Panasonic 46G15 - Purple Snakes?

TylersB

Standard Member
Hi,

I've just purchased a Panasonic 46G15 to replace my ageing 37PX60 and was slightly disappointed to find that the issue of purple snakes hasn't been completely eradicated.

The panel performance is certainly better than my PX60 - it's more an occasional purple haze than a defined snake - but should I be worried? My expectation was that issue would not be prevalent in the PDP panels, even though its only noticeable on dark SD content.

I purchased the TV from CostCo so can swap it any point over the next few weeks, but would interested to here from any other 46G15 owners suffering from the same issue.

Thanks in advance for any help / advice! :)

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Really?

I had the purple snakes on my old 42" PX60 and had the d-board replaced this time last year. It didnt completely 100% cure the problem (nothing can apparently) but it definitely got rid of the worst of it - to the point where you really had to go looking for it etc. Its down my mum and dads now and they love it (and still no return of the snakes). Every time Im down there I look for it and havent seen it for ages.

Ive had the G10 since last May - no sign of any snakes and believe me, I know exactly what they look like and when they turn up thanks to the above! I highly doubt the G15 would have snakes and the G10 wouldnt.

mksuperhoop

Hi,

I've just purchased a Panasonic 46G15 to replace my ageing 37PX60 and was slightly disappointed to find that the issue of purple snakes hasn't been completely eradicated.

The panel performance is certainly better than my PX60 - it's more an occasional purple haze than a defined snake - but should I be worried? My expectation was that issue would not be prevalent in the PDP panels, even though its only noticeable on dark SD content.

I purchased the TV from CostCo so can swap it any point over the next few weeks, but would interested to here from any other 46G15 owners suffering from the same issue.

Thanks in advance for any help / advice! :)
hi,
i also have 46G15 from costco.
purple snakes - how can you tell if you have them? can you actually see long curvy purple lines? whats the best channel / programme to see if you are getting them?

TEROKNOR

Oh this is great!!!
I have the 42PX60 and there are purple snakes galore on mine. The is not happy that's for sure.
Now the the new G10 and G15 have them as well? What's going on??
Surely if the guys here have just recently purcahsed them they can get a replacement as it is clearly a fault with the set???

TylersB

Standard Member
whats the best channel / programme to see if you are getting them?
I noticed them during the film "Pathology" in SD, mainly in the scenes in the basement corridor.

I'll try and upload some snaps when I get home tonight.

TEROKNOR - I wouldn't be overly concerned. Purple snake performance on my G15 is vastly superior to the PX60, however it isn't 100% snake free (IMHO).

mksuperhoop

I noticed them during the film "Pathology" in SD, mainly in the scenes in the basement corridor.

I'll try and upload some snaps when I get home tonight.

TEROKNOR - I wouldn't be overly concerned. Purple snake performance on my G15 is vastly superior to the PX60, however it isn't 100% snake free (IMHO).
are they really that obvious??
would i notice them if i had them??
i don't want to go looking for something i don't think i have........in case i find them :rolleyes:

hodg100

Distinguished Member
are they really that obvious??
would i notice them if i had them??
i don't want to go looking for something i don't think i have........in case i find them :rolleyes:
Rob - walk away from the thread and take heed of your own last sentence !:)

stormy

Oh this is great!!!
I have the 42PX60 and there are purple snakes galore on mine. The is not happy that's for sure.
Surely if the guys here have just recently purcahsed them they can get a replacement as it is clearly a fault with the set???
Well I am a big critic of the G10 as I see LOTS of flaws with mine, purple snakes is not one of them.

I don't even get Phosphor trails that bad. I was assured White Noise shows them rampantly and saw nothing. I do see it usually in games on the PS3 now and again but purple snakes, never seen those.

Out of curiosity what viewing conditions would promote them as I have scrutised my screen very very much indeed.

Flaws I see: Posterization, Line Bleeding (Shadows), Flickering and slight Phosphor. I am picky believe me. :)

sofasurfer

Had my V10 for about 6 months and I'm noticing few purple snakes. I'm getting more banding as well as the screen is used more.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom