1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 42" Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kerraig, Jan 6, 2003.

1. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Managed to bargain down the Panasonic TH42PWBSYS to £3850 with stand and tuner. Now I know the tuner isn't really worth it but they won't sell it without so kinda stuck there. Also, what alternatives are there to the tuner? I think it's the lower resolution model but it still seems like a bargain to me.

Basically, i'm off to pay it tonight and I just wanted a simple yes or no from you guys that know better than me.

Thanks guys

2. darren rayner

darren rayner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    who is the price from???

3. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Debenhams. They beat John Lewis but it's only got a 2 year guarantee. so, yay or nay?

Is burn in covered by the guarantee?

4. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you actually want a tuner? You should be able to pick up the 42" screen for about 3k I think (the black one) unless I've out of date with prices (try a search on this forum for suppliers to check out). Perhaps the series 5 is a lot more expensive?

So, £850 for a stand and tuner? I use a pace freeview box (£99) plus a JS RGB -> VGA convertor (£125ish from memory) to give me TV capability. I use a wall mount but how much could a stand cost - a few hundred?

Maybe this price includes a long warranty?

I would do a bit more research on this if I were you.

Nick

5. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. The cheapest i've found for this same model was unbeatable.com which was £4100 with stand and tuner. I do need the stand as I don't have wall space. As for the tuner, I wasn't aware of all the new options so i'm definately having second thoughts.

6. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, it is the silver model. Can you tell me what the difference is between that and the black one?

7. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting very confused now. Found the 42PWD5 model for £3,325 online at slasma screens direct. Anyone know what the difference is between this and the 42PW4B?

Getting confued now.

8. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see that it's your first post, welcome to the forum!

As far as I'm aware, the model numbers for the latest generation Panny 42" models are:

TH-42PW5 which is the consumer ( silver frame ) VGA resolution ( 852 x 480 ) pixel model.

TH-42PWD5 which is the commercial ( D ) ( charcoal grey frame ) VGA resolution ( 852 x 480 ) pixel model.

TH-42PHD5 which is the commercial ( D ) ( charcoal grey frame ) XGA resolution, High Definition ( H ) ( 1024 x 768 ) pixel model.

The silver model is sourced from Panasonic's Consumer division and as such usually commands a higher price than the charcoal grey standard resolution model sourced from Panasonic's Commercial division. Expect both of these models to be available for less than the High Definition unit. The "5" indicates that they are 5th generation models.

You often see all of these models ending with a "B" which I believe signifies that it's a UK model & an "X" which I believe indicates that it has no video input board fitted as standard. ( meaning that you would normaly need to choose & pay for one of the optional boards in addition to the price of the screen. )

copied from KBDVD post

the panny with the 4 in is a older model some prefer this

9. ispeed40

ispeed40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got the TH42PW5B from John Lewis for £3375, not inc stand or tuner. The 5 year parts and labour guarantee is worth it though, as JL have been excellent in the past with such long guarantees.

Im not interested in the tuner, but will first off put the s-video or component straight in from the DVD.....

...and then i'll see what the ISCAN ULTRA costs in a few months.

Cheers
    Speedy

10. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Speedy,

Was the John Lewis price of £3375 a price match, or is that what they're actually selling the Panny for at the moment ?

Cheers,

Monty.

11. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Monty

RS are currently showing stock for the Panny at £3399.95, so JL should match that price, if they're not selling it for £3375 - I'll be ringing at 10!

Only problem with JL is that it takes a few days for them to verify the price and stock, by which time RS could well have run out of stock.

BTW, PRC have it listed at £3,399.94, which means RS have to match that price and beat it by £100;)

12. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Jmack and everyone else for the advice, you've saved me a cuppla hundred quid.

I've been around these forums as a lurker for a while, but have previously only read with envy. Thought it time I joined the 21st century :cool:

13. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thats a good price.

Neil.

14. ispeed40

ispeed40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a price match with the Panasonic Shop in Watford.

15. ispeed40

ispeed40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JL checked on the day for my price match against the Panasonic Shop, as they can just walk to it, as they are both in the same shopping mall.

16. ispeed40

ispeed40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont forget the 5 year parts and labour guarantee !

Speedy !

17. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got it for £3299 from RS in the end, plus tuner and wall mount, all price-matched with other www sites. No quibbles about doing it, though they wouldn't reduce the warranty cost (£250 for 3yrs, which is about the cheapest anyway, eclusing JL).

I'll be picking it up on Saturday :D , at whioch point I'll need to do a deal on the interconnects.

Also got the Limit prog scan DVD, and a new sub as my current Sony one is crap.

18. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounds like a bargain

19. ispeed40

ispeed40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Enjoy !

Our 42" is arriving on Thursday, in the meantime, I can work out what my strategy is to replace the tuner im not buying !

20. V5-APS

V5-APS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    ispeed40......what terminal board have JL supplied with the Panasonic 42" plasma ?? Also...will Watford JL still sell just the display on its own without the Tuner and is the Panasonic shop still doing the £3375 deal??
    Thanks