Panasonic 42PE30

Neil69

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm interested in buying the new Panasonic 42PE30 plasma TV when it comes out next month. The only thing that I'm worried about is screen burn as I will be connecting my Sky+ box to it, even though it has a built in Freeview DVB. Has anyone who has a plasma experienced any screen burn from any digital channel which has a stupid logo on screen?
Cheers, Neil
:) :) :p :) :)

Some screens are more prone to burn than others...

The Panasonics normally tend to be very good when it comes to screen burn and I asked the question the other day about if anyone had a seen one burnt in a home environment.

The answer came back as no, but as a rule they tend to be too bright out of the box. If common sense is used and the thing isn't left on bright logo'd channels for hours on end it shoud be ok.

Presumably the pe30 should be the same as the current 6 series so should be ok.

I also have sky+ and have the same screen on order.

Just out of interest where are you thinking of purchasing it from?

Pah.

I've had enough of waiting...

I actually ordered a pa20 which I have seen and was pleased with.

However AV-Sales were unable to to source me one as supplies at Panasonic had dried up.

A friend of mine however was at the launch of the new pe30 and he told me that the picture was great.

Av-sales then contacted me and explained they could stick me on the waiting list for one if I wanted.

I'd had enough of waiting and the missus likes the styling so I thought why not.

Besides if I don't jump in feet first who is going to report back to the forums? :)

I'm taking one for the team.

I have seen the PE30 and if you are expecting a Pa20 style then you will be suprised! Also are you planning to wall mount it or buy the panny stand??? as it will be a real pain to wall mount and panny only showed it on stands the stand is dedicated and although I only had 3 hours with them i cant see how you can mount it properly unless on the panny stand which makes it look like a rear projector!!!

Originally posted by hornydragon
I have seen the PE30 and if you are expecting a Pa20 style then you will be suprised! Also are you planning to wall mount it or buy the panny stand??? as it will be a real pain to wall mount and panny only showed it on stands the stand is dedicated and although I only had 3 hours with them i cant see how you can mount it properly unless on the panny stand which makes it look like a rear projector!!!

I'm all ears...

When you say pa20 style, do you mean styling wise of the actual screen or picture wise?

Obviously, the more info the better.

I was planning to wall mount it and I know the curled bit at the bottom is designed to fit nicely into the stand. My uncle was going to be involved in the install and he was going to do all of the channeling into the wall and hiding of wires.

The deal from av-sales does include a wall mount.

Can you give me your thoughts on the picture it displayed?

Can you explain the wall mounting point. Why is it so different from other previous models/plasmas ?

Hi all

Horneydragon is quite correct when he says that it is going to be more difficult to wall mount the PE30. The sub is built into the rear of the unit which creates a 'lump' that means that the slimline universal mounts cannot be used. There are a couple of universal mounts that may be possible to use and these options are being looked into.

Originally posted by Alastair Collie
Hi all

Horneydragon is quite correct when he says that it is going to be more difficult to wall mount the PE30. The sub is built into the rear of the unit which creates a 'lump' that means that the slimline universal mounts cannot be used. There are a couple of universal mounts that may be possible to use and these options are being looked into.

No one mentioned that when selling it to me... ;)

Can we have more info regarding the picture displayed by it when actually on as well please.

You are not alone Horny, don't take it personally! I have every faith it will be good in the picture department, and hope it will be truly excellent, at last, a plasma tv just like I have been banging on about for a year or more!! If it's like a PW6 it will indeed be shipped with contrast set to maximum, so get in there and turn it down, don't leave it on TMF all day, press backup regularly for the red dot, and it will be fine.

No cause i aint got one yet panny arent releasing stock till 1/4/04 (to us anyway!)

ah...

I meant what were your initial impressions of the picture when you saw it?

Or was it not switched on?

I'm getting edgy now as it needs to be wall mounted due to children and space.

The wall mount thing will need a little time for a good solution. As Alastair says, the lump at the bottom will require either big spacers or a new approach mount wise, and in fact may not be that satisfactory wall mounted at all. It's never going to go as flat, and a recessed mount would interfere with sound to some extent. Might you be better off with a PW6, side speakers if you must, and a freeview box?

Originally posted by MAW
The wall mount thing will need a little time for a good solution. As Alastair says, the lump at the bottom will require either big spacers or a new approach mount wise, and in fact may not be that satisfactory wall mounted at all. It's never going to go as flat, and a recessed mount would interfere with sound to some extent. Might you be better off with a PW6, side speakers if you must, and a freeview box?

Well...

Now that the doubt has been cast in my mind, I've been thinking about the Fuji as a backup plan.

However I'm guessing that the speakers for it look like the Panny add on ones which are frankly ugly.

I've got to do a bit of investigation, but I'm guessing that the Fuji has the spring clips so that you can add speakers. I now need to find a nice looking pair of quality stereo speakers that I can wall mount either side of the plasma to satisfy the family.

I've seen the fuji, but I never investigated where the connections are. Do I remember rightly that they are on the side ? (edit: think I was getting confused with the NEC)

I'll need to decide soon though...

When you put together a separates package (monitor + freeview + cable + etc ) as MAW suggests, what is the best way to make remote control user/family friendly?
As opposed to the "all in one tv" version for simple family use.

Deron

Connection on Fujitsu (p42VHA30 Aussie spec) are on the rear and plug in from underneath. I asume they are the same for you, UK Fujitsu owners may like to confirm as we get DVI which I have heard may not be on some of your models so could be some other differences.

Very happy with VHA30 IMHO better than Panny SD (6 series)

Cheers

Connections are bottom rear. The usual thing with remotes is some form of universal. This can be £30 or £300 or more depending on what you want. check the Kameleon by 1 for all, and have a look at www.pronto.philips.com

Ok...

How do the speakers connect to the Fuji?

Is it spring clips a la Panasonic or something else?

And is there a power rating for the vha30?

Presumably there must be an internal amp of some sort.

Seems a bit difficult to find info...

Regards

10w per channel internal amp, spring clips, will run most hi fi speakers, though obviously not that loud.

Originally posted by MAW
10w per channel internal amp, spring clips, will run most hi fi speakers, though obviously not that loud.

That's loud enough for the wife and kids:devil:

The home cinema will take care of the rest. Now to find some flatish wall mountable speakers that look nice next to the fuji...

I'm seeing a viable plan come together that is a compromise between what I want and pleasing the family. Should work out cheaper too...

Hi Deron. You asked where I was thinking of buying it from? Sound & Vision at Farnworth, near Bolton, Lancs. Their number is in Home Cinema Choice mag.
My plans are on hold at the moment coz some bastard nicked my car last night from off the drive way, infront of the house.
Ta for everyones' replies, Neil.

Originally posted by Neil Arrowsmith
Hi Deron. You asked where I was thinking of buying it from? Sound & Vision at Farnworth, near Bolton, Lancs. Their number is in Home Cinema Choice mag.
My plans are on hold at the moment coz some bastard nicked my car last night from off the drive way, infront of the house.
Ta for everyones' replies, Neil.

Ouch:mad:

Scum like that deserve a kicking.

PE30 is awaiting wall mounting confirmation. Fuji VHA30 is on standby and I'm looking for decent wall mounted speakers.

Well it now looks like there is a piccy of it wall mounted and I'm less than impressed.

I presume this is an official picture on the av-sales site...

Panasonic-42Pe30-img.jpg

It's certainly a long way off the wall. This could be a hideous own goal, 1/2 the idea is for it to be as flat and unobtrusive as possible. Do they not know why people love plasma screens so much?

i wish i knew what mount it uses......i think it looks the dogs bits. Any info on the retail price from panasonic?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom