Panasonic 46GT30B Tweaks and Fixes - HELP - Firmware updates ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by ViRuS2k, Dec 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. ViRuS2k

ViRuS2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi guys been testing this tv out and i have some issues and conserns.

1: brightness flickering in THX mode *annoying the hell out of me*
    i was told there is a firmware fix out there to fix the issue, anyone know where i can get the latest GT30 Firmware fix ?
    2: 2D-3D conversion with 2D Bluray Disks, Brightness is VERY VERY well not bright its like DARK time lol is there a fix for that i know there is a dark tint to the glass`s but there must be a way to compensate for this flaw.
    3: Calibration for perfect quality in daytime and nighttime 2D and 3D, or do you have to calibrate 2 picture modes 1 for night and 1 for day ? going to be very annoying aswell.
    4: Picture seems WAY TO SMOOTH, when panning across the screen in moves
    its like a unnatural smoothness to it, not sure anyone will know what im talkin about but just in case if you do how do you fix it ? is it because of the 24fps mode as when i disable that to view the movie @60fps causes another wierd glitching image when panning.

Need some savy GT30 users in here to help me get the best out of this great TV.

One other thing i dont have my 3D bluray player yet so the only 3D i have tested so far is 2D-3D conversion, im guessing the 3D quality is far better when watching a real 3D movie as apposed to a converted 2D one as the pop effect was quite none existent even thought in some places on some movies the depth was much more apparent.

2. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    All of these issues, bar the brightness pops (look on the Panasonic website for a firmware update as users report that the issue has now been solved), can be solved with a proper calibration. You could make a start by checking out the AVForums review of the GT30, which is very comprehensive, and basically setting up your TV with the suggested settings. Then, using a set up disc like DVE or Spears and Munsil, you'd need to set brightness, contrast, colour and tint. If you do this the picture will improve no end. You can take it a step further by buying some software and a meter and using the set up discs to adjust the TV's greyscale and colour gamut. There is quite a learning curve in this though and the equipment will probably set you back the cost of a full professional calibration yet without the extreme accuracy of a pro-calibration. A pro-calibration will give you a day and a night setting for viewing in dark and ambient light conditions. The calibrator will also look at your whole video chain to make sure everything is set up properly. AVForums now has a Gold Calibrators scheme which will put you in contact with an AVForums endorsed calibrator in your area. If you fill in the enquiry form here, someone will get back to you shortly. I hope this helps. :)

3. slAVe

slAVe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yup your right if you purchase a full fledged 3D movie its normally filmed, captures, coloured, rendered etc specifically for the home 3D type stuff so will look vastly different. What you see when up-converting 2D to 3D is the same Flat image just brought to each eye from a different angle so you get bugger all depth. With proper 3D you do get 2 different viewing angles as they use 2 cameras to film. This gives you more of a subjects left hand side with your right eye & more of the right side of a subject with your left eye..... Good times!! :D

4. ViRuS2k

ViRuS2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you for the information and help you where right the intelligent frame creation was the issue that was causing the unnatural smoothness to my images.

I pretty much have the perfect 2D quality calibrated now.
    now i have to work on the 3D mode calibration when i get my 3d bluray player.

one final issue im seeing is when i go to watch the movie : THE DARK KNIGHT.
    right at the begining of the movie about 2 or so minutes in

IN the IMAX shot just before the guy fires the bolt through the window the building to the far top left of the screen is unnatural looking its like building windows and shaking or flickering.

does your TV have this issue ? or is it normal ? does not look normal thats for sure.... though i think thats the only place in the dark knight that the issue appears.
    if you have the movie can you test and let me know what the cause is if you get it and cant fix it then either way let me know cheers.

5. slAVe

slAVe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hello Again, Hope you've had a great Christmas.

I've spent most of my time supping on a Beer & eating too much! :rotfl:

Ok lets talk shop, I know the scene you are talking about & as it happens i do own this wonderful piece of cinematography, great Movie! :smashin:

So ive checked out the scene & i too found that the white building on the left was almost making a circular motion with its windows, bazaar, that's definitely not right :thumbsdow

so i tweaked a few settings & found that none of them worked so i put them back. I then went into the advanced settings & found that 24p Smooth Film was set to max ?!!? ***? :suicide:
    So that went to off & that solved the problem of the rotating building. As the BluRay is outputting 24p there is no need for the screen to any further processing. I always set up my screens so that they are almost of "Monitor" format i.e. they play the raw feed from their source & don't do any additional processing of the image, looks like i missed off this setting.

Have a Happy New Year.