1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 37pw5b...connections

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by elvisjnr, Jan 3, 2003.

1. elvisjnr

elvisjnr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plasma Yodas, help me, I am young and stupid.

I saw this screen today and was bowled over by it. I've mostly though plasma on a par with Pac man 'till I saw it. It trounced Hitatchi's new (36inch?)screen, and the giant pioneer, and also the dire efforts from sony and philips that seemed to be suffering from vaselene lense picture softness.

But I've got some questions.

1. John Lewis quote it at £3999. I have found for £1300 less online. Is this a dodgy way to buy a screen? The site seems reputable.

2. I also hate the idea of giving Panasonic another £500 for the stupid tuner box. Can I use a surround reciever, like a Denon AVR 3802 to handle my connections and do the switching for me? Or will I still have to hang my sky box, ps2, cctv and dvd out of the rca panel on the back of the display? Which would be messy

Worse still, would you advise in the case of all these sources that I buy the damn tuner box just to make life easier? Or does an AVreciever do the same job?

Thanks for your time and your help,

Elvisjnr

2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I bought the tuner box and whilst it does make life a little simpler the quality through it is questionable.

1: There is no auto switching, so unless you tune the tuner you get snow when you switch on.
    2: You lose the use of the VGA port.

If the Denon supports S-video then you could hook everything up through this. Not sure if the Sky box supports svideo though.

What your options are will depend on weather you have all RGB sources or not.

Neil.

3. DaveCheltenham

DaveCheltenham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Elvisjnr - I use my surround sound amplifier to do just what you are proposing but have made up an RGB cable to feed the Plasma from a Sky DigiBox.

I have Sky+ which has S-VHS but you can just feed the Luminance which provides the Sync to an S-VHS input on the Denon. You have to set up the Plasma to provide AV/S-VHS syncs for the RGB input.

S-VHS is good but the results are stunning on RGB.

4. BigH

BigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I thouht I would add my experience. Firts of all I would suggest using the best video links available in order of preference as follows:

RGBHV (typically VGA connector)
    Component (YUV)
    S Video
    Composite

If you have RGB then use it, S Video is inferior in quality and I would suggest not using your AV reciever as it will probably degrade the signal further. In essence the less connections and boxes you go through the better the quality.

Check out this link for the comparison of the standards.

http://www.kat5.tv/videoformats.html

I have bought the the 50" Pannasonic (5B) and did not take the tuner option, I hook up Sky and DVD via RGB through a JS RGB (SCART) to component (YUV), alternatively you can do RGB to VGA. Well worth the money for the superior picture.

5. saggio

saggio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    BigH,

I hook up Sky and DVD via RGB through a JS RGB (SCART) to component (YUV)...
    UNQUOTE

How do you connect both (Sky and DVD) to the JS box?

6. DaveCheltenham

DaveCheltenham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    BigH - Just a small point. The RGB does not go through the receiver, only the syncs need to be switched on the setup elvisjnr was considering.

Why is RGBHV better through the VGA input? The sync separator on the Panasonic Plasma is excellent. I accept of course that RGBHV will give a separate input and more flexibility but going through a not inexpensive additional unit which you are advising against.

7. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the two scarts on my DVD player to loopthrough. If the DVD player is off, Cable TV works. Put the DVD on, and the display switches to DVD automatically.

James

8. DaveCheltenham

DaveCheltenham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    saggio - I effectively do the same with my DVD and DigiBox but using a direct RGB connection rather than using the JS Box. It works fine.

9. saggio

saggio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thank you.

Dave:
    what do you mean by "..direct RGB connection.." ? is it a special cable? (I assume you use your Plasma VGA input)

JAMES:
    I would like to do the same as you, but the DVD player I am buying (Arcam DV88+) has only got 1x scart and 1x YUV. I do not suppose that I can loopthrough SCART from a cablebox to be come out as YUV (unless that 3x rca output can be used as RGB, but I do not know that)

10. DaveCheltenham

DaveCheltenham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    saggio - No, assuming you have the RCA of BNC Input Board, the direct RGB and composite out from the SCART can be connected to it. If you have an AV amp, the composite can be switched via that. It can be a made up cable (£10 approx) or you can buy them from about £30 upwards.

If you decide to go that way, I will send you some more details.

11. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saggio,

That DVD does PAL PS yes?

Therefore you should definitely connect the DVD via component to make the most of Progressive Scan.

Your digibox then has two options. If your amplifier can switch component video you can use JS RGB to Component. That means only one connection to the plasma and you don't need to use the plasma remote to switch sources.

Option two is to use the RGB to VGA box and use the PC input of the plasma. Most people think this gives a slightly sharper picture.

Dave is talking about using a SCART to 4 RCA cable, where you use the composite connection for sync and RGB into the plasma, but this would stop you using the Component inputs and progressive scan.

James

12. saggio

saggio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    James, you got it right.
    I was trying to eliminate one connection to the PLasma, but my AV amp does not switch Component.

Another alternative is to loopthrough the DVD via the Cable Box SCART input and then one single connection to the plasma with a JS box out of the Cable Box. But I am reluctant to add so many connections on the DVD path to the Plasma. I will go for a direct Component link.

13. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You would be wasting your money on the Arcam if you connected it any other way...

Run the extra cable, you'll thank me for it!

:D

14. elvisjnr

elvisjnr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still mildly confused, but I'm starting to get the feeling that this is not uncommon here:p. I think I'll skip the tuner box and work everything else out as I go. I guess the main thing is to keep the sources you really care about as clean as possible (progscan dvd) and not care so much about where your ps2 ends up. I'll continue on this long road and report back later. If anyone could give me some advice on buying from an internet site and how much of a bad idea this might be I would be most grateful

thanks
    p

15. BigH

BigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Saggio,

I connect my Sky and DVD using the RGB loop through on the DVD, then connect to the JS Box.

Sky>scart>DVD>scart>JS RGB-YUV>RCA to Plasma.

You may ask why not use the JS RGB to VGA convertor, my reasoning relates to the future, I plan to add the ISCAN Ultra and this only takes YUV inputs (VGA is apssed through without processing).

16. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to connect a PC to the Panasonic plasma when using a JSTech RGB-Plasma convertor in the setup (without swapping cables of course)?

17. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Yes, you can connect the RGB-VGA converter into the RCA (phono) sockets, but then you loose the component input. If you have an AV amp or other device that can do component switching then you may be better of with the RGB-Component box.

Rob.