1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 37" with S-Video or RGB ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by saggio, Dec 16, 2002.

1. saggio

saggio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am about to buy the panny 37" and after long reading of this forum I have come up with these final choices for connecting the Cable Box:

(given that I will connect directly my Progressive DVD to the component input of the Panny, and that I would not buy the Panasonic Tuner, but only the RCA Terminal Board)

A) Buy a JS Technology "Plasma to VGA" box and connect to the PC input of the panny, by:
    Cable Box SCART out (RGB) -> JST converter -> VGA cable -> PC input

B) Buy a SCART2S-Video cable and (via the AV Receiver) connect to the S-Video input on the panny, by:
    Cable Box SCART out (RGB) -> S-Video in [AV Receiver] S-Video out -> S-Video Cable -> AV input

WHICH SOLUTION GIVES THE BEST QUALITY FOR THE CABLE BOX?
    (considering also that A) is probably 150 quid more expensive)

Using a "normal" SCART to S-video cable or the JS Technology "RGB to S-Video" box, does it make any difference?

thanks for all your help.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Saggio

Stick with your Plan A.

As far as cables into and out of the JS Tech boxes we tend to supply QED SQART RGB (AV4110) on the input (most customers dont bother with the audio pass through on the JS Tech box) and Van Damme on the output.

Best regards

Joe

3. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The first prototype didn't have Audio Pass-through and was based on a simpler circuit than the current version. I found that while most of the time a simple circuit would work fine, you really want it to be 100% - especially if you've spend several thousand on your screen! Hence, a new version was created with a broadcast quality device and adding the audio pass-through.

Subsequent prototypes added Macrovision compatibility using an on-board computer. It's simply the best way reliably clean up the bogus syncs Macrovision adds. It can also be upgraded if required.

It's this version that became know as the RGB to Plasma VGA unit. While you may not use the audio from the unit, it's there if you need to at some point in the future.

I have to agree with Joe's recommendation. You've bought a plasma, don't compromise in low quality connections.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.