Panasonic 42PX70 new setting ?

yetanotherbob

Now I must admit that after I set my PX70 up to my liking I have just left it, I have just popped into the picture menu and find that I now have a new setting

3D-comb

Now either I have been hit by early alzheimers or this has been added by the most recent update

So it would seem that the updates aren't just Freeview tuner related :eek:

Bob

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
It's for your 3D Hair... i wouldn't worry about it.

GAS28

wikipedia said:
pplications

Comb filters are used in a variety of signal processing applications. These include:
Cascaded Integrator-Comb (CIC) filters, commonly used for anti-aliasing during interpolation and decimation operations that change the sample rate of a discrete-time system.
2D and 3D comb filters implemented in hardware (and occasionally software) for NTSC television decoders. The filters work to reduce artifacts such as dot crawl.
Audio effects, including echo, flanging, and digital waveguide synthesis. For instance, if the delay is set to a few milliseconds, a comb filter can be used to model the effect of acoustic standing waves in a cylindrical cavity or in a vibrating string.

Hmmm. Does this mean picture noise? I am confused. Can someone explain please.

yetanotherbob

Not enough hair here to be 3d :rotfl:

Bob

mseabroo

Now I must admit that after I set my PX70 up to my liking I have just left it, I have just popped into the picture menu and find that I now have a new setting

3D-comb

Now either I have been hit by early alzheimers or this has been added by the most recent update

So it would seem that the updates aren't just Freeview tuner related :eek:

Bob

I though this was always in the menu but only visible for the analogue channels. must check mine later to double check.

Anyway Comb filters are used to get the most out of the resolution of DVDs and other digital sources. They help to correct detail and color loss that occurs when your TV renders the signal onto the screen by layering several versions of the image on top of one another. For a thorough explanation of comb filters, check out TV Comb Filters. The important thing to know about comb filters is that they come in three types:
Filter Rating
Two-line comb filter Good
Three-line comb filter Better
3D YC comb filter Best

Without a comb filter, you will only be seeing about 50 percent of a DVD's total picture quality. The thing to bear in mind is that your DVD player will only benefit from the comb filter if you hook it up to the TV using the composite video or RF connections. If your TV and DVD player support a higher quality connection type like component video or S-video, then a comb filter is unnecessary. It will still help, though, if you've used RF or composite jacks to hook up your digital cable box.

yetanotherbob

LOL, sorry folks panic over. I had been fiddling about with the av outputs on a toppy so it may indeed have always been there :oops:

Bob

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom