Panasonic 42PZ85B - is it proper 24P?

GarethH

Standard Member
I was going to buy a Pioneer 42" Kuro and the main reason was the 24P playback and the black levels. However, with the release of the PZ85B, i'm starting to think the Pioneer is not worth it especially with a loss of screen resolution.

Can anyone tell me if the 24P on the new Panasonic PZ85B is proper 24P like the Pioneer?

NinjaMonkeyUK

They all have 24p input but they don't all have Intelligent Frame Creation, which is the setting that gives you the smooth image.

Even the PX range have 24p input - this doesn't mean they can display it at a multiple of 24Hz though.

Julie

They all have 24p input but they don't all have Intelligent Frame Creation, which is the setting that gives you the smooth image.

Even the PX range have 24p input - this doesn't mean they can display it at a multiple of 24Hz though.

All the PZ range do display at true 24 FPS from a 24P source such as blue ray. So the answer to the original question is a definite yes.

Intelligent frame creation is another thing altogether, it constructs & inserts extra frames to the picture that are not there in the source in an attempt to give a smoother appearance to fast moving objects. From what I can glean from actual owners of PZ85s on the forum is they prefer this feature turned off.

richard15088

Standard Member
All the new 2008 Panasonic plasma take 1080p/24 input and display it at 96hz (ie each frame 4 times).
The PZ85 also has IFC which optionally adds extra frames (in the same way that 100hz LCDs do). Most people (and me) turn this off so the PZ80 is probably the better deal (unless you get a bargain to good to refuse like me).
I guess IFC was done for LCDs and added as an extra feature even though with Plasma's it is not needed (no motion problems to overcome).

nbat58

So what is the difference between (quoting Panasonic manual):

PZ85
24P Real Cinema
24p Playback

PZ80
24P Playback

So the PZ80 has no "24p Real Cinema"

Does it still play 24p correctly?

S

shirks

pz85/81 is real 24p (96hz) (24p Real Cinema) and so is 800 but not PZ8/80 (24p playback)

nbat58

pz85/81 is real 24p (96hz) (24p Real Cinema) and so is 800 but not PZ8/80 (24p playback)

You mean PX8/80, I know the PX won't do proper pull down, I was more interested in comparing the PZ85 and PZ80.

Anyone any idea?

vipergrm

PZ85
24P Real Cinema
24p Playback

PZ80
24P Playback

Yes they all playback 24p correctly, as does the 2008 PX range. 'Real Cinema' is more of a marketing tool. It has no benefit over normal 24p native support as it creates additional frames which are not necessary. In fact, this is more likely worse as it may introduce unwanted artififacts into the picture. Nearly everyone who plays back 24p content on the PZ85 turns it off anyway (certainly on this forum). The other extra you get is IFC (Intelligent Frame Creation). Again, this appears to be a waste of times as it tries to create additional frames to smoothen out the image. If you watch football this is a dreadful features as you will notice the ball stuttering and losing resolution as it moves across the screen. I don't see how this is any kind of benefit.

If I'm right, the PZ85 has an optical out connection and suppsedly superior sound, but otherwise it is identical (same panel etc) other than the aesthetics and one HDMI port is located on the front.

So, to answer your original question, yes! ALL panasonic 2008 models fully support 24p playback. Don't be fooled by 'real cinema' :smashin:

vipergrm

the PX range is just playback not proper 24p

The PX80 range DOES fully support 24p playback as it also uses 4:4 pulldown.

Read the review below:

http://www.*/Panasonic-TH42PX80/

:smashin:

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
I think the 24p Real Cinema thing means proper 24p support with IFC on top while "Playback" just means handling 24p properly. It's been confirmed by a lot of people that all the 8 gen Pannies handle 1080p/24 properly.

However, I don't believe that any of them do proper inverse telecine on 60Hz DVDs to produce a multiple of 24.

PMF

PZ85
24P Real Cinema
24p Playback

PZ80
24P Playback

Intelligent Frame Creation works in two ways. When IFC is on it adds additional frames to the source to create "smoother moving images". When IFC detects a 24P source it utilises 24P Real Cinema operating in a different frame adding mode. Below I have inserted a link which will explain more fully. Select 24P Real Cimema from the picture and sound menu.

With IFC Off then as others have said it displays 24p sources using 4:4 pulldown with no additional trickery. So it displays 24P sources correctly.

http://panasonic.net/pavc/viera/features/europe.html

nbat58

Thanks guys much appreciated, lots of people were wondering the same thing, thanks for clearing things up.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom