Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic 42" or 50"...which is better?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Mr Merrick, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well...obviously the bigger screen immediately seems like the better choice, but is there any drop-out in picture quality between the two sizes? I'm looking to get the Panasonic as it has the best picture quality (IMO) when compared to a 50" Pioneer and a smaller Fujitsu...however, the Panasonic I viewed was a 42" model (a 42PW3 which has been on display for a while...PW5's are said to be even better as they are the latest Panny's out). has anyone out there compared the two sizes?

Also, I'm looking to connect the screen to a PC...My graphics card (nVidia GeForce4 Ti4600) has a DVI output which I haven't yet used as my Sony 21" monitor doesn't have the relevent input. The Panasonic terminal board has a VGA input (which will do fine I suppose) but can anybody shed any light as to wether or not DVI is significantly better and also if it's worth considering any different screens with DVI compatibility?

Regards,

David

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,077
    Hello Mr Merrick

If you enjoyed what you saw on the Panasonic TH-42PWD3BX you wont have any problems with a TH-50PHD5BX - whilst the screen size jumps up from 42" to 50" the pixel count also jumps from 852 x 480 to 1388 x 768.

In a Home Cinema system the use of DVI on the Panasonic is a bit if a no go area - the terminal card slot on the Panasonic only accepts one card at a time. I'm guessing you will want the BNC Terminal card to enable you to input a progressive scan YUV signal from your DVD player and this then means you would have to swap out the terminal card for the DVI card whenever you to try that with your PC.

Also the DVI input on the Panasonics is not a very flexible or developed input - the usable input signal settings are pretty minimal.

You could look at a Pioneer PDP-503MXE as an option to the Panasonic 50" display - the Pioneer has a video card with both YUV and DVI options and though not perfect does at least support a greater range of DVI input settings.

Best regards

Joe

3. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Wow...cheers for the info Joe, way more (but perfectly welcome) feedback than I'd been expecting... Am I correct in thinking that the YUV terminal board on the Panny has a VGA input for PC's and if I want to connect via DVI I'd need another board without YUV?

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,077
    Mr Merrick

Pretty close.

The VGA input is the one input that's actually built into the display - you can purchase the display just as a VGA monitor (saving around £200) or if your using an external video processor and dont require the video card and your processor outputs RGBHV on a 15 pin again you can usually get away without a video card.

The DVI card (like the BNC or RCA cards) has Composite and S-Video in addition to the DVI input so yes you do loose the ability to input YUV with DVI.

Best regards

Joe