panasonic 42px80 OR samsung ps42456

iad

Standard Member
Reaction score
Trying to choose which one to buy ....

The Samsung has a higher contrast ratio but apart from that i'm not too sure of the major differences between the two ....

I've got around 600 to spend and the Panasonic is 629 and the Samsung is 599
so price is similar too ...

I prefer the look of the samsung but thats not really a deciding factor , can anyone help with explaining which one to choose ?

thanks

Since Panasonic finds more fans than Samsung in AVForums, you will get more headsup for Panasonic. PX80 is lauded for the best value for money at its price range.

Panasonic is definitely Mr. Reliable compared to Samsung or LG. Not only is it reliable, its more bug-free and carries a lot of fan-crowd after it.

Samsung PS42Q97HDX is the new alternative to the panasonic th42px80 ....... any thoughts ???

Go for the panasonic over the samsung, easy choice.

Better picture, and has less problems than samsung sets.

Samsung PS42Q97HDX is the new alternative to the panasonic th42px80 ....... any thoughts ???

Yes, that's the old alternative, i.e. last years model.

yeah Just realised the samsung is Last years model , but its got top reviews . and at 599.00 thats a good price.

yeah Just realised the samsung is Last years model , but its got top reviews . and at 599.00 thats a good price.

You can get the PX80 for how much more in the UK? About £30?
No competition mate.
;)

Most reviews are pretty useless to be quite honest, HDTVtest is the only one really take head of.

User reviews and reliabablity chat on forums is much more useful :thumbsup:

ok so will be Looking forward to picking my new panasonic up this week !!!!

however ........... went into curry's today and saw the px80 and it Looks fine to me (store's never callibrate the sets properly , so it Looked a bit washed out next to Lcd) but they also had the z80 next to it too .... that's going for about 730 i think . SO... my final decision is the entry level px or the mid range pz ...... about 130 pounds diff ' ....

thanks for the help again ... !!

SO... my final decision is the entry level px or the mid range pz ...... about 130 pounds diff ' ....

Depends on what you will be watching mostly and from what distance.

ok so will be Looking forward to picking my new panasonic up this week !!!!

however ........... went into curry's today and saw the px80 and it Looks fine to me (store's never callibrate the sets properly , so it Looked a bit washed out next to Lcd) but they also had the z80 next to it too .... that's going for about 730 i think . SO... my final decision is the entry level px or the mid range pz ...... about 130 pounds diff ' ....

thanks for the help again ... !!

Yes it would look a bit duller due to the LCDs being setup in 'BURN out your retinas and eat them for dinner with high on acid and mushrooms colours' :D

Don't worry the set will look great once at home and setup properly with your equipment.

I would only recommend the PZ80 for the extra £130 if you sit about 6-7 ft away (max) and you think that the PZ will have picture quality. 1080p isn't worth worrying about to be honest as the actual picture quality isn't affect that much by it, and you might not be able to tell the difference. But the normal SD picture of the PX80 is better, for your skymfreeview etc.

:thumbsup:

cheers guys....

went into comet today and saw them side by side (px & pz) nothing major , so went ahead and got the px80 with black glass stand and 5 years warranty for 660.00 ......

then i got refused by credit rating ..... so will have to speak to family members to put their name on the papers !!

however ... my father thinks i'm better off waiting till Christmas or January sales as it's bound to drop by 100-150 pounds .... i'm not too sure of that plus i want it now !!! :)

however ... my father thinks i'm better off waiting till Christmas or January sales as it's bound to drop by 100-150 pounds .... i'm not too sure of that plus i want it now !!! :)

Hmm..PX80, good choice :thumbsup:.....

....well if you wait that long, there might be a possibility that we hear some news of some better and newer models. tbh i dont really know if its good or not. I have waited since the release of W2000, till W4000 and then decided to jump aboard the plasma wagon. One cannot say what happens with wait, maybe something turns out better or then just worse.

Parents always advise us to wait incase something better comes long. If we did this, the we would still havea 14inch portable tv :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Enjoy teh set when you get it, and check out the owners thread for some rough settings to get you started.

Hmm..PX80, good choice :thumbsup:.....

....well if you wait that long, there might be a possibility that we hear some news of some better and newer models. tbh i dont really know if its good or not. I have waited since the release of W2000, till W4000 and then decided to jump aboard the plasma wagon. One cannot say what happens with wait, maybe something turns out better or then just worse.

I did that exact route too, snap:) Now I am back looking for a 32" LCD as a second TV

Try the LG 32PG6000, only 32" plasma available at the moment.

I would stay away from PG6000 by a lifetime. I hate IRs :D

matr69: join the club, i am also looking for an LCD for my bedroom. I am considering a 40V4000 or a 32V4500 :). I dont care much about the bedroom as viewing will be really limited, and my quality time will be in my living room with my 42PX80 :clap:

Try the LG 32PG6000, only 32" plasma available at the moment.

I don't want a plasma, I want it for my young uns who game a lot and I want to let them just go for it without concern for too many static images and LGs can suffer badly from IR from what I read.

Just hard to find a decent screen not too expensive which can also display 24fps without judder.

Last edited:
I would stay away from PG6000 by a lifetime. I hate IRs :D

matr69: join the club, i am also looking for an LCD for my bedroom. I am considering a 40V4000 or a 32V4500 :). I dont care much about the bedroom as viewing will be really limited, and my quality time will be in my living room with my 42PX80 :clap:

Yes the 42V4500 is an option but it isn't released yet I believe, any idea how much it will cost?

GOT THE PX80 TODAY !!!!!!

Just picked it up between shifts at work , got home now and am about to set it up with the 360 :)

Its true when you get it home it looks amazing !!

Thanks guys for all the advise !

Yes the 42V4500 is an option but it isn't released yet I believe, any idea how much it will cost?

There is no information of any 40V4500 at all. Currently its available only 26", 32" and 37".

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom