1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 37PE30 - 1080i? Confused!!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by darrenf, Sep 28, 2004.

1. darrenf

darrenf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am about to take the plunge and purchase this screen after about 2 years of wanting a plasma. One concern is that this screen is SD or at least I thought, this is a description from another website and in particular the part I have highlightd in the stars:

Standard Resolution
    Equipped with a standard resolution panel of 852 x480 pixels in an aspect ratio of 16:9.
    The display is compatible with 1080i HDTV format of the next generation high picture quality digital system
    Also displays various picture signals such as XGA, SVGA with a compatible graphics card & offers standard VGA PC images

I'm getting seriously confused, can anyone confirm exactly what this means?

Many Thanks

Darren

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    screen will downscale 1080 into 480p internally so you can watch 1080i but will not get full impact of extra detail.....

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    darrenf

What its failing to mention is that whilst the PlasmaTV uses the same glass panel as the Plasma Display model (PW6 or PWD6) it doesn't support HD signals in the 720P format; which the Display models do.

With HD or SD up sampled sources (see latest Denon and Pioneer DVD players) you'll have to output 1080i from the source and let the TV down scale to 480i and then apply its internal Progressive processing.

Not an issue for some (I'm told) but will be an issue for others and certainly why the blurbs mighty vague!!!

Joe

4. darrenf

darrenf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So does that mean if I get one on the new model Denon's which I'm thinking of getting, I will get the 1080i after the panel has applied it's own processing.

All being well will this result in an a picture comparable to a proper 1080i display?

5. darrenf

darrenf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Also in terms of High Definition broadcasts in the future, would this screen provide a proper HD picture?

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Hello Darren

Were getting into complicated waters and as ever the manufacturers are playing the watts per channel game (more is better - isn't it!).

The PlasmaTV your looking at has 852x480 pixels - if you send it an 852x480 signal your potentially seeing the Display working at its optimum.

An R1 DVD from an Interlaced DVD player (480i) or Progressive DVD player (480P) - are potentially the optimum match for this Display.

Anything else 576i or 576P from a PAL DVD, Digibox, VCR etc or 720P from an up scaling DVD player (the Denon your considering) or external Video Processor or a 720P/1080i signal from an HD source are all down converted to display the image on the screen - oddly enough by some technical quirk the Panasonic 852x480 Displays often look at there best when being fed a 720P signal!

If you are considering a DVD player that up-samples as well as Deinterlaces (DVD-2910 or DVD-3910) your wasting some of your cash in that you cant take advantage of the Faroudja DCDi Deinterlacing in the player if your TV cant accept a 720P signal and instead forces you to output from the Denon at 1080i.

The PlasmaTV has its own Deinterlacer built in - though the idea of using the DCDi circuitry in the Denon players being its better than the circuitry Panasonic employ.

No matter what you Input to the TV you will always see 852x480 pixels - the TV 'maps' the incoming signal to its Pixel array.

Best regards

Joe

7. darrenf

darrenf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for taking the time to anwer my questions Joe, it certianly clears it up for me.

Regards

Darren