Panasonic 42PWD8 out of the box settings and then what ??

Reaction score
Hi all
My Panny 42pwd8 has been ordered today,
so have a zillion question!!
Have used the search button on here ...honest
It seems the obvious questions have been asked but most of the time they relate to the PW7
"So are the pw7 settings exactly the same as for the pw8?
if not then .....
i guess the 50% contrast..50% brightness to run it in
will apply ?

so ,what would be the appropriate settings for the" 200 "hrs run in period
And what of the features of the pw8
Are there certains options that must be used from the start, eg anti burn..etc
So any pw8 owners please give me a start up guide
and then the settings you use after the bedding in period
sure it will be useful as a rough guide :confused:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

*8 / 10... update
Had the pd8 4 days,
after a couple of days, at switching on there is a section of picture missing.
approx a 1.5 inch wide vertical solid black strip from the left hand side only
I switched it off/on usually works ,or it just reverts back to normal whilst still on
Is this just a running in glitch ?....or not
any ideas ..??
cheers

Treat all the advice for picture settings on the PWD7 as appropriate for the PWD8. Change from dynamic mode to normal or cinema. Reduce contrast to under 50% then adjust brightness to get a good picture. Then watch and enjoy.

After 100 hours get a copy of Digital Video Essentials and calibrate the set using that or get the job done properly by one of us ISF techs!

Thanks Piers
So after 100 hrs you can turn up the contrast/ settings rather than the 200hrs which is often quoted here
cheers

My mates PW8 needed to be in Cinema mode and around -20 on the contrast, that was monday lunch, by the time I went back round on Monday night at about 9pm we knocked the contrast up to -10, it was still very bright. I got my PHD8 on Monday too and I have gone from -15 to 0 tonight, but I have a scaler and that is -1 after running Avia so it isn't quite the same, but you get the idea.

Set the brightness so black bars on a film look solid with no noise in them, probably around 0 or -1 or -2 on the PW8.

With the Panasonics and Fujitsus ONLY (of those that I have worked on) I would have no worries about calibrating to ISF levels after 100 hours rather than 200. I calibrated my own PHD8 at zero hours then deliberately tried to induce image retention (the fore-runner of screen burn), not a trace after 4 hours of a static image. From other postings on this forum I don't recommend doing this with the PV500s.

If you burn your screen don't blame me but like many plasma owners I was way, way over cautious with my last two. Image retention is the thing to look for, it comes well before screen burn. No image retention - no problem.

gizlaroc
thanks have put the contrast down to -10
it seems okay ,but only using the svideo input atm
Piers
i think after reading all the info here ,
it does tend to make people just a "little"cautious
thanks again

Of course you are going to be cautious, If you have just spent £2-3k no one wants to come home and see it knackered, I don't think there are many people who can afford to say, oh well I will just order another one tomorrow! :)

No idea?

What you running into it?

Have my dvd freeview etc going to my denon 3803
then switched through component cable into a pw8 bnc board
pic quality is good
gizalaroc so this particular prob or anything similar has not cropped up ?
cheers

Sounds like a bit of a problem, does it do it only on freeview?

I switched from freeview to dvd, and the problem was still showing?
Atm.
i have a quality component cable from 3803 to pw8
and a budget lead linking the dvd into the amp, (which i intend to replace)
cant imagine that is the cause ?
as the problem is random!!
cheers

First of all switch the slot the inout board is on and see what happens, actually just make sure that the board is seated properly before you go any further. Then try the dvd player direct, ie. not through the amp. You want to try and rule evey possibilty out, however it may be the input board?

Piers said:
With the Panasonics and Fujitsus ONLY (of those that I have worked on) I would have no worries about calibrating to ISF levels after 100 hours rather than 200. I calibrated my own PHD8 at zero hours then deliberately tried to induce image retention (the fore-runner of screen burn), not a trace after 4 hours of a static image. From other postings on this forum I don't recommend doing this with the PV500s.

hello Piers
agreed and same here

after 50 h I began to configure the 42-PHD 8 for 1:1 pixelmapping@50 Hz with various tools
beginning with nokia testpatterns, DVE and Peter Finzels monitor Test CD (very good with 50(100 Hz) test tickers).
so many static images with sharp vertikal and horizontal lines were displayed for quite a long time.

no image retention at all.

timings at the moment are not 100% accurate , with bloomberg tickertapes there is
one framedrop and tiny hickup every 2 minutes or so . image quality not only with the 3 hdtv stations but with sd as well is quite amazing with a dvb/s card over vga ( pixel adaptive deinterlacing by the nVidia pure videodecoder).

best
mine

Mine did you try what I suggested to you regarding upping the framterate .01 step at a time, I am running at 50.16 with the Crystalio.

gizlaroc said:
Mine did you try what I suggested to you regarding upping the framterate .01 step at a time, I am running at 50.16 with the Crystalio.

Hi Giz

after fiddling around the whole day i got it !

Perfect 1:1 pixelmapping , 50,000 (exactly 3digits) no judder, perfect pans,perfect smooth tickertapes with Bloomberg and ntv.

I always used Coordinated Video Timings (CVT) March 2003 as the newest VESA standard for generating display timings and this was the culprit.

in my config @50,04 - 50,20 there was a dropped frame every 1 or 2 minutes and the
associated microjudder....

with

Generalized Timing Formula (GTF) industry standard timings

the magic happened @50,000 perfect sync

you have only access to these different timings in the advanced nVidia control panel
and only if the graphiccard supports an external TMDS device, such as the SI 164/1162,
even if you use vga.

So , now its time to enjoy some hdtv stations

TVHD (canal+) has phantastic HDTV demos up to 19 MBit -you can find it on Astra 19 E (12581 freq)
a lot better than euro 1080.

*** think I can second the meaning of some avs members you can only beat this system with a terranex :) :devil: :

happy
mine

now DVI we are coming ......

Interesting.

Glad you got it up and running.

gizlaroc said:
Interesting.

Glad you got it up and running.
Thanks
Giz

it was a lot easier than tweaking my first 30 " TFT two years ago with powerstrip
this was a reboot orgy of a complete weekend

seems the new highend nVidia cards have a pretty exact clock - never got this
with ati , though for HTPC use I was an ATI aficionado for years .
they (ati) used to have a pretty good RAMDAC , so the signal quality of analog out was always a little bit better than nVidia,
this has changed dramatically with the new nV generation.
access to all timing formulas , presets for 576p -1080i in all kind of variations and the possibility of custom resolutions.
pretty good.
what is interesting as well -the nVidia -PHD 8 combo goes linear up to 6 MHz
and falls down rapidly after
may be this is one of the reasons of the almost noise free picture quality of the pHD 8 and the phantastic SD performance
my 37" over dvi is linear up to 6,75 MHz , but can`t touch the PHD 8 in overall
PQ. Just an idea...

regards
m

update on pic problem !!
now have a good quality component cables,
for dvd to amp and amp to Pw8
put the bnc board in a different slot
firmly seated
turned on then after 8 min. same prob , different colours!!
within the 1.5 inch section , 2 pink vertical stripes with narrower vertical lines in between !!
Then back to white
Just changed it so that the dvd runs straight to the pw8 ,
And its okay for the last 15 min
But as the problem has no time pattern to it . will have to wait and see
I dont think its the amp , as i have used it with my pj without problems
so anybody got an idea ?? or had the same prob
thanks for looking

just to update
returned the screen to nexnix
They confirmed the problem, replacement came yesterday
Perfect pic upto now

Mods you can close this