Panasonic 42PX60 vs 42PX70

Naim.F.C

Established Member
Reaction score
So how big a difference is there between the screens in terms of actual PQ?
I have a snake/green frizzle free PX60 that I've been using for 2 months now.
Couldn't be happier with the screen. Beautiful picture, and burnt in and all.

Have a PS3 and 360 hooked up to her. And I do watch Blu-ray's on her too. Currently at 1080i, and they look absolutely crystal.

So now I see that there's a new PX70 out. Looks much better externally (lush black) but the main question is, how do the internals compare? What's this 1080 processing that's not actually 1080p? Will I even notice a difference between the PX60's 1080i and PX70's 1080p processing? Also, does it actually have a 1080p setting or is 1080p processing just 1080i with some internal processing that makes it look closer to 1080p?

I could potentially sell my PX60 and pay £100 + more to get the new screen.
Question is, is it worth the time an effort? PQ is really the only thing I care about.

Naim, if you are happy with your PX60 and have not been plagued by purple snakes or fan noise, by all means stay with it (her)! :D Reviews and posters on this forum say there is only minor difference in PQ between the PX60 and the PX70. Maybe none. Or maybe the freeview tuner in the PX60 is slightly *better* . . . Menus are sleeker on the PX70 but not any better functionally, apparently, and there's no headphone jack. :mad:

My advice is don't complicate your life if your current picture is pleasing you.

But I would appreciate knowing how you would sell your used TV and get so close to the retail price of a new model. :rotfl:

CHFels

Naim, if you are happy with your PX60 and have not been plagued by purple snakes or fan noise, by all means stay with it (her)! :D Reviews and posters on this forum say there is only minor difference in PQ between the PX60 and the PX70. Maybe none. Or maybe the freeview tuner in the PX60 is slightly *better* . . . Menus are sleeker on the PX70 but not any better functionally, apparently, and there's no headphone jack. :mad:

My advice is don't complicate your life if your current picture is pleasing you.

But I would appreciate knowing how you would sell your used TV and get so close to the retail price of a new model. :rotfl:

CHFels

Sounds reasonable! Thanks for your post!

I was wondering this too as I am just about to get Jown Lewis to replace my purple snake PX60 with a new one and they have said that if it is not better they will refund me.

One thing I do notice on the PX60 is that it suffers terribly from reflections as it faces a window.

Anyone know if the PX70 is better in this respect as I think this would be the only reason for me to change models?

I was wondering this too as I am just about to get Jown Lewis to replace my purple snake PX60 with a new one and they have said that if it is not better they will refund me.

One thing I do notice on the PX60 is that it suffers terribly from reflections as it faces a window.

Anyone know if the PX70 is better in this respect as I think this would be the only reason for me to change models?

Just the same for reflections.

By the way, am I the only one to prefer the 60 for appearance.
The 70 looks like an LG or Samsung, cheap glossy plastic.

px60 looks cheap and nasty in silver..............IMO :thumbsdow

By the way, am I the only one to prefer the 60 for appearance.
The 70 looks like an LG or Samsung, cheap glossy plastic.

I also prefer the appearance of the 60 to the 70.

The shiny black plastic on the 70 looks to me like a dust magnet.

Another difference is that the PX70 has no fans!

My nearly one year old PX60 has three fans and they are getting noisier and noisier - I can hear them clearly 10 feet away whenever the sound dips.

Do not let anyone tell you fans can be quiet - they might be at first but they do become instrusive in time - no matter how well designed they are.

Despite my loathing for Panasonic UK - I have to give credit for Panasonics design team to have finally got rid of fans - even on the 50" models.

Gussie :)

I wonder if we can guess who owns what?:)

OK I know I've got the 60 but if I thought it a real benefit then I would switch to the 70.

Then of course the black shiny look would be sooo much better. :)

Another difference is that the PX70 has no fans!

We use little plastic fans (Sunon) in some of our products and when I visited the fan factory in China I was amazed to see that every single fan is balanced like a car wheel.

I'm into actually ruining my guarantee by spraying black (matt) my 42PX60 with a furniture/plastic paint. I don't really mind for my speakers getting "blocked" or something since I use only the audio output but indeed I'm kind of worried about the visual result.:rolleyes:
Would you do that yourselfs if you were totally sick of the silver colour?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom