1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 42PE50B Buzzing Unacceptable?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Snubber, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Snubber

Snubber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,

Just over one week ago I purchased a Panasonic 42PE50B plasma screen from Shop @Panasonic in Plymouth. For the first few days the screen exceeded my expectations - picture and sound brilliant, however it has now developed a pronounced buzz from the rear left hand side. The buzz was definitely not perceivable from normal viewing distances for the first three days of operation - I watched Blue Planet on day one which happened to be on UK History just after I set the screen up and would have picked up on the buzz since the programme is generally very qiet throughout.

I understand/accept that the PSU's on plasma displays do make a degree of noise however in my opinion the buzz from my set is far in excess of what can be considered normal. For example my wife, parents and myself can clearly hear the buzz from 11 feet away (which is the normal viewing distance in our living room) when I press mute or during quiet/silent parts of a television show. As you can imagine this is very distracting and not what I would expect from a £1600 television set.

I have raised the problem with Shop @Panasonic and they took the set into their workshop for an assessment. Unfortunately due to background noise within the shop and workshop it was impossible to confirm whether the buzz coming from my set was ‘normal’. In all honesty there is no real way that I will be able to get the shop to carry out an objective assessment on whether my set is defective - they were very unwilling to set my set up next to another display model etc. The repair technician was adamant that the level of noise/buzz was normal.

I would be grateful for any opinions particularly from those with PE50's. I would also like to have some idea of where I stand on consumer rights grounds w.r.t getting a replacement or refund.

Thanks in advance.

Chris H

2. the highlander

the highlander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i have just put my one on mute and tried to locate any sounds , i did find a very faint buzz form the back of the set ( wall mount ) and i mean i had to strain to hear it and my ear was as close as it could be .
    so i would say its faulty as i have never had a problem when watching and getting a buzz in the month or so i have had it .

3. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Mine has a very slight buzz but is not enough to distract from my viewing pleasure.

One thing that you will probably notice is that the buzz will often increase when the screen is displaying bright colours, i.e. it will be most noticible when the image is totally white (often occurs on some TV ads etc.)

4. Snubber

Snubber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah I noticed that the buzzing does vary depending on screen mode and brightness (worse in dynamic obviously - running mine in cinema with constrast/brightness set to about 30%)

Can you hear the buzzing from about 11 feet when volume is set to mute?

Cheers,

CH

5. the highlander

the highlander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    no i cant hear any buzzing from any distance unless my ear is in the back of the plasma :eek: even when its running at high brightness levels .

6. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Same as highlander, i can barely hear the buzz from from any distance with mute on, only if i get real close to the set and then it's no more noticable than my previous panny CRT set.