1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 42PE30 or Pioneer 434HDE?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nujjy, Jul 18, 2004.

1. nujjy

nujjy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hello, everyone.

I have been interested in plasmas for a long time, and I think I am finally ready to take the plunge. The only thing stopping me from buying one is the plasma burn problem (and the slightly too expensive prices).

I have decided that I am going to get either the Panasonic TH42-PE30 or the Pioneer 434HDE. I have seen the 434 in action (but not the PE30) and can say I loved the quality. I can get it for around £3500 (John Lewis; Price Match) which is not bad considering I get the free 5 year guarantee.

However, the PE30 has a much longer lifespan than the Pioneer (I think almost 3x as much) and this plasma also has High Definition built in. The stand for this looks outstanding, although I am not going to buy this TV just for that! I can get the PE30 for £2800 and so you can see why I might be drawn closer to it.

Can someone honestly tell me which plasma is better? I'm sure I read that the HD on the Pioneer is 'better' than that on the Panny. Also, can anyone tell me which one has the better picture quality and also, which one is more likely to suffer from plasma burn-in.

Thanks,
    Nujjy.

2. pitpete

pitpete
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic TH42-PE30 :lesson:

3. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Maybe Im misreading your post but the Panasonic is definately SD only. The Pioneer is a high def panel.

4. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Rags is right the Panny is SD not HD as the Pioneer is.
    However this is not necessarily a bad thing. I have also done loads of research, both here and on the American sites. When viewing normal TV and DVD the SD screen has to do less descaling to make the picture fit, and many users state that as result of this the picture is actually better.
    Even when viewing high definition material, which we don't get transmitted in this country as yet, the picture difference from normal viewing distances are not that different. The lower resolution screen also has a better contrast ratio.

5. nujjy

nujjy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you have a look here:
    HERE and HERE, then you can see that the PE30 does have High Definition (see www.panasonic.co.uk)

And HERE, it clearly says
    Code:
    106cmV High-Definition Plasma Television with Integrated Digital Tuner and Speakers

Attached Files:

6. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    The Pioneer.

7. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Nujjy - I think you will find that the 50PE30 is the HD panel. The 42PE30 is an SD. If Panasonic are saying that the 42PE30 with a resolution of 852X480 (which has to downscale even a normal PAL image) is HD then they

1.are lying &
    2.think most of us are fools.

In sync with Brogan I would say get the 434HDE - I have the 50" version and I preferred it over the equivalent Panasonic model.