Panasonic 42ph9 connectivity

chris3234red

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to this and see that the 42ph9 is on offer through av sales and seems very robust from feedback on this forum.
Could anyone advise me of the most costeffective way to connect my sky+ box,an external dvb-t tuner and dvd player to this panel to give a good quality picture.
I currently have a pioneer vsx301 amp which feeds all signals through scart connections to my old crt tv.
My dvd player does have component out as well.
I would require a dvb-t tuner because quite often we watch (currently analogue) tv while the kids watch sky in another room,but obviously we only have one sky box in the house.
I know that you can buy various terminal boards for this panel but i have been told board with a tuner in it.

Any help would be appreciated.

The special deal includes HDMI as well as Composite/S-Video. You can add on another 1 unit - Component. VGA is built-in.
Whilst it's possible to do what you want it to do, I can't help thinking unless you go Sky HD and use the HDMI input up, then you're going to have a lot of conversions to do to get everything to work, and a regular PX70/700 might be better suited to the job.

One possible solution is a HDD based DVD recorder with DVB-T, and HDMI out - that'll kill 2 birds with one stone right there.
That leaves the Sky+ which you could use a SCART board, instead of the Component or maybe an RGB SCART-VGA cable meaning you don't need to bother with the 3rd slot for now.

Contact Alistair in the thread by PM/e-mail and ask him the costs involved and his opinion, then see if it's still worth going for (inc the DVD recorder option) or whether the PX7 series is a better solution.

The special deal includes HDMI as well as Composite/S-Video. You can add on another 1 unit - Component. VGA is built-in.

Actually a second HDMI blade can be fitted to slot 3 but it requires a dip switch change. AV-Sales will provide the details if required.

Cheers.

What deal do you mean? I see the TH42PH9 for £970 but an HDMI board seems to cost an extra £135 (and a ped stand an extra £120 odd). Not a bad deal but the PX70 is still winning me over at the moment.

What deal do you mean? I see the TH42PH9 for £970 but an HDMI board seems to cost an extra £135 (and a ped stand an extra £120 odd). Not a bad deal but the PX70 is still winning me over at the moment.

The PH9 is superior to the consumer PX series. Apart from the better PQ it has three input slots which can accept various input boards incuding Scart, component and HDMI in addition to the standard VGA input.

Whilst the manual states slot 3 cannot accept a HDMI board it can if a dip switch is set on the board. See here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425163&highlight=dip+switch

If you don't have a AV amp and decent speakers the PX range is a good plasma TV. The PH series are just plasma panels with no speakers or amp and are best for home cinema. Where they excel is in PQ as they have extra picture controls which, when adjusted by professional calibrators, will further improve the picture.

Cheers.

Actually a second HDMI blade can be fitted to slot 3 but it requires a dip switch change. AV-Sales will provide the details if required.

Cheers.

Yes, but in the above context, I meant the OP could opt for the 3rd slot to be a Component module to marry up with his DVD player.
I didn't mean to infer the 3rd slot was Component only, and nothing else.

Yes, but in the above context, I meant the OP could opt for the 3rd slot to be a Component module to marry up with his DVD player.
I didn't mean to infer the 3rd slot was Component only, and nothing else.

Yes I appreciate this doesn't affect the OP but I wanted to clarify the position regarding slot 3 and HDMI. I don't think it's widely known that it can take a HDMI blade. Sorry for any confusion :)

I thought I saw something on AV's site saying it could take two HDMI boards.
Hang on a tick.......

Nope, must've imagined it. The Panny brochure says slots 1 & 2 strangely enough.
Useful info all the same as I've been thinking about this as an option instead of the PX70/700.
If I understand correctly, you need to leave the Composite blade in if you add either a SCART or Component blade otherwise the Sync on Green doesn't function/isn't there?

I thought I saw something on AV's site saying it could take two HDMI boards.
Hang on a tick.......

Nope, must've imagined it. The Panny brochure says slots 1 & 2 strangely enough.
Useful info all the same as I've been thinking about this as an option instead of the PX70/700.
If I understand correctly, you need to leave the Composite blade in if you add either a SCART or Component blade otherwise the Sync on Green doesn't function/isn't there?

Officially it takes 2 HDMI boards (in slots 1 and 2) with the option of a third in slot 3 with the dip switch setting as described by Alistair. You would need to check with AV Sales about the Sync on Green issue. They're nice people - give them a call.:thumbsup:

Thanks RayP, I understand the differences between the two sets but I couldn't for the life of me find on the AV-Sales site any deal that 'includes HDMI as well as Composite/S-Video'. I have a good Yamaha/Wharefdale surround set up and a Toppy PVR so I really dont need all the functions of a TV but I have 3 items to connect which starts getting a bit expensive on the PH9s. Might wait till the 10 series enters the market later this year and see if the price gets squeezed down.

Thanks RayP, I understand the differences between the two sets but I couldn't for the life of me find on the AV-Sales site any deal that 'includes HDMI as well as Composite/S-Video'. I have a good Yamaha/Wharefdale surround set up and a Toppy PVR so I really dont need all the functions of a TV but I have 3 items to connect which starts getting a bit expensive on the PH9s. Might wait till the 10 series enters the market later this year and see if the price gets squeezed down.

Hi ukflyboy,

The Easter offer on the PH9 looks brilliant. The PH9 comes with a VGA socket which can take Sky+ SD via a suitable box such as the JS-Tech Scart-VGA. The supplied Composite/S-Video board is another input leaving slots 2 and 3 for HDMI.

Would that cover your requirements? As far as waiting for the 10 series those will be priced higher and won't have any significant PQ improvement. Save yourself some dosh and go for the PH9 offer.

Cheers.

Out of curiosity I've started looking at the PH9 as a viable alternative to the PX70 series.

Although the PH9 is in a different league to the PX70, the one thing which is sort of putting me off is the issue regarding connectivity and which terminal boards you can & cannot put into slots 1, 2 and 3.

I did ask an experienced forum member yesterday for some advice pointing out the limitations with what can go in slot 3.

Shame I didn't see this thread yesterday, doh !, because now I know that the HDMI terminal board can work from slot 3 by changing the dip switch :thumbsup: which makes things a bit easier as I would be looking to add the Scart terminal board aswell.

Depending on the terminal board configuration, anyone who may require additional HDMI inputs (and doesn't have an amp for example with HDMI switching) might be interested in this :

http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/av_cables/switcher/

Was suggested to me by gizlaroc so thanks to him for that :thumbsup:

It is available from a few retailers here in the UK, Amazon being one & is also on pre-order. Price Amazon are charging is £49.99 with free delivery which is a very good price & apparently this gadget is supposed to be very good.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom