Panasonic 3D Noob - How to Test?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by RBZ5416, Sep 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,220
    May sound like a dumb question (& probably is) but as I'm partially sighted in one eye, I have completely ignored 3D as my world has always been 2D. I now have a TV with 3D capability (TX-P42UT50B) & the correct glasses (TY-ER3D4MA) & wondered if there's any way I can test the 3D function?

The missus has tried them with 2D-3D & reckons all she sees is a slighter darker, out of focus image. Last night, BBCHD broadcast Last Night of the Proms in 3D. The picture was initially displayed as side-by-side & the 3D signal was detected, instructing to press the 3D button. This converted to the picture to what I see in 2D-3D & I asked her to try again but she again reported no difference, just a darker, out of focus image. The glasses are paired.

She wears glasses for reading & different ones (distance) for driving but doesn't need them for TV.

2. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    The thing to use as a test is a test programme!
    You don't say what 3D sources you have but Sky have a programme, and you can get them on 3D BR.
    As the SBS pictures changed to full screen the TV is working properly, and if the glasses are working properly the result should have been a 3D programme.
    The BBC quality wasn't all that good, but there were some shots from high up that had chandeliers floating against the audience down below!
    2D>3D varies a lot depending on the material, but it can be excellent.
    You need to get someone else to look at your screen and check whether there's anything wrong with it.

3. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    I will have to ask the obvious.

She has switched the glasses on, and the batteries are charged?

4. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,220
    Only have Freeview.

Batteries are non-rechargeable in those glasses. Icon on the screen suggests they're paired & the batteries are good but as to whether or not they're working, that was the reason for the thread.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  5. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,220
    May have some progress. The glasses were supplied direct from Panasonic in a plain box with no instructions, just a pairing graphic. Just looking at Panasonic's site it appears that the glasses have a 2D mode. I'll have to check that wasn't accidentally selected & report back...

Edit
    They default to 2D at switch-on. How bloody stupid is that? :facepalm:

I'll get the missus to try again later.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  6. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,220
    Sorted.

7. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    A 2D mode should simply be the same as not using them at all.:confused:
    Anyway, it'll be months before there's any more 3D on FV, so it's time to get yourself a source.;)

8. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,220
    The 2D mode converts the 3D image back again. Presumably so that those averse to 3D can watch the same source as others in 2D while they enjoy 3D. That's the only reason I can think of.

I certainly won't be investing in a 3D source that I can't see...

9. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    Ah, right, that's a good idea:thumbsup: - something I haven't come across before on other TVs as you usually have the choice only of 3D being either totally off or totally on, set in the TV menu, not by the glasses.
    I appreciate your point of course that you cannot get use of 3D, but you chose a TV with 3D and that aspect is of no use to anyone without a source.

10. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,122
    May be obvious, but it caught me out the first time I tried my 3DTV:blush::D

Tried my one and only 3D disc at the time Pirahna 3D, which I'd seen at the cinema, so knew what it should like, didn't look at all right when I tried it, I was fiddling with the BD player settings, the TV settings, was getting quite annoyed and frustrated, thinking there must be a fault somewher, which indeed there was, with me being and idiot and not switching the glasses on:laugh: