1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 42PV500 / Hitachi 6600/7200 ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bluecupra, Sep 5, 2005.

1. bluecupra

bluecupra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have read the several forum topics on this site concerning the above plasmascreens. First of i was interested in the Panasonic 42PV500. In every shop i have been to this screen is way ahead of the rest. The Hitachi 6600 screen isn't in stores yet (approx. end off this week, beginning next week). I have read several posts concerning tae PQ. After some "tweaking" the PQ is supposed to be very well. Then i come to the last screen of my list. The Hitachi 7200 has the most "vivid" color of all screens. My only concern is the screenburn issue i have read on this forum. Is the Hitachi more likely to get screen burn or is it an matter of how you use the screen?

The price off the Panasonic 42PV500 and HItachi 7200 are nearly the same here in Holland. Could anyone make my choice easier?

Thanks,

Jeffrey

2. plop90

plop90
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For a long time I was trying to come to decision between the PV500 and the 7200. I came to the conclusion that the panasonic is the better model. For starters, in England there is integrated freeview (digital free-to-air tv). Is that the same case in Holland? Is it also the case that you don't have that on the 7200?

The contrast ratio on the Panasonic is better - and it is clear to see that blacks are much blacker on the Panasonic than the Hitachi. Also the remote is better and the various other functions are easier to use. The SD card slot was a selling point for me as I could play back the recorded TV on my PDA.

The single biggest selling point for me though was the sound. You have to do the comparison yourself to understand, but the sound on the PV500 is vastly superior to that of the 7200.

On the other hand, the 7200 has the revolving stand and the DVI port, both of which are pretty cool. Another thing it might have (and this is not confirmed) is a usb port for an external card reader.

One thing to watch out for with the Panasonic is that the base price may not come with anything that you can put the display on - wall mount, pedestal stand and cabinet stand all come seperately.

So I would go for the PV500 given the choice between the two. I actually ordered a Hitachi 6600 recently as part of the super Currys offer you may have noticed being talked about elsewhere in the forum. We don't really know what the normal price point is here in England so it depends what the price is there whether the 6600 is better value.

In my opinion though, the best display is the Panasonic.

Hope I have been some help!

3. bluecupra

bluecupra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plop90; Thanks for your input

I read that you've chosen the Hitachi 6600 over the Panasonic 42PV500? I have read several discussions on this site and i am interested in this screen.

The price of the 6600 here would be between 2200 and 2300 euro's (approx. 1450/1500 GBP). There for there is quite an price difference between the 6600 and 7200/PV500. I know it would be hard to say but is the PQ of the 6600 as good as for example an Hitachi 7200 or PV500?

Here in Holland we only have the normal coaxial cable for television. We have several Digital providers which all work with an decoder. Is this the same as the free view in England? The digital signal or settop box is connected with an scart cable to the television.

Jeffrey

4. plop90

plop90
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Freeview is digital free to air television. The normal way to get it is through a box connected through scart, and these can be as cheap as 45 euros. However, some televisions have integrated digital tv. This includes the PV500 in the UK, so I would expect it to be slightly cheaper in countries where it is not a feature.

I haven't actually received my 6600 yet, but the key difference between it and the 7200 is the picturemaster technology. This does increase the picture quality, but it was my decision that the advantages of the 7200 were not worth the extra outlay. The price you say the 6600 will be available at is indeed a good one. I suggest that you go to a stoe and audition both screens when the 6600 is out.

Opinions of the people who have received their screens are very good. People seem happy with their purchase, so if you were to get a 6600 I have no doubt you would be too.

5. Dave Sayer

Dave Sayer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeffrey, thanks for posting the pictures on the thread the other day.

As one who has previewed the screens you mention and purchased the 6600 I am sure anyone who purchased a 6600 would not be disappointed.
    We all want perfection with pq but it depends on how whatever you are watching has been recorded.
    My wife watchs the soaps (British serials) which are not recorded in great picture quality. Therefore clarity is not great, on the otherhand I have just been watching "Deep Blue" undersea documentary which was terrific.
    I have (like most) not seen the set using Hi Def yet, which is when most of these sets will come into there own.
    I would suggest not spending top money as the difference from good mid range (6600) and top end is not that great.
    Thats just my opinion of course, Im sure those that have spent top end money might disagree.

Dave

6. plop90

plop90
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree whole-heartedly with Dave, but it is indeed up to you. Check them all out as soon as you can. If you do go for the 6600 you will not be disappointed, but then again you may prefer one of the other ones enough to spend more money. Only you can decide!

- Nick