Panasonic 42pv500 and the JVC

S7M0N

Established Member
Reaction score
I am just looking for a quick piece of advice..;-)

I have seen the JVC 42 HD ready and have been told it is the same panel as the Panasonic..

Does anyone know if the Panasonic produces a better picture quality with freeview sky and dvd...??

Or if it is much the same and the JVC??

Thanks

Simon

hiya

where did you hear this? i've been wondering about the JVC screen, but there seems to be a lack of information. every shop i've asked about the jvc has equated their lack of knowledge with the fact that it must be crap if no one knows anything about it. general consensus seems to be that jvc don't know what they're doing when it comes to plasmas. although there might be some truth in this, i'm still curious, because on paper its a very good screen in terms of features and value for money.

k

A friend of mine has the JVC, and he told me that JVC is owned by Panasonic... to be honest I do not know if this is true, just looking for advice on the screens...

The JVC looks very good on DVD.. but Sky looked a bit speckly .. from about 8 ft..

I have Freeview and didnt know if reception makes the difference..

Ideally I am looking to find out if the Panasonic is better picture quality than the JVC.. ?

THX

I think that if the HD JVC had a better picture than the HD Panasonic then there would have been far more discussion on the forum about it.

When I was looking for my screen a few months ago I was also stuck in the "should I get an HD ready TV?" conundrum, I saw the JVC but like you guys could find no information about it, what I did find about JVC was a history of plasma models that seemed to have issues with buzzing etc but no really good feedback.

Having said that I find the current obsession with the Panasonic PV500s amusing. If I were a total newby looking at this forum for the first time I would deduce that the PV500 had a wonderful picture to behold but had issues with image retention, reliability and the lack of supply.

The Samsungs seems to be cheap and cheerful but unless you are viewing HD sources (aren't any) they appear to be awful to live with and the after sales questionable.

Pioneers seem to be well regarded, reliable but more expensive than any of the other HD TVs.

The upshot is you need to determine if a HD Ready TV or panel is what you need and if you are willing to pay a premium for it. There's no content available, the forthcoming Sky offering will be at a premium to what they already get out of us suckers, there are SD Panels out there that will still display this HD stuff (downscaled) in spectacular fashion but are cheaper and do a better job of displaying the SD stuff that is here now.

Sorry for the long post, it just seems to me that this HD Ready lark is dragging money out of us for not very much benefit and a lot of trouble to boot.

I think that if the HD JVC had a better picture than the HD Panasonic then there would have been far more discussion on the forum about it.

Because there is only me and one other at least partly active on this forum who has one of these JVC PD42DX6 sets there can not be much discussion (well I do talk to myself, see here for my review : www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250495)

JVC was a history of plasma models that seemed to have issues with buzzing

It doesn't buzz anymore than any other plasma TV I've come across : ie. it is there but not intrusive to me.

The JVC looks very good on DVD.. but Sky looked a bit speckly .. from about 8 ft..

I view from about 7.5ft and the JVC's picture looks great on DVD and Sky(on good bit-rate channels like BBC1). The blacks are great (as good as panasonic ? maybe), the skin tones are great.

I'm really not sure why this TV is not discussed more, perhaps JVC are not marketing it well ? Or perhaps the lack of 720p/50Hz (it does the other HD resolutions of 720p/60, 1080i/60 and 1080i/50) is putting everyone off.

Martin

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom