Panasonic 42ST30B, to be or not not to be?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by dilbob99, Dec 26, 2011.

1. dilbob99

dilbob99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all

Scenario

Originally I was looking for a 37 inch tv for the bedroom, and chose the LG37 LK450U, cheap, full hd, perfect.

My lounge TV is a Panasonic plasma, not full HD. I run HD Virgin and play games.

Then I saw the Panasonic 42ST30b, and hey, convince the missus, swap this for the lounge TV, which would then serve as the bedroom TV. Bonus, full hd, smart tv and 3D!

Trawled the threads and did not realise how deep this would go.

I have many questions.

I42st30b price is 450 quid at Amazon which is great and the reviews re good from what I have read, but the glasses are expensive!

Ok what do I do

Go for the st30b and pay extra for the glasses?

Find a better deal that includes the glasses, if so are there any recommendations? (There are two of us and my little 2 year old who will not be doing 3d for a while)

What is best option, Passive or Active. Some peopleare sayg they dont get on th the active shutter glasses. I just want fuss free 3D so would passive be best? Plus visiting family could watch as well.

If passive is the way to go, what is the equivalent TV to the ST30b, bearing in mind I would prioritise features in this order.

Price should be about the same
    Full HD
    Good Gaming
    3D
    Smart TV

I realise these questions are not fully clear and just fired out there, but I am in a bit of a muddle.

2. muchus

muchus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

How close will you be sitting to the telly? I sit fairly close so had to rule out passive as I could see the filter lines.
    We just bought a 50" ST30 and loving it but i have to admit that the active glasses do strain your eyes a bit.
    Would certainly recommend trying out passive in the shops before deciding either way. Look at it fairly close then the sort of distance you'll be sitting at home. Then look from slightly above and below and from the sides. We did all this and ruled out passive due to the loss of quality when you get too close.

3. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Whats important, 2D or 3D? if 2D IMO there is no set to come close to the ST30 for that money. If 3D then many prefer passive, but there are positives to active and cost of glasses is coming down. I found the panasonic active sets gave me a head ache in the shops, at home I have no problem. Give both a try in a proper demo environment, its worth doing.

4. dilbob99

dilbob99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, will test it out, will be about 8 to 9 ft away from screen also

5. dilbob99

dilbob99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok not been in to see 3d yet but before I do Ian reading a lot on passive vs active and lots of articles saying companies are jumping the same way as lg onto passive sets and doing more of them.

What are people's opinion on whether passive and active will so forward together or one will dominate over the other like blu ray vs hdd (it was hdd wasn't it?)

I suppose it does not matter as they would both continue to work with the same signal I guess but just curious

6. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    There is no passive plasmas so both will be aviut for a while. For LCD Id go passive, plasma active.

7. dilbob99

dilbob99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Scooby any recommendations on an LCD 3d. If I'm going plasma then st30 hands down, but what about LCD I know there pricey in comparison but as close to in terms of budget to 600 as I can even 32 and 37 inch considered

8. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469

No LCD in this price range compares IMO.

9. bingoboy

bingoboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 42ST30 wasn't available at the Norwich RicherSounds yesterday for anybody that's interested. Salesman suggested spending extra for the GT30 instead but I ordered an ST30 from Amazon yesterday lunchtime and it arrived this morning. I'd rather have bought it from a local store but fingers crossed I won't have any problems.

Never had a Plasma before so currently savouring the excitement before daring to open the box!

10. mabbyb

mabbyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Picked up a 50st30 from Comet yesterday for £699 with 2 x glasses :). Ideally wouldn't have used Comet but had a credit on a faulty tv.

Running the screen in at the moment so I am not seeing the full glory of the lovely screen. It is replacing a le40c654 (which for an lcd had a fantastic picture) & the picture at the moment doesn't seem so sharp & vivid, but I am not concerned as the picture will only improve.

I am enjoying the really fluid motion on the st30 which was always a let down on the le40c654.

11. davidcrofter

davidcrofter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +945
    Probably take your eyes a couple of days to adjust to the plasma from the LCD ... plasma picture quality usually improves in that period - whether it is a trick of nature or the panel reaching its full potential nobody really knows.:D

12. mabbyb

mabbyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    My eyes are adjusting to the picture slowly & all I can say is WOW, an abslolutey stunning picture through a good HD source.

I did notice a couple of the dreaded green splodges whilst on the white & grey break in slides, but they do seem pretty feint & to be honest are not at all noticeable during normal viewing (wish I hadn't looked now).
    Are these likely to go as the plasma screen is running in ?

I think after my recent experiences with different tv's we are long way from seeing a perfect fault free tv;)

13. AMar82

AMar82
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been reading up on these green tints/splodges over the last few days, as I am probably going to buy the 50" ST30. From what I've read, there is still no guaranteed cure for the issue - some people have found it got better with time and disappeared at around 400 hours, some found a firmware upgrade fixed the problem and others are still seeing the problem and are yet to find a solution. Sounds like there have been some bad batches, as other people have said they haven't got any green tinting at all.

I would advise the dealer you purchased it from in advance that you may need a refund if it doesn't disappear (only if it bothers you, that is). From the sounds of it, it appears that it is hardly noticeable in many cases - it would only bother me if it was clear on the screen at all times and could be seen constantly whilst watching movies, etc.