1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 37" Viera issues......

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kiracat, Sep 13, 2005.

1. kiracat

kiracat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning,

I've got a 37" Viera Plasma attached to a SKY+ box via RGB SCART and a Panasonic DVD recorder/player via RGB scart too. I don't think the picture is as it should be from either device. I can recognise MPEG artifacts, particularly from SKY but also sometimes from the DVD, but the problem seems to be something else.

Particularly noticable on SKY - but also on the DVD worryingly, its when a picture PANS across or such,compared to my portable in the bedroom, i know CRTs can be great picturewise compared to a plasma, but after paying 2k for this i wondered if my settings were off, or what? Its kind of a smearing effect or such. Kind of like the picture goes out of focus, when its on my mates plasma its fine and a CRT is great.

Its the same on DVD, freeview or sky. i know about sky being a little (!!!) crap, but thought that dvd would be 10/10 but its just the same,

Apart from that , its a great bit of kit and i love it! you know how it is, one niggling thing and its does your nut in! i do have smaller lcd upstairs and its much better on there when i plugged it in, sky and dvds. Go figure!!!!!

thanks people, tell me i am not alone! suggestions please, i will try anything!(almost!) dont want to change it!! love the look and the style of it,

cheers

2. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    May be worth posting your picture settings as that may have something to do with it.

3. kiracat

kiracat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry, yes here u go,

contrast 7/10
    bright 5/10
    sharp 7/10
    pnr on
    mpeg nr med
    color management off

think thats all. tried many combinations of settings and dosnt seem to affect it at all.

4. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Which Viera is it? I assume its a PV500 the price you paid.

Have you got it in dynamic mode? try turning mpeg nr off and pnr off and put it in cinema or normal mode if you havent already. then maybe turn the sharpness down a bit but thats just guessing.

5. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I notice this on my 42pe50. As things move or pan quickly across the screen the ey seem to momentarily go out of focus. Much more noticeable on Sky than DVD.

Noticed it a lot when watching the superbikes at the weekend.

Like you I think the picture quality is excellent in all other areas but I notice this motion blur a lot.

My partner doesnt notice it as much and I think perhaps I am more sensitive.

I have tried all manner of settings and turned all the noise and mpeg reduction features off but no change. This is something I have noticed before on plasmas but after reading this forum and the magazine reviews thought that Panasonic were supposed to be the best with motion.

On the plus side It has superb vibrant colours with lifelike flesh tones and is pin sharp.

I am connected by RGB scart for Sky and component for DVD so dont really see how this can be improved. Perhaps a drawback of Plasma technology.

Would be interested in other peoples views but feel this may be something you have to live with. Some may say they dont have it but I think this may be down to your sensitivity like the buzzing. Mine does buzz slightly and increases with brightness of the screen and I can hear it quite clearly, however other people who have seen my screen say they cant hear anything and state that there hearing is very good ? :rolleyes:

Everyone has there own opinion but some people are more sensitive to things than others I believe so it may be that some see the blurring and others dont.

Would be interested in other users views though.

6. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi Kirakat

Try turning the Mpeg-Nr and the P-NR off. It is a subtle difference but definately better with them off in my opinion. I should also point out that its really only sky that im not happy with. DVD is superb and the motion blur hardly noticeable. It is stillthere with DVD but not noticeable to overly bother me wheas watching sports on sky is very noticeable.

The best setting I have found so far (had it 3 days) is:

Sky +

NORMAL MODE
    Contrast 5/10
    Brightness 4/10
    Colour 6/10
    Sharpness 7/10
    colour management off
    p-nr off
    mpeg -nr off

For DVD I find I can turn the contrast up to provide a more realistic (less grey) picture without the problems you get with sky.

NORMAL MODE
    Contrast 7/10
    Brightness 4/10
    Colour 6/10
    Sharpness 8/10
    colour management off
    p-nr off
    mpeg -nr off

The settings with sky are dependent on the channel and broadcast - I do vary them a bit but I find that when you push the contrast up beyond 6 with sky (although it looks initially better) it introduces more nasties.

Let me know how you get on.

Andy

7. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Buy some decent cables - I was having problems at the weekend with my new PE50 and upgraded to some pretty decent cables (QED component and IXOS scart), and the problems seem to have gone away.

8. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi

Thanks for your comments but I already have some expensive Cambridge Audio scart leads and have a profigold (banbridge) and QED component cables.

The scart lead that I use for sky is very good quality so I dont think this is the problem. it was a noticeable upgrade when I purchased it.

Also the picture quality is fantastic in all other areas i.e colour vibrancy, detail, sharpness and I dont get any nasties such as ghosting etc so I dont believe the scart is to blame.

The only problem is the momentary motion blur when things move quickly across the screen. It may be that I am more sensitive to it than yourself but not sure.

9. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Just a thought.

Is it possible that the motion tracking will improve with time ??

My 42pe50 is only 3 days old - anyone remember having a viera and being unhappy with motion blur initially and then it improved as the plasma bedded in ?

10. kiracat

kiracat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hope it gets better with time, for info i have 50 quid monster cables so shouldnt be an issue, i have had it 4 months and pretty much happy with it but for the motion blur.

back to the floor, any other viera owners have motion sickness>!!???!!

11. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,215
    Hi Chris (me again)..

I've had a few picture issues that I need to address ASAP with some decent cables. Any cheaper than normal suggestions/websites?

Also - on the PE50, did you also have sound problems with a bassy/vibration coming out of the speaker?? I'm hoping it is also down to my present cheap scart leads....

thanks

12. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617

I think all those settings are far too high mate.

Try the following

CINEMA mode
    contrast 4 or 5/10
    colour 4 or 5/10
    Sharpness 3 or 4/10

everything else off!

Now stand right next to the screen and put up a programme with black borders, turn the brightness up until you can see the pixels light up (usually green ones first) and then knock it back down again till the black looks rock solid.
    Probably end up around 4/10.

Now the image will look a little dull at first after the settings you have been using, but stick with it and you will see it is more like looking outside than watching a disney film.
    Eastenders is good thing to watch, it is actually shot with a fairly drab feel to it (compared to Home & Away and such like) and there shouldn't be too much colour anywhwere.
    Also look at brick walls, should be dusty red, not pillar box red.

See how you get on with those settings, but give it 48 hours to get used to it.

13. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The reason you'll see green pixels first is because the human eye is most sensitive to the green spectrum aparently.

Dont forget there is a run-in period of about 200 hours where the planel wears in, just think of it like a new pair of shoes, you have to use them for a bit before they feel most comfortable :)

14. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    "Is it possible that the motion tracking will improve with time ??"

I only got my TV on Saturday and have had it on for about 60 hours already (I've been leaving it on all day to get it run in properly, seems a bit daft I know).It gets better everytime I look at it and from the first thing I watched (Soccer AM) which wasn't all that great (especially with some of the poor recordings at various games around Europe) there was a fair bit of blur, but not a huge problem.

We watched Spooks last night and the picture was looking magnificent - I've got it in cinema and with everything just under the 50% mark (approx).

"I've had a few picture issues that I need to address ASAP with some decent cables. Any cheaper than normal suggestions/websites?"

DJ, I've looked all over the place for the last few weeks and decided to go on ebay and just try to do deals with people there - it has been pretty successful and got a QED component cable for half price and an IXOS scart for about 70% of the price. I can't afford to pay top dollar for all these things so think that's your best bet...

Also, strangely, I haven't listened to the sound through the TV once! I listen to everything through my home cinema and to be honest hadn't even thought about sound - I'll have a play tonight and let you know.

15. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I feel that my PE30 has improved with time, although that could be psychological.;)

16. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,215
    Chris - please do try the sound, I'd like to know if it's just mine or a general thing with cheap scarts before I invest in new ones...The MTV channels with heavy base vibrate & I can hear it coming out from the right hand side of the speaker panel as you look at it.. cheers

17. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    had my 42pa50 for a couple of months, and must say that the motion blur thing doesn't go anywhere. Yes, picture improves, but this issue is more hardware related i fear.
    Any kind of panning results in out of focus picture, even on low pannings. so get used to it, or get rid of the plasma, unfortunatly. once you've noticed it, it can become quite annoying, considering that this is nonexistent on my crt tv, and this big expensive thing is blur-o-rama. but thats the way it is.
    in movies, its rarely a problem. in some games, particularly 1st perspective style games such as resident evil 4, fps, etc its shows very much.

18. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    double post

19. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi Kengi-SaN

Are you saying that all Panasonics generally tend to suffer from motion blur or all plasmas in general.

Basically if I swap my 42pe50 for a Hitachi 42pd700 am I going to experience the same blurring with motion ?

If so, looks like Plasma's are not for me. If you think the footies bad, you shopuld try watching the bike racing, the bikes look blurry as they pan across the screen - makes me feel sickly after a while.

20. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi ive got a panny pe37, watched the hammers rerun tday at dinnertime,
    i had it in dynamic mode, and pic was stunning, very little motion blur on the pich, no artefacts around the players, was well chuffed.
    watched same match last night on my lg 21 in lcd and from a distance of abt 8-9 ft was also stunning.
    sky has low bitrate chs, its not the panels fault.

21. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    I watched the hammers re run today at luch too and have to say the picture was great, I recorded 10 mins on sky+ to keep as a demo of sport, to show people just how good it can look.
    I would get your set off Dynamic mode though, you are really over driving the thing, bit like driving an M3 at 7000rpm all the time, not only is it not where it will perform at its best but it will also kill it pretty quickly too.

22. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its most likely a plasma thing. but lcd's are far worse on this, so it's as good as it gets atm.
    As said, for pc use, movies, and tv use where the whole picture is not zooming around constantly, the picture's fine. But in fast paced pictures, like panning in fps videogames and as you mentioned, bike races, its blur.
    On the other hand, rarely do we watch a picture that's constantly moving very fast, nobody could endure that in the long run. And fast moving bikes zooming across the screen or similiar situations are not the moments you get to absorb alot of deatils anyway. So the relevance of this 'problem' can vary greatly from user to user, depending on the content you watch. For most people, i'd say 95% of your general plasma use, it wouldn't be a problem, or cause of annoyance. For the 5%, it's a compromise you can learn to live with for the price of a very flat screen in 42" producing an otherwise great picture.

23. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    There shouldn't really be any noticable blur/ghosting, most panels now have a decent enough response time to make ghosting a thing of the past, I'm not sure which model panasonic you have but I didn't see any ghosting on the PV500's when I was checking them out at a local AV shop.

24. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Thanks Kenji-san, its could to get confirmation of what i suspected although not too good as I watch all the Motogp and superbike action.

I hooked my Sony 41" CRT rear projection up last night alongside the plasma to compare with the same feed. Some motion blur is evident on this TV (fast pans) as well so its not all down to the plasma but it is definately more prominent and noticeable on the plasma.

A good example is when the bikes are coming towards you at speed but also travelling across the screen. As the bikes get closer you can make the numbers out on the sony but they are blurred on the plasma.

It was interesting to see that some of the problems are definately down to the poor quality of the Sky broadcast. You forget how bad sky was on your old TV as you just got used to it and then you become more critical when you get a new one.

So, like you say I will just have to learn to live with it as the pic quality is very good on most other content.

Thanks

25. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just came across this thread, seems like I too am one of those 'unlucky' ones who do notice the motion blur on the plasma - while others in family cant see what the fuss is about.

I only seem to notice it with the football.. otherwise it seems fine. have any of you guys found a solution/improvement for it ?

chris - btw, did you find the IXOS scart lead to make any difference on your 42PE50?

26. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I think most of the problems are associated with poor source material - outside broadcasts are the worst of the lot as they are over compressed due to bandwidth satellite uplink issues. However, what the original poster has not mentioned unless I have simply missed it is just how close he is sitting when watching his Panny Plasma, or any other for that matter. The further back to the optimum 8/10 feet away the less likely you are to notice these issues. Frankly if I do see them which is rare, they don't bother me in the least. Having been brought up in the days of 15" black and white t.v's with pretty dreadful receptions issues, the odd bit of motion blur isn't going to bother me in the slightest.