1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panasonic 42pv500 and PC connection - please help?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by bb142, Aug 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. bb142

bb142

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking through the existing threads concerning the above, but I am still confused.

I want to connect my pc to my panasonic 42pv500, so I could perhaps surf or view video files etc through my tv. There is a DVI out on my graphics card, so what cable do I get? the DVI to HDMI cable or the d-sub cable?

The cable length from the pc to the tv will be about 10-15 Mts and I intended to buy a bluetooth keyboard and mouse as the PC is in a unit in an adjacent room which is next door to the living room, so the keyboard will only be about 3-4 Mts (direct line) from the PC.

Is what I am trying to achieve possible with my present equipment?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Laskina

Laskina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can help a little ...

I plug my laptop (no DVI) via a 15pin d-sub cable to my 42PV500 and it works fine. Not had the chance to use a DVI-HDMI cable (my PC has DVI) but the hassle of setting up my PC next to the plasma has meant I just use the laptop.

Some advice when you do connect ...

- Set your PC res to 1024x768 (the native res for the 42PV500)
    - When watching widescreen (16:9) movies you will then need to use a media player that scales the 4:3 1024x768 signal from the PC to the 16:9 1024x768 res of the plasma (e.g. zoomplayer)
    - Or some graphics card have the ability to scale for you
    - Make sure your PC refresh rate is set to 60hz (I didnt and took ages to work out why it worked fine on my monitor but not on the plasma!)

Not sure about the length of cable or the bluetooth (I use IR and its not that good) ... can anyone else help?

Nick