1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 42 PV500D: HD from my PC

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by stewada, Oct 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. stewada

stewada
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've looked through this forum but haven't found a lot of information on how to display HD clips on a Panasonic 42PV500D.

The Panasonic has a native resolution of 1024x768 which puts it at a non-widescreen aspect.

There are two inputs of interest.

a) RGB input which accepts a normal PC signal up to 1280x1024 (reformatted I assume)
    b) HDMI input which accepts 720p and 1080i

I have an Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 XT on my PC with DVI and RGB outputs. I would have assumed I could somehow use a DVI -> HDMI converter to allow me to connect to the Panny but a line in the manual made me think twice.

• This input terminal is not intended for use with computers.
    • 720p/1080i signals will be re-formatted to view on your display.
    • If the external devices have the aspect adjustment, set to 16:9.

I assume that the RGB connection is useless for HD because of the aspect of 4:3. Has anyone successfully connected their PC to a PV500D via the HDMI connection? If so what's the best way to do it?

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    If you can get your PC to generate a 720p HDMI signal using Powerstrip (if your ATI drivers don't support 720p without it) then it should be fine - effectively you get your PC to emulate and HDTV source, rather than your display to accept a PC source.

Also worth remembering that plasmas often have non-square pixels - hence the 16:9 image is created on a panel with a resolution that isn't 16:9 in square pixel terms.

3. stewada

stewada
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I said 4:3 aspect I meant the scaling of standard 4:3 VGA input. When I plug a PC into it I get my 1024x768 resolution stretched over the width of the panel. So although the display is widescreen it is actually stretching a 4:3 picture over it. Since the HD demos I have are 1280x 720 (16:9) the direct RGB connection won't work (1280x720 is not listed as a supported resolution in the manual for the TV). I'll have a look into the output modes in the drivers I have to see whether I can output HDTV via the DVI out and connect up via a DVI->HDMI adapter.

Anyone got a good recommendation for a DVI->HDMI adapter?