• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic 37PX600 is a big jump for me. Is it the best choice?

A

ABP

OK going to go for the Panasonic TH37PX600. I hope I don’t regret it. I am changing up from a 15 Year old 25" 4/3 Panasonic CRT (Big Jump in size).

The wife said that’s a bit big (a first when she is talking to me) and I just hope the picture quality is better than in store.

If she/we stand close to the TV the image is a bit pixilated especially on the in-built Freeview.

Hope when I play Sky to it through SCART I hope it will improve?

This has taken some serious nagging to get to this stage and I am now getting cold feet.

Please can any one who has done a similar size change ease my concerns.

I know the set will look good with HD but that is someway off at the moment and I have quite a few old VHS for the kids that I want to look reasonable.

I have gone for this Panasonic as I feel you can get away with poorer quality on the plasma than an LCD as the LCDs seem to highlight any problems with picture quality which will be no good for the vast majority of normal telly use East enders, Coronation St etc.

This seems the best-set type for the 'transition' between SD and HD or am I just trying to convince myself? :confused:

Any advice is welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

ABP

williemaykit

Established Member
I went through the same thing with my wife. It took alot of nagging to move up from our 14" tv to the 42". My wife kept pushing for the 37" but I got the 42" in the end because a) there wasn't much in it in terms of price and b) we sit about 7' away from the TV (makes me wish I could of stretched to the 50").

The 37PX600 will serve you well. I have the 42PX60 and (knock on wood), I have had no problems with it. I don't have sky because the reception in my building is crap. Freeview reception is excellent especially for my building (the sky dish and TV antenna are on the same mast and its a high wind area) whereas our old freeview box would buckle under the weak signal. DVD through HDMI is crystal clear.

Look at the size of your room. If you have a small room, go for the 37". It will be the best fit whereas the 42" will look a bit big. She will say its a bit big (my wife said the same thing) cause you are looking at it on the shop floor and standing up close (less than a couple of feet away) in which case all widescreen TV's look big. In your living room (reception room as the agents like to call it), it will definitely be a different story.

That's my 2p worth.

chaparral

Prominent Member
ABP said:
I know the set will look good with HD but that is someway off at the moment and I have quite a few old VHS for the kids that I want to look reasonable.

Why not take some your VHS tapes to the store and try them first...

Most retailers should have one them multi players on display that can play VHS tapes and DVD discs..

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
I can't comment on VHS as dumped mine a while back,the kids have one in their bedrooms.

The freeview on this set produces as good a picture as on my previous crt. I would say the picture quality varies from decent to excellent on all channels, depending upon the channel.

What is your view distances. I have the 42" at about 9ft and the only time I have been disappointed with the piccy is with the ITV world cup football....which was poor on every TV's we have in the house (LCD & CRT).

A

ABP

Distance is from around 6' to 9'. 9' position being my seat.

Hope this is reasonable!

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
VHS will look pants it depends if the kids will mind, i find VHS unwatchable on 42" but your kinds may be ok with it (i still have a VHS deck but it hasnt been used for months)

If you have good freeview reception at home then BBC channels etc should look better than they do on sky outside broadcast stuff is poor but thats the feed not the screen. Planet Earth was stunning but it was all shot and mastered in HD then downmixed for transmission stuff like Bargin hunt etc is shot in low grade SD and it shows. The othe option is to go for a HD compaitble screen like the 37PD60 at about £800 but this does mean you'll probably want to upgrade again in a few months.
http://www.digital-point.co.uk/model.php?ID=2493

HD ready is great for HD but if your using 99% SD for the first 2-3 years you wont get the benefit i suggest looking at the SD screens and if possible get a demo of HD on SD screen and see what you think

H

hon65

itsamac said:
I went through the same thing with my wife. It took alot of nagging to move up from our 14" tv to the 42". My wife kept pushing for the 37" but I got the 42" in the end because a) there wasn't much in it in terms of price and b) we sit about 7' away from the TV (makes me wish I could of stretched to the 50").

:rotfl: :rotfl: Its comforting to know my missus is not the only one, "thats too big", "we dont need a new one" etc etc, had to tease her from a 32 to agree to 42 (again i would have had the 50 sony rp!!)..:devil:

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
I bought this very same model two weeks ago. We changed from a 28" widescreen, and our living room is 16' x 14'. I'm so glad we didn't go bigger. At first my wife mildly complained that the new plasma was a 'bit big' for the room - but after her suggestion to spend an extra £500 on a Nathan television cabinet to house the plasma (perfect fit dimensions, by the way), she is actually very pleased with our purchase.

