• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic 42px80 or 42pz80 ?

packmanuk

Established Member
I've narrowed my search down to 2. I've been quoted £679 and £799 both with a 5 year guarentee from my local panasonic store.

I sit about 3 meters from the screen have skyhd and have a bluray player.

Apart from the 1080p (PZ) compared to 720p (PX) are there any other differences in these sets ?

Which set do people think I should go for and is this a good price with 5yr ?

I'm actually thinking of getting the set today so any quick advice would be great.

IHG

Standard Member
There are more than a few threads on this exact topic mate, including the one directly below this one. Take yer pick...
:)

covdude

Banned
Hi

The benefits of HD are truely shown at 1080p at about 8ft viewing for a 42.

I would push the boat out to the 1080p and sit 8ft away when watching HD.

Yours,

Steve

audiphile76

Prominent Member
PACKMANUK: If your viewing distance is 3 meters and if you watch more than 50% of the time SD broadcast, then you should go for a 42PX80. There is absolutely no way you can make a difference between 42PZ80 and 42PX80 from 3 meters with both showing 1080p program and say that HD is better on 42PZ80.

42PX80 not only is good with SD, HD is also great and there are also a lot of gamers having this panasonic. So save your money and get a 42PX80 or, make your viewing distance around 7 feet and get a 42PZ80 if you game and watch HD more than SD broadcast. At 7 feet SD broadcast can not be that great.

I have a 42PX80, have had it for more than 6 months with a viewing distance of 10 feet. Even at 8 feet, SD broadcast is watchable.

curveball

Established Member
PACKMANUK: If your viewing distance is 3 meters and if you watch more than 50% of the time SD broadcast, then you should go for a 42PX80. There is absolutely no way you can make a difference between 42PZ80 and 42PX80 from 3 meters with both showing 1080p program and say that HD is better on 42PZ80.

42PX80 not only is good with SD, HD is also great and there are also a lot of gamers having this panasonic. So save your money and get a 42PX80 or, make your viewing distance around 7 feet and get a 42PZ80 if you game and watch HD more than SD broadcast. At 7 feet SD broadcast can not be that great.

I have a 42PX80, have had it for more than 6 months with a viewing distance of 10 feet. Even at 8 feet, SD broadcast is watchable.

OR

Get the 42PZ80B full HD and when watching HD sit 7 feet away.

When watching SD push your Sofa back a couple of feet!

See its simple really! :D

matr69

Established Member
OR

Get the 42PZ80B full HD and when watching HD sit 7 feet away.

When watching SD push your Sofa back a couple of feet!

See its simple really! :D

only in a room where you can push your sofa around, can't see many people being arsed to do that every time they change though.

audiphile76

Prominent Member
only in a room where you can push your sofa around, can't see many people being arsed to do that every time they change though.

..and what if one switches regularly between SD and HD. U dont expect them to push and pull the sofa all the time

curveball

Established Member
..and what if one switches regularly between SD and HD. U dont expect them to push and pull the sofa all the time

Guys it was a joke!!!!!

However if you have the space to push a sofa back a couple of feet it doesn't exactly take hours out of your day does it? :D

audiphile76

Prominent Member
Guys it was a joke!!!!!

However if you have the space to push a sofa back a couple of feet it doesn't exactly take hours out of your day does it? :D

Joke well accepted :rotfl:. I know what the issue here is....finding the optimum viewing distance for SD and HD without sacrificing on any quality. It will be different for different people depending on their knack and skilled eyes on catching flaws. One cannot keep moving their couch for different programs indeed!

packmanuk

Established Member
Thanks for your help guys. I opted for the pz because of the 1080p. I know it doesn't matter at the moment but it could in the next 5 years which is how long I expect to keep the tv.

Panasonic wouldn't match the 749 at JL but did come down £25 from £799 so I paid £774 with full 5 years Panasonic guarentee.

Just got to set it up now. Is there a link anywhere to the best settings ?

audiphile76

Prominent Member
Thanks for your help guys. I opted for the pz
Is there a link anywhere to the best settings ?

Try these settings. They might look a bit soft, but they are the closest to D65 standards.
http://www.*/Panasonic-TH42PX80/Settings

curveball

Established Member
Thanks for your help guys. I opted for the pz because of the 1080p. I know it doesn't matter at the moment but it could in the next 5 years which is how long I expect to keep the tv.

Panasonic wouldn't match the 749 at JL but did come down £25 from £799 so I paid £774 with full 5 years Panasonic guarentee.

Just got to set it up now. Is there a link anywhere to the best settings ?

Good choice mate.

I have taken delivery of this TV today and first impressions are that I am blown away, even with SD.

I am still getting used to the picture. My last telly was a Panny LCD and I have to say that I find that the plasma picture is "softer" and more "natural". So still getting used to it. Next week I get sky HD so will report back then. I have the TV on "running in settings" (ie not dynamic) but expect the picture to improve with HD and time.

Cheers.

curveball

Established Member
is the tv noisy have been told you get alot of fan noise

Cannot hear them to be honest. Although as I don't watch the telly without any sound (I have sound through my HI-Fi speakers) I doubt I would know if they were noisy!!!!!

Has anyone on here actually reported being able to hear the fans above the sound of the telly? Do you have surround sound? Do you really think you would be able to hear the fans above that?

curveball

Established Member

Many people are happy with the product and a couple of people reported fan noise.

This is a classic overreaction: lots of positive feedback on a particular product then a couple of people report a "fault" and then all of a sudden its a bad machine? Maybe they were just unlucky?

I don't think I have ever read a thread on a product where someone does not find a "fault" in some way - regardless of what brand.

If you buy a product and you are not satisfied then you ask for it to be replaced.

nikz06

Established Member
I've got the 46PZ80, sit about 2.5metres and it's fab! SD on the high bitrate channels look fab and I am more than impressed with the quality of footie on Sky Sports.

HD is just fantastic. PS3 gaming is awesome WipeOut HD just looks mind blowing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom