1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 42PV500 vs LG 42PY10X

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Usern4me, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Usern4me

Usern4me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Recently I had the opportunity to watch an LG 42PY10X (42" 1024x768) with a HDTV demo (little LG box connected to it through component). It looked stunning on these resolutions (720p, 1080i, etc). Since I got a good price for the LG, around 2800 EUR, I ended up buying it - I'm still in the period in which I could return it for another one. In the meantime, the Panasonic 42PV500 appeared here too, and everyone is raving about it so I have tried to see it in action somewhere.
    Unfortunately the local shop where I got the LG doesn't have a 42PV500 there that I could demo - although they can order one for me if I wished to exchange my LG for it.

Regardless, the LG does look good but one ends up needing a good scaler or a PC connected to it. We don't have digital tv where I live and the image through analog is really nothing special. I get some solarization on the faces, etc. The processor that converts the analog data to digital on the LG doesn't really do a good job. This is true not only for the RF input but also for sources with SCART RGB, etc.

Connect a PC to it using DVI/VGA, use a good player like TheatherTek and then one can see a great improvement. I believe that this will also be true of any plasma, after all, but from what I've seen of other Panasonic plasmas, I think they are much better at processing the analog sources.

Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to watch the Panasonic 42PV500 with a PC so I can't really compare. Regardless of keeping the LG or getting the Panasonic, I know that I'll end up having to connect a PC to it, but the question is, from your experience, do you think I would get a real improvement in picture quality - I mean less grain, less solarization, etc, in digital modes (DVI/VGA), by choosing the Panasonic 42PV500 over the LG-42PY10X ?

Thank you very much for your help,

PD

2. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

i use the pv500 with a pc and i get a great picture, top notch. Havent see the LG.

3. Usern4me

Usern4me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx Greyhorse,

Do you use it with VGA or with DVI->HDMI cable ?