• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic 42gt50 contrast too high.

superhoop69

Standard Member
Even on 0 setting regardless of pic mode normal/pro1 etc the contrast is always too glary,its ok during daytime when its bright and i have it higher against brightness of room but on a dull day or at night even at 0 its always too strong.I get crushed whites graphics are too strong ,players white football gerseys are too white etc,lacking detail.
I have had it swapped out but still the same.Is is it me or can anyone get a proper calibrated white especially at night under cinema like conditions.Dont understand how panasonic can sell tvs like these.

El1te

Prominent Member
Well it's either a faulty cable or just extremely bad luck with two sets in a row, I've got a 50GT50 and no problems with what you're talking about whatsoever. Infact, I don't think anyone else has come across the problem you are experiencing from the forums here.

superhoop69

Standard Member
Regardless of mode I generally have sharpness on 2 colour on 16 brightness on 32.During daytime I have contrast pushed up to maybe 20 or so pending on room conditions
and as the day darkens I drop it down to 0.which at night is always too strong,never had anything like this before.

El1te

Prominent Member
Colour seems way too low, I'd say put it up to about 28-30. Have you taken any pics of what the picture looks like in a pitch dark room (Or at night) ?

superhoop69

Standard Member
Elite,scooby I know what your saying but colour is perfect at 16 things like faces, football pitches,sky sports and
sky news logos are all perfect.and natural looking,not too strong or week.Its doing my head in and spoiling my brand new tv.Deffinitly something amiss.picture just not right too glary.

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
superhoop69 said:
Elite,scooby I know what your saying but colour is perfect at 16 things like faces, football pitches,sky sports and
sky news logos are all perfect.and natural looking,not too strong or week.Its doing my head in and spoiling my brand new tv.Deffinitly something amiss.picture just not right too glary.

You turned off all the extra processing.

fluxo

Distinguished Member
Regardless of mode I generally have sharpness on 2 colour on 16 brightness on 32.During daytime I have contrast pushed up to maybe 20 or so pending on room conditions
and as the day darkens I drop it down to 0.which at night is always too strong,never had anything like this before.

Is 30 still the midpoint? If so, try increasing the contrast to that point
or a bit beyond.

I've found on some other Panasonic plasmas that the contrast setting
doesn't necessarily do what you might expect on, say, a tradition CRT
television.

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
As daft as this sounds but you sure your not in shop mode?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom