Panasonic 42PT10 - opinions wanted

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by jon smith, Feb 1, 2002.

Tags:
  1. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Hi folks

Right, just getting down to replacing my Samsung TV. Had a very nice discussion with Brian at Robert Whyte ltd and I can now choose what TV I want.

Have finally decided that I want to stick with widescreen, was tempted to return to the 4:3 clan. But 16:9 looks better in the house.

Was pretty much sold on the Toshiba, but have just come across the Panasonic model. Haven't seen any reviews though, which is a little annoying.

The Panasonic - Does it have component inputs? Or is the progressive scan done internally. I was after component for my GC (as it doesn't output RGB).

Can you watch 4:3 mode material in RGB (or does it automatically stretch to 16:9, like my Samsung did. Does it have black or grey lines at the sides for 4:3 material?

Any thoughts appreciated, especially on the Panny as there isn't much written about it.

2. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jon

I have the Pana.

You can check out some of my comments by searching on TX42PT10.

No component inputs, three scart with 1 RGB capable.

There is the option to switch between 100hz, auto and "progressive" on the picture mode, this gives (at least to me) a slight flicker due to the 50hz refresh.

You can watch 4:3 from RGB Source. The viewing mode is quite flexible, you can switch between 4:3 (with black bars), zoom mode, Justified (which stretches at the outer edges) and Auto (which seems to stretch variably depending on the viewed material). You can switch between these at will.

I'm pretty happy with the purchase so far.

Cheers

Laurel

PS. Anything else I can help with please ask.

3. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the Panasonic still have only one central point for converging or has it copied Toshiba and Sony by introducing points around the edge of the screen too? Does it still have a reflective screen?

4. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Delta

The convergence has two options in the normal "user" menu. The first allows a "general" central convergence. The second allows a 9 point convergence with points around the screen.

In addition, from the service menu, a very detailed 64 point convergence can be accessed.

The screen is not "matt" like the tosh and is "slightly" reflective when switched off. However, in operation this seems to be almost invisible. The manual states that the screen is supposed to have some kind of "anti-reflective" treatment. I have not managed to discover what this "treatment" is yet - but it seems to work!

Cheers

Laurel

5. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't comment on the quality of the Plasma TV you are asking about but I can advise you on something else. DO NOT buy from Robert Whyte Ltd. They were very helpful when you asked about the tv ?? I bet they were, the problem is after you give them payment. Thats where the interest stops. Buy from them at your peril mate. Do a search on these forums for Robert Whyte and you'll find plenty of irate buyers.

6. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HBK747

This is a rear-pro set not plasma.

Your right about Robert Whyte though. There do seem to have been a few unhappy customers.

I purchased from qed-uk at £1596 delivered.

Jon - how much were you quoted?

Cheers

Laurel

7. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Hi

Laurel - thanks for your comments, I have done a search and was interesting reading. Does the progressive scan only work with rgb input, or can you use it with S Video inputs as well. I take it as well that the only S Video (proper) input is at the front. Thanks for your help.

Robert Whyte haven't quoted yet, but i'll make sure I don't have to pay any on top of the Samsung i'm replacing. (about £1660)

HBK757 - don't worry, I know all about Robert Whyte. The main complaint thread is from me (I also mentioned them to you on the DVD forums). In a way i'm better off staying with them now, because of the previous complaints they respond more now. So whilst I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, I do at least have a relationship with them and know things will get done. You got your TV fixed yet?

8. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately no not yet. The engineer is coming out on Monday to have a look at the TV. Let's hope he either writes the thing off or fixes it, cause I wont be waiting x number of weeks for it to be repaired ect...

9. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Jon

Works with all inputs.

By proper i assume you mean the 4 pin din connector? Then yes - this is at the front. However, 2nd and 3rd SCART at the back are also Svid capable (just use a SCART to Svid lead).

Cheers

Laurel

PS Either this is a bloody good set or nobody else has one - cos there is a distinct lack of complaining on the forums.

10. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Well, i've gone for the Panasonic over the Tosh in the end. I had a look at them over the weekend in Selfridges and over at PRC in Ilford. All badly set up, but did the best I could.

In the end it came down to what would look best in my room. I prefer the looks of the Panny and it just feels better, so I went with my instinct. No component, but the inbuilt progressive scan should help make up for that.

Thanks for your help Laurel. How much was the service manual and where did you order it from?

11. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone that has this TV have an opinion on Sky Sports broadcasts ? I've heard 100Hz makes football games look pretty bad with digital artifacts.

Thanks.

12. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon

Welcome to the small but perfectly formed TX42PT10 owners club.

Still waiting for a response from the official Pana spares people (0870 241 7244). They had none in stock and no reference for the new manual. I have chased a couple of times and they are apparantly waiting for pricing/deliveries from Panasonic.

I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Do you have the set yet or are you awaiting delivery? Let me know what you think once you have the baby fixed up.

HBK757
    Unfortunately I don't have Sky. What I can say though is that you can switch the 100hz on and off, so if there is a problem - it's curable!

I haven't noticed any particular issues with the 100hz implementation yet.

Cheers

Laurel

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THE PANY HAS TWO RGB CAPABLE SCARTS NOT ONE
    SCART 1 (AV1) RGB OR COMPOSITE
    SCART 2 (AV2) SVHS OR COMPOSITE (AND Q-LINK)
    SCART 3 (AV4) RGB,SVHS AND COMPOSITE.
    I'M FIRMLY OF THE OPINION THAT THIS IS THE BEST VALUE
    OF ANY REAR PROJECTION SET ON THE MARKET AT THE MOMENT
    WHEN CORRECTLY SET UP AND CONVERGED THE PICTURE IS BRILLIANT BUT THE SET UP MUST BE DONE PROPERLY
    AND THEN CHECKED ON A DAILY BASIS FOR ABOUT 10-14 DAYS
    AS IT DOESN'T LIKE TO BE MOVED ABOUT A LOT
    AFTER THIS PERIOD CHECKS MONTHLY SEEM TO KEEP THIS MONSTER LOOKING PRISTINE
    I'TS MOST IMPORTANT THAT YOU BUY FROM A GOOD DEALER
    WHO'S COMMITED TO OFFERING GOOD SERVICE NOT JUST A GOOD PRICE!! BE AWARE REAR PROJECTION SETS REQUIRE THIS SORT OF PERIODIC MAINTENENCE TO GIVE GOOD PERFORMENCE

REGARDS ROB23

14. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob23

Thanks for posting - It now seems we have another member of the PT10 owners club (3 and counting). Anyone else???

I think the documentation (and Panas web site) lied about AV4 being RGB, but I'll double check tonight. Have you tried it?

By the way - you might want to tone down the CAPITALS - it's translated as SHOUTING. Should only be used in context.

Cheers

Laurel

15. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Has been ordered (just waiting confirmation on likely delivery date) so hopefully should be here soon.

Be interested if you could check the RGB situation.

cheers, jon.

16. L.SKYWALKER

L.SKYWALKER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Count me in the Panny club.I've had the set since mid December after falling for it out Christmas shopping!I bought mine from Sound and Vision from Farnworth stange delivery though half past ten on a Sunday night! (Christmas Rush)
    The set is perfect it doesn't over power the room like some large sets can.However having trouble with the convergance menu any help is greatly appeciated cheers:D

17. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 x RGB SCARTS

How the HELL did I miss that one...

Tried it last night - I do have 2 RGB capable SCARTS! AV1 and AV4 both RGB!!! Apologies Rob23!

Another plus for the Pana. Rock on.

Luke

Good choice! Welcome to the club (4 & counting).

If you give me a bit more detail on the problem I'll try and help.

I take it you are just using the 9 point convergence on the user menu (convergence 2)?

I had to tweak slightly from the service menu (64 point convergence) to get mine perfect (which took a while to work out how to use as I don't have any instructions yet - still waiting for the service manual). I have made some notes though on this I can let you have if you like. I was waiting until I get the service manual just to confirm my notes as I didn't want to post duff info.

Cheers

Laurel

18. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, ive done it. i have cancelled the order for the tosh tv and iv ordered the pan tx42pl10. i just hope laurel is right about this set not having the moire lines when playing reg 1 discs. I had a really bad feeling getting the tosh (dont know why) but I feel better now for opting to good old panasonic. Im hoping there in stock at the warehouse so I will get it in a few days. ill find out on thursday. Well, set no 5 fingers croosed this one is ok

19. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Set #5 ?? Damn! in what period of time ?

20. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    shaunthedude

Good choice man.

You'll be happy with this one. I'm convinced this is the hidden gem amongst RP's at the moment.

Let us know the verdict after you receive.

Welcome to the club (that's 5 now).

Cheers

Laurel

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Very interested to hear how it goes shaun... It'll also be set #5 for me when I get around to ordering a new one (the other 4 were Tosh's).

Cheers
    Daz

22. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just had word off currys. the pan is out of stock and will not be back in till feb 14.(******) As soon as I get it I will let you know my thoughts. Heres hoping.

cheers guys,

23. L.SKYWALKER

L.SKYWALKER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi everyone,

posted the other day that I,ve had problems with the convergence adjustment.When I open the convergence menu I had never see one before (first RP set) so I just moved the red cross to the right, now it won,t move in any direction except up and down.The only way i can get a picture is changing the scan mode to Progressive only with a pal signal,NTSC works with 100 htz etc.Phoned Sound and Vision and was informed because it was my fault and not the tv,s I would be charged 40 pounds an hour for somone to come and have a look.Any help is greatly needed:)

24. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    L.SKYWALKER

Did you start with the green alignment or just dive straight into red?

There is a limit as to how far you can move the guns in relation to the basepoint green.

I would get back into convergence, and start with green. The cross should be aligned with the small notches in the plastic, found in the centre of the screen surround of the right side and bottom.

Once you have the green centred, move back to red. I hope you will then find you have some leeway on the setting. Don't forget to set blue last.

Let me know if this does the trick.

If not we can talk about service menu, but I doubt you've been into this minefield yet?

Cheers

Laurel

25. L.SKYWALKER

L.SKYWALKER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Thanks I,II try that tonight after the set has warmed up.I,II let you know how I get on.

Cheers:cool:

26. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my 42pt10 came today and im very dissapointed. I put it on and wauted like the instrucyions told me too. The picture was great to start with then after about half an hour it went quite bright. Then it went alsorts of colours. red green and blues. I went into convergance but instead of one cross hair there was 3 and ajusting them made no difference. dvd still plays fine. I dont know what to do now. MAybe I should just keep my 36 panny and live with the slight fault. Im really P****d OFF

27. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when i go into covergence 2. instead of there being a white cross with blue and red ones behind it there seems to be 3 blurred crosses. the blue and red ones that are behind the white one are bent so it is impossible to alighn them behind the straight white cross. any ideas??? the picture is now totally unwatchable

28. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    shaunthedude

Just got back from a short break in the lakes to notice your post.

Sorry to hear your having a problem.

First thought is you have been unlucky again, however you mention that DVD's still play ok? Are these r1 or r2? Reason I ask is that convergence is held independently for PAL/NTSC.

If you are playing R2 DVD and it's ok, then this must be something to do with the signal. i.e. difference between RGB SCART and RF IN.

Have you tried VCR on composite? or viewing terrestrial through the VCR?

Let me know and I'll see if I can help further.

Cheers

Laurel

29. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi laurel,

all pictures are now the same (multicoloured), pal, ntsc, auto, 100hz or progressive. when i go into convergence 2 and click on any point 1-9 I get a straight cross hair which is white. behind the cross hair is the red and blue cross hairs. BUT. these are bent so it is impossible to line them up behind the white one. There is also green/blue and red splodges along the bottom of the picture. The green cross hair in convergence 1 (the big cross hair) will not line up to the notches on the tv. The vertical line is nearly in place but the horozontal one is about 2 inches too high. The blue cross hair will also not move high enough to go behind the white one. BLIMEY what a life I have with tvs. When i buy a rp set it should be set up properly, am I right. and i should not need to touch convergence. Is this convergence thing going to be somthing i am going to have to keep faffing on with, OR can I buy a RP set, plug it in and just enjoy it without any tweeks.

Cheers, Shaun

30. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Shaun

Hmmmmm...

Have you considered you may be a Jinx? :eek: :D

I take it you haven't messed about in the service menu to cause the problem? From what you said it suddenly "went wrong" so I take it you didn't.

You didn't mention wether you were watching R1 or R2 DVD, but I'll assume R2. In which case can you try an R1? As I said, the convergence is held seperately for this and will give us a clue as to the problem.

The key to initial convergence is the green (centre gun) alignment. This needs to be centred on screen - hence the large green cross the full width & height of the screen, and the little notches in the exact centre of the case. The red & blue guns can only be adjusted so far in relation to the green centre gun, at which point the guns cannot be adjusted further. Do you have the ability to move the green cross at all? Once this is in place, look at the red, then the blue. The blue will never sit entirely behind the cross (and be hidden) but will always "bloom" a little around the edges. This is to do with the tech, full explanation not required (cos I've forgotten for the minute).

In theory, you should be able to purchase your TV, take it home and watch a perfect picture. In practice, the factory only sets up the TV to "within tolerance" and this may not give perfect results - hence the need to "tweek" the picture a bit yourself (assuming you want the best results!).

You will find this is not only an issue with RP sets but with direct view and projector as well. Unless you want to shell out for a plasma, there is always a going to be some slight tweeking. The manufacturers even recognise this, that's why they put "convergence" options in the user menu's.

OK. It may be that you are unlucky (Jinxed?) enough to get another duff set in which case a swap will be necessary. It's worth a try in getting that green gun alligned first. Let me know if you can move it at all.

Cheers

Laurel