I also made sure she had a demonstration prior to purchase in properly set-up circumstances ([email protected]). Picture quality in the shop was superb and picture quality at home - even with poor low bit-rate satellite channels - is very good to excellent. She also sanctioned a matching Panasonic DVD recorder - that upscales existing SD DVD's to 720p/1080i resolution.

The basic message is: you used to just switch on your old CRT television, sit back and forget about it without being concerned with picture quality. You'll do exactly the same with the 37PX600 (so long as you have a good aerial).

A

ABP

hornydragon

Wont Be SD for too long maybe 6 months max... may be for Christmas.

But even if I Upgrade to Sky HD most of the programming is still SD!

I just want to make sure this is as good a compromise as possible as I don’t foresee changing again for at least 5 Years probably longer so the SD Plasma would be a waste for me

Also waiting for a PS3 for the Bluray DVD Player so SD out again.

Thanks to you all again you all have encouraged me. Ordering tomorrow with John Lewis for £1420.80 as they price matched Empire Direct but I get the 5 Year warranty

Dave_Gregory

Established Member
ABP wrote

"Thanks to you all again you all have encouraged me. Ordering tomorrow with John Lewis for £1420.80 as they price matched Empire Direct but I get the 5 Year warranty"

I am in the process of buying exactly the same model and was wondering how you got John Lewis to price match Empire Direct as I thought they didnt Price match internet shops?? From memory there was about £500 difference between the two?? Did you just take a print out of the empire direct offer with you to the shop?? or did you just talk to one of their sales people over the phone??.

The cheapest I can get from a "normal" shop is £1800, but that is only with the manufacturers 1 year warranty and £1900 with a 5 year, so I would be over the moon (as I am sure you are) if I can get John Lewis to do a price match.

Hope all goes well with your order.

cheers
Dave

Dave_Gregory

Established Member
Thanks Horney Dragon, I didnt realise that. I live in Cardiff so Bristol is my closest John Lewis branch, if they dont price match, then I will try and order it from the store closest to Bolton or Derby. I just hope that they dont try and charge £300 postage :)

cheers
Dave

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
LOL another South Walien there is a John Lewis in Alfreton near derbyshire (once one JL has Price matched they all have to like)

Dave_Gregory

Established Member
Yeah I had just read that in their price promise, nice to think that will happen, but somehow I dont think it will.

If not I will order it fro the Derby shop and its even worth the petrol driving to Derby to pick it up, if they try to play me saying that I am outsid ethe delivery area.

Dave

A

ABP

You can always get one John Lewis store to Price match another John Lewis store!!!!!!!!

I have done that in the past... no problem

ABP

Dave_Gregory

Established Member
Let me know when you have placed your order, as they should as Horney Dragon points out change therir shelf price. I was going to give them a ring at lunch time to place mine, and then will be drinking a drink in your honour if things work out well :thumbsup:

Dave

Dazzle

Standard Member
Does anyone know if they will price match the 42PX600 at the Bolton Store? I'm trying to source the best price for this TV. A 5-Year warranty would be very nice. :)

Brother

Established Member
Yes they will. Best bet is to price match JL bluewater with ED Bolton. Then get your local JS to match bluewater.

To make it quick email your request to them through their web site direct to bluewater giving details of competitor offer and your contact details.

Take a look at the JL price match thread for more info.

A

ABP

Hi all,

Just placed my order for the Panasonic TH37PX600 with CAB from John Lewis in Sheffield.

As they cannot deliver to suit Me / Holidays etc and I cannot wait I will collect it myself from the distribution centre on Friday... saves another £30 on delivery, so all in all I have the TV and CAB for £1420.

Let you all know how I get on-on Friday, they open at 8am !!:clap: :clap: ##

ABP :D

Dave_Gregory

Established Member
ABP said:
Hi all,

Just placed my order for the Panasonic TH37PX600 with CAB from John Lewis in Sheffield.

As they cannot deliver to suit Me / Holidays etc and I cannot wait I will collect it myself from the distribution centre on Friday... saves another £30 on delivery, so all in all I have the TV and CAB for £1420.

Let you all know how I get on-on Friday, they open at 8am !!:clap: :clap: ##

ABP :D

I just placed my order for the same with JL in Bristol for £1420 with £30 delivery, they PM ED. It would cost more in petrol and bridge toll for me to pick it up as I live 15 miles west of Cardiff, so they are delivering it on Monday. I am well chuffed to say the least :)

Dave

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom