1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 42PE50

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Majid Khan, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having cancelled my Hitachi 6600 after seeing the screen burn on my mate's brand new Hitachi , I was quite determined to take the LCD route... but after spending the last two days visiting Comet, Dixons, and the Sony Centre looking specifically at LCDs... I'm not convinced I really want an LCD, the picture quality is just nowhere near as good as what I'm after.

So I find myself back to square one again - looking for a new plasma.. :D

While I was at Comet, I happened to come across a Panasonic engineer (who happened to be at the store, to calibrate the PV500) and after telling him about my worries about screen burn with plasma, he went on to tell me that the new Panasonic Viera plasmas are not nearly or almost, but have the same level of resistance to screen burn as a CRT television. He mentioned some kind of testing they did with the 42PE50 with static images being left for long hours and there was only temporary retention of the image - which would fade away after 10 mins of normal viewing but no case of screen burn.

In his words "while I do think there's a real problem with screen burn out there if you get plasmas from lesser makes, but with a Panasonic G8 panel you can relax and just use it as a normal television without any worry how long you have the same channel on for, screen burn is not an issue - put it this way, even if you want to screen burn it deliberately, it will take quite a bit of effort!"

Reassuring words, I must say.. and I also know that i've read similar comments about screen burn resistance for the Panasonics on here ---- so now I'm seriously thinking abt getting a Panny.. probably the 42PE50.

I would appreciate if any owners of the Panasonic plasmas can tell me if you have ever seen or experienced any screen burn (or image retention) ?

Also I was told by the Panasonic engineer that there is likely to be a new range of Panasonic Viera coming out in the next couple of months or so - in time for Christmas, so I'm wondering whether it might be a good idea to wait for those... anyone aware of any details of the upcoming Vieras ?

Ideally I do want a High Definition panel and would go for the PV500 - but I have read about the 'faults' other ppl have experienced with this set and also I know one or two ppl have had screen burn on the PV500 on here.. so that has me a little hesitant.

I'm assuming the next range of Viera will be even more screen burn resistant.. and will be HD ready, so might well be worth waiting for..

2. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    havent heard anything about now screens from panasonic. im going for the pv500 as none of the people on here have had a problem with screenburn, as far as i know you dont get on any of the viera's

3. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello,

i got the 42pe50, and i have not experienced any screen burn of any kind whatsoever. I've been doing all kinds of gaming from different sources, and often with static graphics for hours, and it has had no consequense whatsoever.
    As long as you set your contrast and brightness sensibly, i would imagine you can use this set just like a regular crt.

regarding the 'new' viera, maybe he's referring to the 42pe55. difference being that the 55 includes a hdmi plug, which could be nice if you're planning on buying a bluray/hd-dvd player. but which also is not of importance really, since you can also use the component plug of the 42pe50 to hook the players up. the 'downside' of hooking bluray/hd-dvd up via component is that the players will only output the hd movies in standard definition, but since the plasma is 852*480 anyway the content will be scaled down either way, so it makes no difference. Hd benefits such as better colouring and less/no mpeg artifacts will still shine through.

dont buy the 42pv500, despite it being popular its not high definition, its only 1024*768(and a 4:3 resolution stretched to fit a 16:9 format!). if you want HD plasma, buy atleast a 1366*768 plasma, which is the official minimum requirement for being considered HD, or HD Ready.

4. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also thinking about the Sony 42XS1 as an alternative, although i'm not so sure it would be any less prone to screen burn than the Hitachi plasmas (given that Sony use the same ALIS panels) -- but its my missus pushing me to get a Sony, she has this 'belief' that if you get a "sony" and you won't have any problems with it - and also I think she really likes the 'look' of the Sony 42XS1.

Anyone ever experienced screen burn on Sony plasmas?

I would prefer the 42PE50 after hearing the comments of the Panasonic engineer, but i'm thinking the Sony might just give my wife a 'peace of mind'.. lol. and if the worst did happen, she can't tell me "I told you so! if you had listened to me and got a Sony, we wouldn't have had this problem!" :rotfl:

5. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think i'll also take a look at the Pioneer 436 , so its worth keeping my options open for the moment.. i'm in no rush this time, but want a screen which is as screen burn resistant as possible.

6. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi Majid,

I've got last year's model of Viera the TH-37PE30 and I've had my screen for over a year. In that time I've not experienced image retention let alone screen burn. I tend to watch cable TV, DVD's and play PS2 games sometimes for extended periods.

