Panasonic 3D Demo Dissapointing

Kevo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is teh right forum but I saw a Panasonic 3D demo at the Trafford Centre, Manchester yesterday (It's doing the rounds over europe).

It consisted of a 103" 3D Plasma TV, 3D blyu Ray player and the dread 1950s throwback '3D glasses'. All in a room the size of an average living room.

teh dmeo reel was various clips of sporting events, 2008 Olympics and a trailer to the new James Cameron film Avatar.

To me, it didn't look much different than the 'pseudo 3D' that you get with normal HD (I have aPan 46G15). There was no 'in your face moments' like you get with Imax 3D films or eeven those from the cinema in the 80s.

The ticker tape at the Olympics was the stand out moment and the most disappointing was the juddery Avatar clip.

Maybe it's me eyes as I have don't perfect vsion in both eyes (yet that didn't affect the Imax 3D experience)

My brother was impressed but then he is used watching SD on a an old WS CRT.

I told one of the reps (who agreed) that it probably won't take off with the masses (much like HD, 5.1 etc) as you need to buy yet more gear...new TV, 50" minimum one at that, new blu ray player and the dreaded glasses that people just don't like wearing. Plus the fact that there will be competing and probably incompatible systems

I think Panasonic and the other adopting companies are in for a shock if they think this stuff is going to sell - I dont think it will myself. A lot of people still havent upgraded to 1080p let alone this new 3D stuff. Im definitely not convinced about it myself and I like my films. I think most people will just ignore this.

And we dont need more formats and new blu-ray player standards etc either! Its just going to confuse people even more than they are already.

This has all the hallmarks of 'epic fail' for want of a better term! ;)

I thought the whole point of these new 3d sets was that they didn't need glasses? :confused:
If you want 3D with out the glasses you will have to get a fish tank.:devil:

Hi

I hope to go to the Panasonic roadshow when its in Milton Keynes next month. I don't think the whole 3D is as good as the hype. If your a Sky customer HD has only been avaliable for 3 years and its only really taken off since Sky lowered the priced of the HD box. I can't seen companys like Sky going out to spend a fortune on 3D cameras when they spent alot already on HD cameras. I for one don't want to sit around a TV with friends and family wearing those horrible glasses and looking like an idiot lol. I would rather see the money being spent so that we have 1080p HD TV, but hey thats just my opinion lol.

Baz

I have seen a couple of 3D features at my local cinema recently and was blown away by the quality of the 3D image.
Yes you had to wear glasses but the were nothing like the red and green cardboard ones still in use today.
The glasses were very comfortable and use special tech that makes the whole expereance unreal.
If Panasonic and others can agree on a 3DHD format in the future and it comes close to this i will be investing.:)

this is the first i have heard of this 3DHD..

and im only waiting for my new 50v10 to be deliverd this week ...and already there is new Tech ..

last i heard that there was going to be Super HD ..

every tv company under the sun is developing some sort of 3d.what are the chances they can all agree on one format,preferably the best one,so we can all enjoy it without worrying which one to buy?

yes thats right,zero chance:mad:

I can't see why people want 3D TV. I can see why the television manufacturers want it so they can sell us even more stuff and I can see why $ky want it so they can charge us even more for just a little 3D content.
In my view they should get HD content up to a reasonable level on broadcast TV before doing something like this. I have no interest at all in 3D TV.

If you want 3D with out the glasses you will have to get a fish tank.:devil:

Unless youre short-sighted of course! ;)

Ive always had a fish tank - good distraction from the TV. Also - if you have a cat they might interact and you can have your very own 3D 'wildlife documentary' :D (or at least laugh watching a cat trying to hit a fish through glass).

Blu-rays are only now starting to get going really - this is one reason why I think home 3D uptake will be a very small niche market which wont take off properly - not for a long time anyway.

Hi

I hope to go to the Panasonic roadshow when its in Milton Keynes next month. I don't think the whole 3D is as good as the hype. If your a Sky customer HD has only been avaliable for 3 years and its only really taken off since Sky lowered the priced of the HD box. I can't seen companys like Sky going out to spend a fortune on 3D cameras when they spent alot already on HD cameras. I for one don't want to sit around a TV with friends and family wearing those horrible glasses and looking like an idiot lol. I would rather see the money being spent so that we have 1080p HD TV, but hey thats just my opinion lol.

Baz
When is the MK roadshow? I'd be interested to see it in action though I have no intention of adopting, just curious.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom