1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 42" PW6 and PC Gaming?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by neil20v, Jun 2, 2005.

1. neil20v

neil20v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a panny P6 42" plasma that i currently run:

1) DVD input connected through component board
    2) PS2 Input connected through component board
    3) X-box (modded to hi-def) connected through component board
    4) Sky connected connected to panny's VGA input via a JS RGB to VGA converter

I want to connect my Fujitsu Siemens Laptop (Centrino 1200mhz with 512mb ram) to the screen is it just a case of running a VGA cable from the laptop to the Plasma VGA input (i know i will have to unplug sky whilst using the PC)

I would like to play MOH spearhead as well as some other first person shooter's on the Panny but i think i may need a more powerful desktop to make the most of it. :suicide:

Are there any sky box's that output in component video?

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    games arnt all that bad and i think are very good. there isnt a sky box out that does component at the moment not until sky HD coems out.

3. Zephyrius

Zephyrius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although some laptops DO now have upgradeable graphics they are not as good as on a dedicated gaming desktop (see http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=339080&rl=1). Having said that the PW7's resolution of 852 x 480 is not as high as you can go on a monitor so you might get away with it.

Have you considered building your own Shuttle small form factor PC or buying one of the Evesham e-boxes or similar that might fit in better in the living room instead of a desktop PC?

I've built a Shuttle with a DVI-out GeForce 6600GT graphics card that I intend to install XP Media Centre on and connect to a flatscreen TV. I still haven't decided which one but am looking at the Panny flat panels with interest.

The way I see it you'll need either a DVI or HDMI input which supports HDCP to receive Sky HD broadcasts. You can get DVI boards for the panny flat panels but I don't know if they'll support HDCP. I'd expect to see the proliferation of DVI and HDMI splitter boxes in the future in the same fashion as SCART.

Have you seen what HDTV looks like on the Panny panels yet?

4. Zephyrius

Zephyrius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should have added what does the PC signal look like on the Panny plasma?