Panasonic 43HX940 advice please

twohats

Standard Member
Hi there
I am after some advice on buying a 43 inch max
TV and came across this panny
There are little or no reviews I can find on the 43 inch version of the hx940 from John lewis @ £650
It states to have 100hz panel and 4 x hdmi 2.1
Just wondered if there were any users out there with any info
Whether to bite the bullet or wait for the new version
Coming from a 5 Yr old 39 inch panny used for Netflix sd TV and xbox x gaming
Thanks

mikej

This might be of interest - I would definitely consider looking at other makes, as well as Panasonic...

twohats

Standard Member
Yeah thanks Mike I have already seen that
My problem is there is too much choice and not enough real user reviews my head is spinning
Most with the opinion the smaller sized tvs are not worth it
The thing is 43 inch is the max I can have and there seems to be a lot more coming out in the next few months
Surely there is a TV out there with my name on it
Whether it is a panny or any other make

twohats

Standard Member
Gah tooo late I've pressed the big red button it's coming for the weekend
Can anyone post any set up advice please
Thanks in advance

vickster

Distinguished Member
Gah tooo late I've pressed the big red button it's coming for the weekend
Can anyone post any set up advice please
Thanks in advance
Switch it on and play with the settings to find what you like :)

mikej

There is no right or wrong answer here and settings do depend on personal preference but if you like a natural picture as I do, then I would start off with one of the Cinema picture modes (or a Pro mode if available), turn all the picture processing options off and see how you get on. Start with motion processing (Intelligent Frame Creation) off and if you struggle with motion, then increase it one step at a time until you find an acceptable balance between motion smoothness and any unwanted SOE that IFC introduces.

mikemag

Distinguished Member
I’ve had this set since last Summer, replacing a Panny plasma. I first went with a 40” Panny lcd that had terrible off axis viewing and then tried an LG which was slightly better but not by much.

After that I decided to bite the bullet and spend the extra money on the HX, best decision ever, it’s a great piece of kit IMHO. Picture quality is excellent, swapping between the tuners is a breeze compared with the LG and replacing the Freesat channels when they change frequencies equally so.

It’s in use on average five hours every day and has never put a foot wrong.

Enjoy.

twohats

Standard Member
Thx for the replies
Enjoying the TV up to now the only thing I've found annoying is the aspect ratio when watching films on amazon, Netflix and Disney
They're all letter boxed (black line top and bottom of screen) which I wasn't expecting
Is there no way of changing this? The change aspect ratio selection is not available when playing this content
Tbh it's rather off putting unless I'm missing something

mikej

Why weren't you expecting movies to be letterboxed on the new TV, out of interest ? The ratio of these films isn't 16:9, so you'll get black bars on any 16:9 TV.

Your post makes it sound like you want to zoom in on the picture so that the black bars disappear - is that right ?

Doing so will obviously reduce image quality and remove any 1:1 pixel-mapping for 4K content, not to mention the loss of a portion of the picture on each side.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom