Panasonic 42PW5 BNC Terminal Board

I

ianellison

Can RGBVdHd on Component side be used AND S-Vid on AV input side by switching between sources?

Can S-Vid AND Composite on AV inputs be used by switching sources on AV Amp?

ianellison - You can switch sources between Component and S-VHS/AV on the Plasma but plugging S-Vid in disables the AV input.

On your second point; if you mean switching S-Vid/Composite sources on an AV Amplifier, it depends if the amp has any conversion between the 2 and normally, they do not.

Maplins sell a S-Vid/Composite both way converter for £5 but you loose quality either way.

Hope this answers your questions

Sort of planning a similar thing myself but no idea if it is possible

My amp can switch YUV, s-video, and composite but there are no internal links between them (denon AVR3800)

Was planning to connect each of these to the amp

SKY+ to component via RS box
DVD direct to component

s-video for the DV camcorder
component for the VCR

then connect all 3 types output from the amp to the panny RCA terminal board

I have no idea if this will work and am waiting for delivery of the panny (like lot others I suspect) to read the instructions.

Would this work at all?

I am assuming that there would, for example, be no signal output from the amp on the s-video line if the DVD source was selected as the S-video input to the amp for the DVD would not be connected

Will the panny automatically select the input with an active signal or would I have to still select it manually?

Surely that's composite for a VCR? in which case not. You will need one of those Maplin dongles to connect your VCR with s-video, and use the amp's switching. I think you'll have to manually switch on the screen between component and s-vid.

Alternatively, you could spend some more money and get a s-vhs recorder. This outputs proper s-video, via scart or mini din according to model. Even from old VHS tape! Obviously there's a garbage in, garbage out thingy here, don't expect a VHS tape to look any better than it does via composite. Tapes you record will of course be better.

You could s-video the sky+ and spend the same money as a component converter to clean up your VHS and solve a connectivity problem into the bargain.

Being the proud new owner of a 42" Panasonic and having struggled with the connectivity, here's what I found:

On the plasma you can switch between three inputs - PC (15 pin D-sub), Component or AV. AV can either be composite OR s-video not both.

I have my DVD connected direct to the component, with everything else connected via my AV amp to the composite AV (Using scart to video and l/r audio cables). In time I hope to get a SCART to D-sub cable to connect up the Sky box using this method to get a slight improvement in quality over the composite method, but honestly whilst you notice the difference in quality with the DVD (having tried both component and composite methods), the difference for Sky/VCR etc is very slight.

I tried connecting the s-video at the same time as the composite but found that the screen always defaulted to s-video even when no signal was present so I don't think your plan will work (unless I did something wrong when connecting up).

The advantage of this method is that you can use the AV amp as a switch hub (only one button to press to get sound and video), and only need to change the plasma input mode when watching DVD.

Hope this helps.

BTW I originally had the tuner box and card but sent it back - the picture degradation was terrible, so the £450+ has gone on cables instead!

Current stack:
Technomate Digital Satbox
Pace Skybox
Panasonic VCR
Pioneer DV-747 DVD
Yamaha RX-630
Mission speakers
Panasonic TH-42PHD5 (1024x768resolution)

Hi Aycurumba - thanks for giving me your experience on this.

I have decided to upgrade my VCR to S-VHS with S-Vid out on it.

I have 2 S-Vid in on the amp & S-Vid out (monitor). My DVD has S-vid out so my plan is to feed the new VCR & DVD in & out of the amp using S-Vid. And to connect the Digibox to component RGB by purchasing a scart to RGB with sync splitter to give the neccessary H & V sync input.

Your comments welcome. Should I seek to feed the DVD into component to maximise picture quality or will the S-Vid connection via the amp be just as good?

Only 2 s-vid inputs? What make, so I don't buy one! Nonetheless, that sounds workable. Personally I'd do the DVD to component as it's the best signal to start with, and in the options on your sky box you may well find a 's-video' option, which gives s-vid via scart, which is likely what your new s-vhs recorder will give. Mine does. You connect that with a good quality scart to s-vid. mini din + stereo audio, as being the simplest. That's my setup. scart together with fully wired scart the s-vhs and sky box so you can record off sky, whichever way round you decide to do the component.

sorry for butting in but, if i connect up both composite and svid cables, but have nothing on the other end of the svid cable, will it still default the screen to svid? I cant see how it can know there a cable plugged in, even if theres nothing on the other end.

cheers

Strange but true. It does it with devices turned off, so I should think it does with nothing onthe cable. I'll try it when I'm bored enough.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom