently waiting for Richersounds Belfast to get some 42pz80 in stock, due february. Probably going to get screwed on price as there is no John Lewis up there who seem to be doing them at £599:eek:. Been reading the thread here about them pricematching and getting sick. The 42px80 was £549 after xmas but no stock. Richersounds web price for the pz is now £749.95:thumbsdow

9. rewerb

rewerb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Ring up John Lewis, Glasgow. They are selling it at £699, free delivery anywhere and 5 yr warranty:smashin: