Panasonic 42PX70, Inky Blacks hmm..

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by JUICE690, Jan 18, 2008.

1. JUICE690

JUICE690

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Well they certainly aren't inky black on my screen, closer to a 85-90% Black, nowhere near the solid black of the screens bezel which does a good job of showing up this deficiency.

Was i expecting to much? I was under the impression that the blacks were always supposed really solid 'inky' as stated on HDTVTest but mine just doesn't look that black I feel slightly disapointed to be honest.

My settings contrast/brightness are both set around 30% on cinema mode, and on a warm setting.

What do other owners think?

2. qwerty1234

qwerty1234
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    it depends on your lighting conditions, the pioneers give much blacker blacks but even these aren't perfect. the panasonics will wipe the floor with most other sets but only you can decide.

3. JUICE690

JUICE690

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I am really happy with the set don't get me wrong I think after reading reviews of Plasmas I just assumed the blacks were pretty much 100%

I don't see how anyone could be happy with anything inferior to these levels, blimey am I glad I didn't go for an LCD now :rotfl:

4. gromero

gromero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    not much point watching any tv with lots of black anyway is there? pretty dull viewing!
    hehe sorry i know that isn't the point.

just out of interest, how good were the old crt tv's at displaying blacks? i still have a 32" sony crt in my bedroom which i have had for nearly 10 years, i have always liked the picture i get on that screen.
    having said that, i wouldn't get a sony screen now! my brother has one - ps3 looks good, sky tv looks :thumbsdow

5. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Same here juice! the blacks look great during the day and on bright lit scenes, but black is the new grey when the room is dark :rolleyes:

But saying that the tv is good and think i also expected too much for the money paid!

I have a sony crt in the bedroom and the blacks are better on that so think a kuro is gonna be my next purcase.

I suggest you enjoy it and wait until everyone copies pioneers kuro which wont be too long.