1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 42PHD6 prices/queries?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by anderson64, Sep 11, 2004.

1. anderson64

anderson64
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to order a 42" panel and am favouring Panasonic.

I have found that I seem to be very aware of the screendoor effect when demoing the PW6, and in the new house where the screen will take pride of place, we will be sitting reasonably close - and no I don't want a 37".

So as the prices are dropping for the sd panel are there any deals for the PHD6 anywhere? I can't find any. If not does the panel justify the extra cost if I decide to stretch the budget that far?

As an alternative, how does the Pio 434HDE compare with the PHD6 in "real life". I have found so far that I much prefer the picture of even the sd Panny (except screeendoor) and I am not that bothered about DVI. I found the Pioneer picture surprisingly grainy, grey and with a fair amount of banding, although for the family the tv versus monitor option does have a certain appeal.

2. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny, you and I seems to be the only ones that noticed the screendoor effect on the Panasonics, maybe we have better eyes than most people?

Anyway, i saw the PW6 and it was really bad, pixels everywhere, like watching a second generation LCD projector or similar.

I didn't give up so i went to another dealer and the experience was the same, the screendoor is clearly visible.

I don't think you will be much happier with the HD6 as it's not THAT much more pixels than the PW6.

I think plasmas need to reach 1920x1080 before we can say the screendoor is not visible.

However i haven't noticed ANY screendoor when i watched the newest Samsung SP-50L7HX DLP HD2+ rearprojection TV.

The picture on the Samsung was so smooth, no plasma comes near the Samsung in PQ that is for sure.

3. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Lizzard, Just looked at the Samsung web site, do you own one of these or have you just view the TV in a showroom

Must admitt the screen looks really nice

4. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is screen door

5. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Anderson,
    I too had a problem with the screen door effect with the SD res plasmas.
    I purchased the PHD6 (at last years prices!), and am very happy with it.

Check AV-SALES website, they were selling it for what I feel to be sensible price the last time I checked. The only annoying thing about the screen is Panasonics apparent total disregard for customers and no future support with DVI/No HDMI.
    I went to Kent to view one before purchasing and IMO it beat everything else, apart from ease of use.

Steve.

6. anderson64

anderson64
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

Any views on the Pioneer 43MXE-1? Read some very positive responses on here regarding the picture quality, seems to be better than the 434 (which I don't like) but how does it compare to the Panny PHD6?