I've read a couple of posts here from PV500 members that, alas, have suffered from screen burn so whilst I would not say that the Panasonic screens are totally immune, I think the standard definition screens maybe more resilient than their high definition cousins. I've certainly not seen any posts from PE30 or PE50 owners complaining of burn.

S.

7. the highlander

the highlander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    no problems here on my pe50 :thumbsup: great plasma I'm happy with it :D

8. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Majid, letting your wife choose a plasma because she likes the brand is plain nuts when spending this amount of money. There is such a variance in quality of the pictures on plasma's that the choice becomes far more important.

She'll be far more upset if you get it home and she hates the picture!

9. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Entirely agree UrbanT, but I'm assuming here that Sony (sure they aren't quite the same force in the world of plasma TVs that they once were in the world of CRT tvs) would still be pretty much 'top of the range' stuff.. and from what I have seen, I do like their picture quality (possibly more so than the Panasonics) but my main concern right now is screen burn. I just want a tele - nothing more and nothing less... one that allows me to watch what I want for how long I want, without having to worry about logos on screen etc.

In that respect I'm encouraged by the comments i've heard and read about the Panasnoic PE50 range, so at the moment its top of my list..

To be honest, how much I spend on a plasma is not really much of an issue - I'm willing to spend 5 grand if it guarantees me screen burn proof technology.. and flawless picture quality on a big screen. :)

10. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Thast really interesting. When I first started my research (before heading into the plasma forum), the demo's I had consistently left me asking why Sony had even entered into the plasma market. The pictures were that bad.

Then when searching on the forums, there seem to be very few owners of Sony plasma's. I'm sure I also saw a report somewhere that said Sony were going to be concentrating on LCD's in the future.

Either way, if the picture looks good to you, thats the most important thing :)

11. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    first of all, kenji-san, im afraid 1024x768 is an official HD ready resolution. 720 lines are needed in a 16:9 physical aspect ratio. 1366x768 is unlikely in a 42", and much more common in 50" ones.

Secondly, Majid Kahn, after reading many of your posts in your quest to find a plasma :), i think you are concentrating too much on other peoples experiences, and less on your favoured PQ.

Only 11% of pv500 viewers say their experience is ruined by the problems, and i bet if the survey was on every pv500 owner in UK that number would go down dramatically (remember a lot of people come to these forums to try and solve their probs, happy bunnys probably never bother and wander on in dynamic mode :D ).

Sony are leaving the plasma market afaik, and every sony plasma i have seen has been pretty pants:thumbsdow.

If i was you i would go for the pv500, and if its dodgy, return it and get a pe50, but be prepared to upgrade in the near future. Or as you say wait for the 436 to surface and let 17 more people put you off that!!!

12. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    That is not correct. The pv500 is hd ready and the 1024x768 resolution IS 16:9 by having non square pixles......

edit: chedmaster got there first :D

13. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  14. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my brother was complaining the todays high def isn't like the americans as most can only show 720 and not the 1080 without scaling...not sure if I'm making the water more murkey but he is a technical buff and for him to forgoe it on his 360 tells me this must be the case?

does anyone know if 2nd generation plasmas will be 1080?

i myself am awaiting the delivery of the 42pe50

15. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    pv500 can do 1080i. 1080p is coming, first to do it is the Pioneer 436/506. But Sky are not supporting 1080p and neither is the Xbox, so cant see the point in it myself, thats why im going for the pv500 and of course its £500 cheaper than the Pioneer.

16. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No doubt 1080p will be the standard in the future, but we're talking many years away. The problem is that for over-the-air or satellite transmission, the bandwidth for 1080p is far greater than 720p (obviously), and the benefit is just not great enough to make it worthwhile at the moment. Add in all the additional costs needed for 'normal' tv programmes to go 1080p (more expensive cameras, editing, effects, etc., not to mention the better makeup to cover the newsreader's spots) and it's not worth holding your breath for.

17. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    heard theyre coming in japan by christmas (1080p pannys) but will be 65", maybe 50" and not 42" for quite a while. also expect prices to be sky high to start with (sky high, geddit, cos sky tv is expensive, ha ha ha...:rolleyes: )

18. clayton

clayton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    ok could do with some advice here guys, just back from currys & seen the samsung sp42d5sdx & the pany 42pe40b, i like the look of the samsung but the panys picture is alittle bit better, also ive read on here that the pany 42pe40b is a currys exclusive model & really is a th42pe50b can anyone confirm this?
    This is my first plasma & would like to order it in the next day or two, what im after is one that will work well with freeview, i wont be having sky so have no real need for HD ( or do i ?) is there any reason why i shouldnt go for the
    Panasonic TH42PE50B & has anyone used these people

http://www.letsgodigital.co.uk/html.../panasonic_th42pe50b_with_pedestal_stand.html

Thanks for any help you can give :thumbsup:

19. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Can't answer most of your questions, but I have to ask, would you really want the 40? I think it looks completely naff with the all silver surround :(

20. bazlion

bazlion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Clayton.

