1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 42PWD6/7 or Hitachi 42PD5200 ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by captaindobie, Mar 18, 2005.

1. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well, haven't quite decided if i can really afford a major purchase such as this at the moment, but im depressed and need cheering up!

(Actually, the real answer is NO but that's never stopped me before!)

I have narrowed things down to either of the above.

Given the choice what would you choose?

I have no real interest in HD at the moment (perhaps in the future of course) and have seen the Hitachi in action (i was suitably impressed both via component and RGB scart)

The last Panasonic i saw was a series 5. Again, this did look very good to me.
    (S-video connection at the time)

Can i safely assume that Panasonic have upped the ante with the series 6 & 7 panels?

Shoot & Show are doing a PWD6 offer for around £1470 (with selected video card, i would need to pay a little extra for the stand) and i can pick up the Hitachi for around £1900 from Discount Electrical. (The Hitachi already comes supplied with various inputs plus the stand & speakers)

Your opinion/feedback would be welcome. In addition, if you have seen any better offers out there (or even an alternative model that i should consider)
    i would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance...:smashin:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    #pw7 can be had for £1300 ish.......... so worth thinking off, sugesst you go and have some more demos, Hitachi 7200 will be out soon.

3. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I am pretty much dead-set on getting the 5200 - good reviews and the set looks gorgeous in the flesh...is the price likely to change much when the 7200 is released (supposedly next month)?

4. limbk

limbk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you need some retail therapy huh? I certainly have sympathy with that. I hope it does the trick and cheers you up.

Regarding better prices on the 42PWD6, Richer Sounds are doing it for £1,099.95. You'd need to get a terminal board though, but even with that added on it is still cheaper than the price you got and with the 6 series you do have the option of feeding it composite via the VGA port (i.e. no terminal board needed if you have stuff that can feed it composite) or you could get the JS Tech Scart -> VGA converter for about £120.

- Julian

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    COMPONENT NOT composite, COMPONENT can be used with the PW6 PWD6 built in HD15 terminal in addtion to RGBHV

7. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops. Thanks, I meant component of course. I'm glad someone's brain is in gear today. :blush:

- Julian