Panasonic 42-PWD6 compared with 42-PWD7?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by alanfcross, Feb 27, 2005.

1. alanfcross

alanfcross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been offered a 42-PWD6 locally (I like to support local businesses) for about the same all-in price as the 42-PWD7 from AV (ie inc stand and SCART board).
    What truly is the specification difference, and has anyone compared them side by side (OK perhaps not literally, but you know what I mean)?
    The PW7 would do fine, and is cheaper, if only it were in black! Perhaps the PW8 will offer that option.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Well, there might not be a PW8, only PWD. The 6 and 7 are the same from the front view, ie switched on. There are a few function differences, notably the loss of YUV on the VGA port on the 7, and the new boards that only work on the 7, and a small rumour that there might be some actually useful new ones for the 8 that might, just might, work with the 7.

3. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had great trouble getting an answer to this question because nowhere is it clearly spelled out, and email to Panasonic got no response. Here is what I have deduced, although it could be wrong:

1) What MAW said is correct

2) I am pretty confident that the screen on the 7 series offers longer life (60,000 hours), 10% greater peak brightness, and improved resistance to burn-in (Panny say "comparable to a CRT") vs the 6 series.

3) I now get less confident, but I _think_ that they have introduced adaptive automatic gain control with the 7 series (the "adaptive" bit being new) and the brochure seems to imply that they have made some improvements in the real black system. These are definitely features that they talk about in the 7 series brochure but I'm not 100% confident that these are genuinely new features vs the 6 series or whether they are just re-iterating the benefits of features that were also in the 6 series.

I too would be interested in hearing from anyone who has looked at a 6 and a 7 series side by side.

- Julian

4. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The differences I noticed in the brochures are as follows:

Displayable colours:
    PWD6 - 1,070 mil
    PWD7 - 3,620 mil

Weight:
    PWD6 - 29.3kg
    PWD7 - 28.5kg

Picture Zoom Scale
    PWD6 - up to 3x
    PWD7 - up to 4x

PWD7 has 10% more brightness.
    PWD7 has Adaptive Automatic Gain Control
    You can't connect a component cable via the PWD7's VGA socket but you can on the PWD6.

Both panels have a quoted lifelspan of 60,000 hours and both panels display 1,536 shades of gradiation in dark scenes, so the difference in displayable colours is unlikely to be noticable between the 2 screens.

5. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having browsed through the brochures I also noticed that if you get some sort of switcher box that has a DVI output and connect it to the PW's DVI board then you get the bonus of 3,072 shades of gradiation!

Anyone know of such a box? Not to mention where to get the DVI board! :D

6. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic. A good answer to this question at last. Thanks for the info Peabo.

By the way, just to clarify one figure that I introduced into this thread. When the screenlife is quoted as 60,000 hours, this is actually the figure for the half life, i.e. the point after which the screen will only be capable of displaying half the brightness it was originally capable of (this is according to the Panny description I read). Not an issue for domestic users I think.

By the way, I am right about the CRT-like resistance to burn in aren't I? This improvement is new to the 7 series vs the 6? (Although I also suspect that for most domestic use burn-in with the 6 series was never that big an issue anyway.)

- Julian

7. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I forgot to mention that. You're correct!

8. PhoneticFreak

PhoneticFreak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never had a PW6 but the PW7 is superb, had an LG before and it sucked, saw the light eventually and got a refund.......that same refund went on PW7!! Once again, superb!

9. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There must be 2 versions of the PWD7 brochure. I just downloaded the one from Panasonic's US site and it claims that the PWD7 has 2,048 shades of gradiation over the PWD6's 1,536. The original brochure I had claimed 1,563 for both the 6&7 so I have no idea which to trust.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I believe the PWD7 figure refers to the DVI input, that can display more greysacle than the analogue intputs