Panasonic 37" G10 Vs V10

techniks

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen these sets side by side? I was wondering if the higher contrast ratio on the V10 makes a noticeable difference on the black level performance between the 2 sets?

Hi, just thought I'd answer this because I have looked at the 37 inch G10 and it is a fine and colourful picture, well a little less strong in the colour tone than some but still good. All I can say about the V10 is it is a slim model (about 50mm thick) and costs considerably more. Edit: Also think the viewing angle is decent on the Panasonics, I don't see many issues with motion but I have only watched the Pana demo, not a film or something like that

About the contrast - generally, and this includes Blacks and Whites and Grey to Grey and everything; I have no idea how they measure this and don't really pay it that much attention. For one thing, Panasonic and Hitachi LCD models I was looking at claim 10000:1, LG claim 50000 or 70000:1, Samsung 100000:1, and it doesn't seem there is a real science to it. I think one Philips Aurea said 2 million and a Samsung LED based one had a similar figure? It just sounds crazy when you put it like that to the public.

Last edited:
All the Japanese manufacturers have signed up to an agreement on one standard method of testing contrast ratios, whereas others such as the Korean manufacturers haven't and therefore their figures are to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I will try and test the G10 and V10 black levels tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments Bibby, I have always found the huge differences in contrast levels between manufacturers confusing.

I would appreciate your opinion Alsina if you could compare the two. :smashin:

what are the native contrast ratio's of the G10/V10 lcd's?
i have a bit of a dilemma - problem is, in my room at the moment i have a sammy 37 lcd and the screen is just perfect for my room. i dont honestly think i could fit a bigger tv than a 37, but i really want the panny 42V10.
is the 37V10 THX certified as well? also what other differences are there between the 37V10 and the 42?

I'd also be interested in any opinions on how the Panasonic V10's black levels compare to those of Sony's W5500 series (and G10), can't make my mind up on which to buy.

@Discover - Contrast (Dynamic) G10 = 50,000:1, V10 = 100,000:1.
The V10 also has a LAN Port, VIERA Cast and DLNA/DivX features over the G10.

Last edited:
why do they only state the dyunamic contrast ratios on LCD's and not native??
sales technique.... they know that we like the look and sound of the bigger numbers.

Curly

They do state the so-called native contrast on some manufacturers websites. It is obviously far less impressive than these other claimed figures which IMO are meaningless.

Last edited:
I will try and test the G10 and V10 black levels tomorrow.

Hi alsina, did you get chance to compare the sets? Still not seen a V10 in the flesh. I was hoping my local John Lewis might have one on display but no such luck...

I spotted the 32" and 37" V10 in real life last weekend. I was waiting for it to hit the stores.

I must say my initial reaction on how the design looked in real life was not to positive, but I've actually given up hope that I'll every find a good hdtv below 40" with a nice design that doesn't look like a peace of plastic :mad: I do like it though, because of the silver touches and the silver stand. The design looks best on the 37" I think, because it's a bit bigger (looks less like a pc monitor).

Can't really comment on picture quality yet because the set was hooked up to a blu-ray player, via a component cable in stead of HDMI.

Nevertheless I think I will be getting one in the near future, although I'm a but scared because there are still no reviews or user experiences to be found on the V10.

Anyone seen a V10 side by side with the G10 yet? I am looking at the 32" version and have been trying to decide on whether to pay extra for the V10.

I am not bothered about the ability to get YouTube on the set just whether or not it has a good picture quality or not.

I have seen a very good review on the G10 on hdtvtest but not yet on the V10.

Cheers

Hi everyone,

Hoping to answer some questions here for you,

I currently work in an Electrical Store in Suffolk, we have just recieved the TXL37V10 in store and I had currently purchased the TXL37G10 for myself, Had I known the V was going to be as good looking as it does, I would have put off buying until the V came in, however, looking at it, the only benefits of the V over the G are, VieraCast, the ability to play DivX via SD Media and DNLA (also a higher contrast ratio) But using the set in store, it isn't a great deal different.

My G Series gives a superb picture through both Blu Ray (I have a BD35) and through my Sky + Box (I begrudge upgrading to Sky HD as I don't have the movies or Sports on my package, they are not getting my extra Tenner a month!)

If anyone wants to know anything about the sets, just ask, I should be able to find out for you.

Thanks

Andrew

a bit of topic - but I am hoping you can provide some commentary around the 37s10 LCD on its performance on SKY SD

To my eyes there is no discernable difference between the G10/15 and V10, other than marketing. The stuff about black depth is clearly inaccurate and the only meaning I can attach to that is the eco mode feature - you cannot adjust the backlight on any of these Panasonic sets though.

Also, there is no real difference between the S10 and G10 other than 100hz/IFC and Freesat.

Last edited:
To Put it simply, the S10 is the same as the x10, but is Full HD, it does not have 100Hz. Watching a fast moving HD feed you can definately notice the lack of 100Hz.

I have also been looking at the TXL 37 G10 and 37 V10 and managed to compare them side by side in my local tv retailer, at first glance there seemed to be no difference in picture, but on closer examination the G10 actually had a more pleasing warmer slighty more yellow overall colour ( both sets were on default identical factory settings ) , whereas the V10 I found to be slightly more pink and cooler looking, less to my taste.
With regards to blacks, there was a noticeable difference when viewing a dark picture , with the V10 showing dark areas with far better accuracy than the G10 which looked to have a grey haze, which i would find annoying .
Neither of these sets looked as good as the Sony 40W4000 which has incredible colour range:confused::confused: but is too big for my room , and Sony have now decided to do away with the 10 bit colour panels that this wonderful tv had so back to square 1 for me !

To my eyes there is no discernable difference between the G10/15 and V10, other than marketing. The stuff about black depth is clearly inaccurate and the only meaning I can attach to that is the eco mode feature - you cannot adjust the backlight on any of these Panasonic sets though.

Also, there is no real difference between the S10 and G10 other than 100hz/IFC and Freesat.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom