Panasonic 36PL32

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Lyricman, Jul 28, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Lyricman

Lyricman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Has anybody bought this TV yet if so what are your views. Got a 5 star review and was wondering if it might be based on the PD30 with a different casing. Cheers.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Nope not a Quintrix SR tube and not Acuity chassis!
    JVC 36P38 would be my budget 36 option! and at £999 at currys it is very good value!

3. Lyricman

Lyricman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Looked on the Currys site and it is £1299. Is this an instore price only.

4. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The JVC was down at £999 as a 6 day deal only, though it has been this before so will probably be again. The Panasonic is also a 6 day deal I think so be quick if you want it. Currys do these 6 day deals all the time and they are always changeing.

If you buy from their website then use the following code in the checkout promotional code section and you will get a few quit off it.

DCBYAW

5. Maccy

Maccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look better: It HAS a Quintrix SR tube :D (you can see in that review too, if you zoom the PDF)

The "only" big difference with PD30 is Acuity :cool:

And yes, JVC would be a very nice option too :thumbsup:

P.S. Here in Italy the PL32 is called PL35 but it's the same TV

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Odd according to panasonic UK it is Quintrix tube, not the SR version! I will have a closer look!

7. Maccy

Maccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure that you have seen specs for PL32, and not PL30? ;)

In Panasonic UK Website I cannot find any mention to PL32, to tell the truth :confused:

8. boab_is

boab_is

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed through my line of work, that both Panasonic & Philips are flogging very cheap 36 inchers (36pw9308, 36pl32) which have decent tubes, but minimal bells and whistles. The philips is pixel plus however.

Possibly the last hurrah of 36" tubes before they are supplanted entirely by LCD/Plasma????

Snaffle a bargain while you can!

9. Lyricman

Lyricman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Checked in Comet today and it is the Quintrix SR tube. Off Air analogue pictures were very good and the picture on Nemo DVD using RGB was excellent with good rich Colors.
    Will not win many awards in the Styling stakes but at 36" wide and 24" deep it is quite a beast.
    Down to currys to find the JVC

10. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought the JVC 36" and am very impressed. I had a Panny PL30 (which the PL32 has replaced) before and the JVC blows it away.

Far better spec (progressive scan etc), sharper picture, better sound.

I got mine for £944. from currys.co.uk. It was £1000 and I used a promotional code for an extra £70 discount !!.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    PD30 is prog scan isnt it but DIST is very good

12. iceman

iceman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am raking my brain at the minute....need a TV as our old set has decided to stop working after only 10 years of fault free service :laugh:

Have looked at Philips 9308 for which I have been quoted £1250 (ex disp) and the Panny 36PL32 for £880 also quoted £1050 for 36DT30 which I believe is an old model now, and have seen the JVC HV36P38 getting recommended a few times on here.

So folks :lease: help me decide before parting with my hard earned cash, which one would you go for and why.

Philips 36PW9308
    Panasonic 36PL32
    Panasonic 36DT30
    JVC HV36P38

I would have added the TX36PD30 as its a lovely looking TV and stand, but judging by this forum I should avoid due to lots of problems am I correct :confused:

Cheers :beer:

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    36DT30 is discontinued line, PD30 are excellent but buy it seen not unseen! personally the JVC would get my money, currently out of stock at JVC as my mate has just ordered one.

14. Lyricman

Lyricman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I think I have now come to a conclusion on the 36" TV's. Philips 9618 nice TV, fabulous picture plenty of connections and Remote wireless speakers which I don't need and about £1350. 9308 very good picture pixel plus 1.5, Looks drab, only one shelf, only has 2 scarts but around £1100. JVC HV36P38 looks good, very nice picture, plenty of connections, D.I.S.T and £1300. Panasonic PL32 Looks plain, Quintrix SR tube, 3 Scarts + component, excellent picture with good colours £930.
    Value for money has to be the Panasonic with JVC next best value. Nicest TV and PQ is the Philips 9618.

15. iceman

iceman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lyricman,
    Are you saying that the picture on the 36PL32 is excellent as in better than the 9308 (was offered this for £1200 disp. model)
    Have to agree although havent seen it in the flesh but going by catalogue and similar models the PL32 does look slightly drab...would have been nice if the stand had 2 shelves as well :) But hey at the end of the day its picture quality that matters most to me, so would I be happy with this set.

I have just got in from doing the rounds :eek: the only one of the mentioned sets I saw was the JVC HV36P38SJ @ £1299

Wasnt that impressed by the picture but then again it was in currys where they seem to think it doesnt matter how poor the feed is....is this the set to go for ??

Have ordered the 36PL32 @ £880 delivered TBH I dont know if this was a good move and can cancel :blush:

16. C.Wolf

C.Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Iceman, where did you get the panasonic for £880?

17. Lyricman

Lyricman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The Philips 9618 was the best picture, The 9308 was excellent and I must admit that the pixel plus does make the picture look sharper. The PL32 had fabulous colours and a great picture but didn't quite as sharp as the Philips perhaps a liitle softer and maybe not quite as much detail, but for the price difference I think the PL32 is the best value and it has 3 scarts and component video connections, the 9308 only has 2 scarts.

18. iceman

iceman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currys online m8

Currys

Also used a discount code which I found somewhere on these forums which took another few pounds off ;) PM me and I will have a look for it for you I wrote it down but cant find it at the minute :confused:

Cheers :beer:

19. iceman

iceman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, Sorry is this going off topic to much :oops:

Went last night and looked at 44" LG44NZ23RB @£980 picture seems good for a screen this size, only worry is that it will look tooo big ! in the room.

Also Toshiba 36ZD26P @ £1080 which is a good looking set.

Now I'm really confused

20. C.Wolf

C.Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Iceman,
    When I bought my 29" sony it seemed too big for the room. Then a couple of years later when I bought the 33" toshiba this too seemed too big. I now think that there is no such thing (within reason) as too big, the bigger the better. If the LG44 you refer to is plasma then beware. I was told by an engineer that a 5 year warranty will set you back around a grand because they arent repairable, therefore must be renewed for any fault. This is only what I was told, but check it out before considering a purchase.

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    LG 44 is an RPTV IIRC, Plasma are as repairable as a tube TV so don't stress to much. If warranty is a big issue for you buy from JL with 5 year gaurantee. Or consider a commercial biased display, Fujitsu are available with 3 year on site warranty, 48 hour hotswap.

22. iceman

iceman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep thats the one :) looked at it again today its a good looking set but its just to overpowering for quite a small room, when sitting on the stand it is going to look a tad big :(

Rang Currys this morning to check that I could cancel the 36PL32...if I should have happened to make a decision this afternoon and buy locally, cust serv told me the order had been cancelled anyway because they have no stock and dont know when they will have :mad: thanks for emailing me and letting me know !! :censored:

So spent another afternoon looking and comparing :blush: and have at this point decided to go for the 36" Philips with pixel plus :D picture on these looks :cool:

Have been quoted £1150 delivered....

Cheers :thumbsup:

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    did you see the JVC 36P38 DIST set???

24. C.Wolf

C.Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Ive also been to currys today to look at the 36" jvc that horny dragon recommends. It looked at least as good as the pixel plus philips, and a fair bit better than the panasonic. The problem is that its £370 more than the panasonic, so a direct comparison is rather unfair. Therefore im still pondering! :rolleyes:

25. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    ah well currys were knocking them out at £999 a few weeks ago!!!!!

26. C.Wolf

C.Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    If they go for £999 again before I buy, then ill seriously consider one. But for £1299 its in philips 9618 territory, and at this price I would much rather have the philips even with its problems.

27. iceman

iceman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    horny do you reckon the JVC is better, than the Philips P+

I did see one in the local Currys but they are looking for £1299 IIRC, It was in the same row as the Philips along with other 36"ers Tosh picture frame and a Sony something....out of what was there Philips looked best....although its hard to compare in these places when they cant even be bothered to set the bloomin things up properly.

Philips is still currently my choice as the store are excellent as far as aftersales goes, which counts for a lot in my book !

:)

28. iceman

iceman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the spec, size etc. of the 9618 I couldnt find in philips site :confused:

29. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Havent seen Philips 36", but on paper the JVC is stunning a mate has just ordered ona and when it turns up i will post my opinion but JVC offer the Best VFM IMPO.

30. C.Wolf

C.Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Iceman,
    Not sure of spec, but picture is great on some modes and not so great on others like pixel plus (images on this mode look cut and pasted). Sound is 5.1 and pro logic 2, which is also useful. My brother has had this set for a year and had no problems with it. All this and more leads me to conclude that this is a set worth having if its within your budget. :smashin:
    By the way, thanks for the pm. Before doing anything else I want to audition the panasonic, as its fantastic value for a 36" tv.