I have contacted these people my self to buy the same, very prompt and helpfull e.mail response, and their terms and conditions are very clearly defined along with a 30 day money back guarantee. If I do buy it will be from them. Unless of course anyone has any nightmare stories, but all the Customer Reviews on "Pricerunner" are very positive.

21. clayton

clayton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    UrbanT i agree the 40B does look naff but as i said the th42pe50b is ment to be the same panel & just wanted that confirmed before i went for it. :)

22. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i thought 360 was gonna do 1080p :confused:

23. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, that's a pretty naff resolution to stretch into a 16:9 format anyway. i mean, who wants rectangular pixels? kind of problematic with a 1:1 mapping.
    also, i've said it before, the difference between pe50 and pv500 is 172*288 more in resolution. how much 'hd' is there in this extra res?

well, he still has to upgrade in the near future if he buys the pv500, because bluray,hd-dvd,ps3,xbox360(?) will all also play 1080p, which pv500 cant do natively. So we're not talking 'kick it back with the pv500 next 10 years' if he wants the real hd deal.

in my opinion, i find it strange that both 1920*1080 and 1024*768 both go under the same name of 'hd'. i mean, they must produce 2 very different picture qualities, with the one being nearly twice of the other's resolution on the vertical.
    only problem though, if the logo 'hd ready' were produced in order to avoid confusion and tech talk from high street dealers who don't really know what they're talking about, then surely when 1920*1080 finally comes around it may be neglected, cause it's still only 'hd ready', and in consumers eyes just as good as the pv500. unless they come up with some new term.

supra hd ready
    hd ready - the sequel/new & improved
    as-hd-as-it-gets-buy-this-now-now hd ready
    hd ready - so ready, it's really ready (can make coffee by turning volume down, turn bass up to full, treble down, and go to p. 99 all while frantically pressing p.^ on the plasma)

24. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    actually sky are not doing 1080p, xbox 360 doesnt either. As for Blu-ray it will be done on the PS3 perhaps (noone knows for sure yet until it comes out).

25. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  26. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    yeah 1080i but not 1080p

27. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay done a bit of searching on AV forums for the Panasonic SD plasmas, it seems they really are resistant to screen burn.. as I can't find a single instance of anyone claiming to have had screen burn with the SD panels.. to the contrary I've read claims from ppl claiming to have acidentally left their GameCubes and PS2s on all night on their Panny PW7s or PE50s and wake up expecting the worst but to their surprise, not a hint of screen burn.

Very pleased to hear that is the case... can someone assure me that this means there should be no problem with the kids watching Cbeebies for upto 5-6 hrs a day even (non-stop) on a Panasonic 42PE50?

Or perhaps I should avoid channels with logos during the first 200 hrs and then once it has been run in at low settings I should let the kids loose on it.. is that a better idea?

I have read one or two negative remarks on the Pioneer plasmas (with regards to screen burn) so that rules out the Pio 436 for me - regardless of its pic quality / or price. Likewise with the PV500.

So I'm thinking the Panasonic 42PE50 is my best bet, if I'm after a screen burn proof plasma.. and maybe i'd be better off getting an LCD by the time High Definition comes around... given that the pic quality on LCDs with HD isn't too bad.. or perhaps by then Panasonic might come out with a High Definition plasma that is just as screen burn resistant as their SD panels..

28. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    if you run the pv500 properly during run-in i havent heard of any problems with screenburn. Was in John Lewis today and asked if any had come back and he said 1. For a faulty main board. Im quite sure that screenburn wont be an issue, wether it was the 42pe50/42pv500.

29. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    If you want to be really safe you can zoom the picture to lose the channel DOG, would your kids really be miffed at watching Cebeebies without the awful logo? That's what I did for the first 200 hours or so, I like to watch some music channels so used any of the 3 zoom settings to get the logo off the screen. I also took the TV straight into Cinema mode from Dynamic. In fact it's still in Cinema to this day.

S.

30. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    good advice will have to remember that option when my tv arrives to avoide the dredded dogs