1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 42PWD5 or 42PWD5 ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rags, Apr 27, 2003.

1. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    I am totally confused with which plasma to buy. Most people I have spoken with have recommended that I go with a Panasonic plasma.

I need a 42" and there are two models available the PWD and the PHD. The PHD is about £700 dearer. What are the practical differences between the two and is it worth spending the extra money ?

I also considered was the Pioneer MXE. Is this any better than the other two (apart from the extra inch) ?

Thanks

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    PHD = 1024 x 768 pixels
    PWD = 852 x 480 pixels

3. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    if thats the only diff is it worth the extra money. I mean will I see a significant diff in picture quality / detail on the PHD when watching Sky or playing dvd's ?

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I haven't seen a HD version running.

I'd imagine with the higher resolution it would offer a more detailed picture. The resolution is certainly more in line with PC output if you were considering hooking up your PC to the Plasma.

Sorry I can't help more.

Any PHD owners out there ?

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    For home cinema/TV you'd be wasting your money, and the PHD will distort the PC picture as the pixels are rectangular, or else the screen will 'scale' the picture to 4:3, resulting in less sharpness. My advice is don't go there, likewise the MXE if you want to use a PC, though it's superb as a TV/HC screen. Better than the PW5? That's a frequently debated issue. It's a lot more money than you can get a black panny for.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,569
    rags

The two Panasonic models use pretty much the same architecture so connectivity between the PWD and the PHD is exactly the same. In addition to the higher pixel count on the PHD the main differences to bear in mind are:

Single Scan vs. Dual Scan - Panasonic introduced a new Single Scan technology on the Series 5 PWD models that some people dont like because it introduces a level of picture 'flicker' that some customers are susceptible to. The PHD model is Dual Scan so suffers no flicker.

Convection vs. Fans - the PHD model has two fans so if you are sitting close to it or are susceptible to fan noise this may be an issue - the PWD is convection so no fan noise but they can be a touchy 'buzzy' on bright images.

If your looking at a higher resolution panel (a good idea I feel) I tend to favour the Pioneer MXE as it has better connectivity, no fan noise (it has fans that are temperature controlled and in normal viewing will not switch on) and the video card slot will accept a range of input cards so you can have an upgrade path for your display if you wish.

Best regards

Joe

7. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Thanks for the advice. I am going to demo the PW5 and the MXE before I buy.

I can get the PW5 for around £3100 and the MXE for £3450 (I think both are in silver). Will decide if the PQ on the Pioneer is worth the extra £350 after taking into account the Pioneers upgradability.